Recent Posts

Flat Earth Theory / Re: Full Moon Impossible on Flat Earth?
« Last post by Bobby Shafto on Today at 06:40:11 AM »
Post script: I don't think this is even a round earth vs. flat earth thing. I believe the explanation works whether talking about a spherical earth with a distant moon and much more distant sun or a flat earth with relatively nearby moon+sun. If the explanation didn't work for round earth, it wouldn't work for flat earth either and both models would struggle to explain it.

In other words, like the moon 'tilt' phenomenon, I don't think this is a distinguishing feature between round and flat earths. All I think it does is dispel the "need" for a self-illumination moon. It's clear (to me anyway) that this proves the sun illuminates the moon.
« Last post by Bobby Shafto on Today at 06:35:57 AM »
Thanks for getting some video of this. Here is my opinion of this:

Isn't that just the close range ball-perspective example, just with a line that extends outwards? The ball on the stick that is at an unnatural perspective angle pointing away from the sun suggests pretty clearly that this is, in fact, the same experiment.

Yes. If i understand you right, they are, but with the addition of the string to show that the terminator aligns with a straight line toward the sun, because it sure doesn't look like it'll work. It looks like the line will extend above to where the sun is. But it doesn't. It aligns.

I don't know what "unnatural perspective angle" means. In the 3rd axis (depth) of 3 dimensions, the line from surrogate moon to surrogate sun isn't the same as that of actual moon to actual sun because the balls on stakes are not nearly at distances to scale of the actual moon and sun. If that's what you mean, that doesn't matter, as long as the line between them falls on the same plane. We aren't perceiving the depth. That's part of the reason for the illusion. The other is the bearing line to the moon and the sun is a wide field of view (90° or greater), which requires panning. The lack of depth perception of the moon and sun away from us is exaggerated by that panning, which itself "curves" space when it gets collapsed into a 2D projection, either on a computer screen, photograph or just by our eyes looking up at the "celestial sphere".

You have some objection about "close perspective" being different from perspective at distances, I know. I don't get that, but I know you're committed to it so I'm not expecting this demo to convince you of anything. I just wanted to do this for myself mainly since even though I don't agree with you and do think I understand why the illusion happens, I needed to see it for myself. Even if you don't accept the why of it, it should demo that whatever the reason, the moon's terminator is not misaligned with the sun.
« Last post by Tom Bishop on Today at 06:07:10 AM »
Thanks for getting some video of this. Here is my opinion of this:

Isn't that just the close range ball-perspective example, just with a line that extends outwards? The ball on the stick that is at an unnatural perspective angle pointing away from the sun suggests pretty clearly that this is, in fact, the same experiment.
« Last post by Bobby Shafto on Today at 05:31:36 AM »
Easier to see if you do it yourself than to try to photograph or record it.

Flat Earth Theory / Re: Australia
« Last post by ScienceDisprovesThat on Today at 04:49:04 AM »
Hey, I am new around here and I was wondering what are your viewpoints on Australia. I have read the wiki and I have seen a few YouTube videos about Australia being fake but I would like to know wether you guys accept this belief.

Now that is a very powerful claim; Australia isn't real... What are you sources, may I ask?

I was not asking for an explanation I just want a yes or no answer for if Australia actually exists
Flat Earth Investigations / Re: Observing The Sun
« Last post by model 29 on Today at 02:56:15 AM »
Just get a solar filter.  You can buy 4x4" thin flexible sheets and cut it to fit any number of applications.  Your eyes and camera sensor will thank you.

Or just observe the moon for the same results.
Philosophy, Religion & Society / Re: Free Will disproved
« Last post by timterroo on Today at 02:17:42 AM »
As far as free will goes, that's an entirely different discussion. It's a philosophical debate, really. You see, we can never really know whether free will exists or not, unless we can go back in time. Only then can you study the behaviors that would correlate with free will. Once a decision is made, it's made, and you can't go back in time, so you cannot study the opposite outcome unless there is a way to reverse the outcomes in the experiment - which would be to go back in time.
Philosophy, Religion & Society / Re: Free Will disproved
« Last post by timterroo on Today at 02:11:15 AM »
Couldn't this be fairly easily resolved depending on what your definition of "you" is? I wouldn't consider my thoughts, even subconscious ones that happen, to be different from "me". I may not be aware of the thoughts or chemical reactions going on, but they are what make up "me".

This is exactly what comes to my mind. You say "God" is telling you what to do, and that is the "voice" in your head. I think everyone can relate to that experience, and that "voice" is so familiar isn't it? It's familiar because it is actually you! YOU are the voice in your head! That is what consciousness is.
Flat Earth Theory / Re: Australia
« Last post by timterroo on Today at 01:42:56 AM »
Hey, I am new around here and I was wondering what are your viewpoints on Australia. I have read the wiki and I have seen a few YouTube videos about Australia being fake but I would like to know wether you guys accept this belief.

Now that is a very powerful claim; Australia isn't real... What are you sources, may I ask?
Flat Earth Theory / Re: Flat vs. Sphere Challenge (Group Effort)
« Last post by Bobby Shafto on Today at 01:03:47 AM »
This might not even get out of the blocks.  To do that, we need some flat earth numbers to fill in the table.  Anyone?

Here's a proposal for the flat earth hidden height column, based on simply formula derived from the explanation for flat earth horizon and "bottom-first" disappearing found in Earth Not a Globe.