Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
Re: No Religion= Peace
« Reply #260 on: October 23, 2017, 01:38:20 PM »
, but I don't think there has ever been a time when there was no civil law, only religious laws.

What do you think about those certain middle eastern countries with Sharia law? People being publicly beheaded/thrown off buildings for "crimes" such as homosexuality or blasphemy? I agree that there may not have been a time previously that had only religious law and not civil but I think there is a case to argue that there is now

I refer the right honourable gentleman to my previous comment.

Government laws were often based on religious laws, and vice-versa, but I don't think there has ever been a time when there was no civil law, only religious laws.

In places like Saudi, civil law has largely been based on religious law, but it isn't a system of laws which is exclusively from a religious law, and the civil government, not the clergy (Mostly) enforces it.

devils advocate

« Reply #261 on: October 23, 2017, 02:17:18 PM »
In places like Saudi, civil law has largely been based on religious law, but it isn't a system of laws which is exclusively from a religious law, and the civil government, not the clergy (Mostly) enforces it.

But if the government wanted to pass a law that went against the religious ideology it would never get through, in that country I think the religious leaders have more power over laws than the civic government. Maybe they don't exercise that power over trivial issues like when bin collection day is but I'd bet my immortal soul that no single law exists that they think goes against their peaceful teachings........

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 23, 2017, 04:58:03 PM »

But if the government wanted to pass a law that went against the religious ideology it would never get through, in that country I think the religious leaders have more power over laws than the civic government. Maybe they don't exercise that power over trivial issues like when bin collection day is but I'd bet my immortal soul that no single law exists that they think goes against their peaceful teachings........

I'll take that bet.

Women can vote, hold office, and now drive in Saudi Arabia.

Please send your soul to me upon your death.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

devils advocate

« Reply #263 on: October 23, 2017, 06:19:30 PM »

I'll take that bet.

Where does it say in the Koran that women can't drive? I have read most of it and whilst it does clearly classify women as a lower class of human than men it does not prohibit them from holding office or voting.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 23, 2017, 08:00:21 PM »

I'll take that bet.

Where does it say in the Koran that women can't drive? I have read most of it and whilst it does clearly classify women as a lower class of human than men it does not prohibit them from holding office or voting.
Apparently depends on who you ask.

https://abuaminaelias.com/can-women-take-positions-of-leadership-and-authority-in-islam/
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

devils advocate

« Reply #265 on: October 23, 2017, 08:56:38 PM »
There's nothing as subjective as the interpretation of the truth hey  :D Interesting reading Lord Dave, cheers for posting it.

It's another subject that I am fascinated by (religion) similar to this Flat earth in a lot of respects such as the varied opinions about the finer details and the lack of a lot of cast iron beliefs unanimously accepted.

Are you "a" Lord or "the" Lord? by the way

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 23, 2017, 09:24:34 PM »
Neither.
I just like how it sounds.  It rolls off the tongue.

devils advocate

« Reply #267 on: October 23, 2017, 09:35:17 PM »
I concur

« Reply #268 on: December 02, 2017, 09:32:22 PM »
Before people start fighting me over the subject, I first want to say that actually I am a Christian and I go to church every Sunday and participate in many of the church's activities. However, I am really convinced that if we go back the moment humans were created on this earth, and take away every religion, there will be world peace... I don't know about you but I would really love to know your opinions.

No, because if you have Nutella and I didn't have Nutella, you would catch these hands and I would take the Nutella for myself. However, existence wouldn't exist if existence didn't first exist. So, which came first: The chicken or the egg?" If we identify God as the chicken and existence as the egg, then the chicken came before the egg. But if the egg came first, then there would be no chicken to incubate the egg and the egg couldn't be. So if you take the Creator out of the picture, the creation could not create itself and the whole premise falls apart.

More to your exact point, without religion people would find other reasons to quarrel. If you think religion is the only reason to get in a heated debate (or a war (haha)) you should try pushing someones buttons on the issues of racial inequality (White Supremacy, Black Lives Matter, White Privilege, ect.), the ability to decide your gender and project your beliefs on the general public (I have chosen to identify as a Thick & Rich Eggo Waffle. You need to use the right pronouns now. Thank you.), whether homosexuality should be recognized as a valid marriage, and most recently, Flat Earth vs. Round Earth. I'm being flippant about these issues to show how easily beliefs can be targeted and triggered. Religion is just one means of segregation. It shouldn't be, but it is.

Thick & Rich Eggo Waffle out.

« Reply #269 on: January 13, 2018, 08:04:54 PM »
Before people start fighting me over the subject, I first want to say that actually I am a Christian and I go to church every Sunday and participate in many of the church's activities. However, I am really convinced that if we go back the moment humans were created on this earth, and take away every religion, there will be world peace... I don't know about you but I would really love to know your opinions.

No. Are you suggesting that there is something intrinsically bad about religion? If religion were not here, people would still commit atrocities. Most atrocities have not been due to religion. Stalin and Hitler, for example, killed for their political ideology. The USA revolutionary war, the USA civil war, the Iraq war, the Vietnam war, etc have nothing to do with religion. They had to do with politics and geopolitical influence.
Hi y'all. I am a typical GENIUS girl who does NOT follow the masses and who does NOT blindly accept what is told to me without EVIDENCE. That being said, I don't believe in a lot of "facts" (the quotations mean they're NOT actual facts) including evolution, the holocaust, and the globular earth HYPOTHESIS.