Offline jimster

• View Profile
FE and relativity
« on: July 16, 2018, 06:52:01 PM »
FEs say we can accelerate towards the speed of light (to make gravity) forever because special theory of relativity and never quite get there. So Einstein is right and valid? Einstein also said, and presented math, checked by millions, that predicted that when you approach the speed of light, your mass becomes infinite. So we must be close to the speed of light by now, within a fraction of a percent. Either we should be extremely massive, Einstain was wrong, or the RE is correct. Am I wrong on this?
I am really curious about so many FE things, like how at sunset in Denver, people in St Louis see the dome as dark with stars, while people in Salt Lake City see the same dome as light blue. FE scientists don't know or won't tell me.

BillO

Re: FE and relativity
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 07:20:40 PM »
FEs say we can accelerate towards the speed of light (to make gravity) forever because special theory of relativity and never quite get there. So Einstein is right and valid? Einstein also said, and presented math, checked by millions, that predicted that when you approach the speed of light, your mass becomes infinite. So we must be close to the speed of light by now, within a fraction of a percent. Either we should be extremely massive, Einstain was wrong, or the RE is correct. Am I wrong on this?
Some FEs believe in the earth accelerating.  Not all.

However, to your question, relativity (both special and general FWIW) says as an object approaches the speed of light WRT to an observer, the object's mass approaches infinity.  This requires the observer to pronounce themselves to be stationary and the object to be moving relative to them.  In other words, they are in different frames of reference WRT each other.  In still other words, to the object, it is the observer that is approaching infinite mass.

All of us here on the earth, whether it's flat or otherwise are all in the same frame of reference, so the answer to your question is unfortunately, no, we would not see ourselves as approaching infinite mass.

Sorry.

Re: FE and relativity
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 08:18:30 PM »

Its important to note there is no way that would be be able to observe the earth's mass increasing since you are in the same reference frame (earth).  No way to prove/disprove UA from that standpoint.  only way you could tell is if you were able to be an outside observer which is impossible.
Quote from: SiDawg
Planes fall out of the sky all the time