Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
Re: Assessing "Kings Dethroned" by Gerrard Hickson
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2022, 10:10:17 PM »
Any vertical line can be found adjacent to multitudes of other lines of various slope anywhere. anyplace, or anytime.
Are you referring to the asymptote?  Apparently you don't seem to understand that there are an infinite number of numbers between 89 and 90 degrees.

It really would be best for you to stop posting in threads having anything to do with math.
You may want to consider taking your own advice.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2022, 04:02:55 AM »
The ancient Greeks expressed infinity by the word apeiron, which had connotations of being unbounded, indefinite, undefined, and formless."
The ancient Greeks, eh?  Nice cherry.  You should have read a bit further.  I think you'd have found mathematics has come a long way since then.  Like I said, infinity is well defined, but not as a value.  We (us that know some math anyway) know exactly what is meant by infinity.  Where is the proof the finite is adjacent to infinite?  Still waiting...

BTW, here is proof that the sum of two real numbers (no matter what they are) is a real number (the set of real numbers is closed under addition). :https://proofwiki.org/wiki/Real_Addition_is_Closed  So good luck finding a disproof.
Nice cherry?

It was quoted directly from your own source.

Funny your source offers absolutely nothing in regard to counter that infinity is, in fact, undefined.

As for your real numbers...

Irrelevant to the discussion.

Toodle pip.
Yeah, they are 100% relevant, you are just not able to understand that.

Sad.

I'll leave you to your strange universe.  I've tried as hard as I want to on this.  I've given you everything you need.  Maybe go back to school?

Until next time..
Yes.

Until next time, when I expose your constant gaslighting and irrelevant commentary, as usual.
To be honest I am getting pretty bored of this place.

Offline BillO

• Huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2022, 05:18:11 AM »
The ancient Greeks expressed infinity by the word apeiron, which had connotations of being unbounded, indefinite, undefined, and formless."
The ancient Greeks, eh?  Nice cherry.  You should have read a bit further.  I think you'd have found mathematics has come a long way since then.  Like I said, infinity is well defined, but not as a value.  We (us that know some math anyway) know exactly what is meant by infinity.  Where is the proof the finite is adjacent to infinite?  Still waiting...

BTW, here is proof that the sum of two real numbers (no matter what they are) is a real number (the set of real numbers is closed under addition). :https://proofwiki.org/wiki/Real_Addition_is_Closed  So good luck finding a disproof.
Nice cherry?

It was quoted directly from your own source.

Funny your source offers absolutely nothing in regard to counter that infinity is, in fact, undefined.

As for your real numbers...

Irrelevant to the discussion.

Toodle pip.
Yeah, they are 100% relevant, you are just not able to understand that.

Sad.

I'll leave you to your strange universe.  I've tried as hard as I want to on this.  I've given you everything you need.  Maybe go back to school?

Until next time..
Yes.

Until next time, when I expose your constant gaslighting and irrelevant commentary, as usual.
Gaslighting??!!  Okay, so now I understand.

Peace dude.  Be happy.
Quote from: Ironic Pete
I DO NOT NEED DATA, I'M PRETTY SURE I'M RIGHT!!!!

You think something is true, and that's good enough for you.

Please do not express unsubstantiated opinions about a subject you haven't bothered to study.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2022, 06:18:54 AM »
Yeah, that's an Action 80 (Lackey) thing - Just rants and never provides any evidence to back up his rants. Comes with the territory. Definitely gives FE a bad rap.

I mean seriously, just because something is currently (or in the past) unmeasurable doesn't defacto mean that the unmeasurable thing is (was) infinite. That's just daft. It just means we didn't know how to and/or lacked the proper gear to measure it.

And to trot out an ancient greek term like it blanket applies to current weights and measures tech is equally daft. I mean the last time I checked it's 2022, not 7th century BC.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2022, 09:42:31 AM »
Definitely gives FE a bad rap.
Imagine how bad RE's "rap" would be if we were as intellectually dishonest as you are and judged a group by its worst representatives.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2022, 10:27:59 AM »
Yeah, that's an Action 80 (Lackey) thing - Just rants and never provides any evidence to back up his rants. Comes with the territory. Definitely gives FE a bad rap.

I mean seriously, just because something is currently (or in the past) unmeasurable doesn't defacto mean that the unmeasurable thing is (was) infinite. That's just daft. It just means we didn't know how to and/or lacked the proper gear to measure it.

And to trot out an ancient greek term like it blanket applies to current weights and measures tech is equally daft. I mean the last time I checked it's 2022, not 7th century BC.
Hey, if you can trot out anything that states infinity is not undefined or has otherwise negated what the Greeks had to say about it being undefined, by all means, go ahead.

But I already see you don't, as you admit anything that cannot be measured remains undefined, or infinite.

Offline BillO

• Huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2022, 02:17:00 PM »
Hey, if you can trot out anything that states infinity is not undefined or has otherwise negated what the Greeks had to say about it being undefined, by all means, go ahead.

Sure.

Wikipedia has it right and goes into interpretations of it in some detail: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity
Infinity is that which is boundless, endless, or larger than any natural number.

Every dictionary on the web states the same thing in as many ways as you might fancy.

https://www.mathsisfun.com/definitions/infinite.html

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/infinite

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/infinite

https://www.lexico.com/definition/infinite

I could go on...

Here are 59 synonyms for "infinite".  You'll notice that none of them are "undefined": https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/infinite

Maybe a short video on the matter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMHmJwkaQmw

Please do not express unsubstantiated opinions about a subject you haven't bothered to study.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2022, 03:52:43 PM »

Sure.

Wikipedia has it right and goes into interpretations of it in some detail: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity
Infinity is that which is boundless, endless, or larger than any natural number.

Every dictionary on the web states the same thing in as many ways as you might fancy.

https://www.mathsisfun.com/definitions/infinite.html

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/infinite

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/infinite

https://www.lexico.com/definition/infinite

I could go on...

Here are 59 synonyms for "infinite".  You'll notice that none of them are "undefined": https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/infinite

Maybe a short video on the matter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMHmJwkaQmw

The lack of the word "undefined," in your examples in that it offers nothing contrary to what I have written.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2022, 04:00:16 PM »
*sigh*
What is the difference between Infinity and Undefined?

• Undefined means, it is impossible to solve.

• Infinity means, it is without bound.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline BillO

• Huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2022, 04:08:50 PM »
The lack of the word "undefined," in your examples in that it offers nothing contrary to what I have written.

They were definitions of infinite/infinity.  That might explain why the word "undefined" did not get mentioned.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2022, 04:09:35 PM »
*sigh*
What is the difference between Infinity and Undefined?

• Undefined means, it is impossible to solve.

• Infinity means, it is without bound.
"The value of infinity is also undefined."

Offline BillO

• Huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2022, 04:18:54 PM »
"The value of infinity is also undefined."
Correct.  Just like pigeon or scourge, infinity is not a value. So, one more time, the definition of infinity is: Infinity is that which is boundless, endless, or larger than any natural number.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 04:23:44 PM by BillO »

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2022, 05:34:39 PM »
Definitely gives FE a bad rap.
Imagine how bad RE's "rap" would be if we were as intellectually dishonest as you are and judged a group by its worst representatives.

I imagine it would be pretty bad if that were the case. Fortunately, I'm not intellectually dishonest. But thanks for backing me up and agreeing that I was right about who is one of the worst representatives of FE.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2022, 05:43:03 PM »
I imagine it would be pretty bad if that were the case.
Indeed. Will that perhaps trigger a little bit of self-reflection for the future?

Fortunately, I'm not intellectually dishonest.
That remains to be seen. The question above could be a good start. Unfortunately, the statement below is a terrible start.

But thanks for backing me up and agreeing that I was right about who is one of the worst representatives of FE.
I didn't back you up on anything. More intellectual dishonesty, I guess it's a habit.

To clarify: it is you who thinks Action80 is a representative of FE at all. I make no judgement on the matter, but I think it's extremely poor of you to take one member of a group (as per your perception) and decide that the whole group should be judged by their behaviour.

Do better. Be better. Introspect.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 05:46:31 PM by Pete Svarrior »

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2022, 06:14:10 PM »
I imagine it would be pretty bad if that were the case.
Indeed. Will that perhaps trigger a little bit of self-reflection for the future?

Sure, if it's a valid perspective from a respected individual it would trigger self-reflection.

Do better. Be better. Introspect.

Words everyone should abide by including yourself.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2022, 06:18:49 PM »
Sure, if it's a valid perspective from a respected individual it would trigger self-reflection.
I see. So, even though you've immediately conceded my perspective, you will not reflect on it, because of the individual who made you aware of it - me.

That's terrible. You've definitely cemented yourself as intellectually dishonest.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2022, 06:51:13 PM »
I see. So, even though you've immediately conceded my perspective, you will not reflect on it, because of the individual who made you aware of it - me.

That's terrible. You've definitely cemented yourself as intellectually dishonest.

It's not conceding "your" perspective. I was previously aware of the existence and benefits of self-reflection before you mentioned it. I'm pretty sure you didn't come up with the concept. And like I wrote, a valid perspective from a respected individual would trigger self-reflection. You missed the bit about a "valid perspective". It's not just about the respectability of the individual who delivered the perspective. 

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2022, 07:13:14 PM »
You missed the bit about a "valid perspective".
I didn't miss it at all - in fact, I addressed it directly. Did you misread, or are you just really driving the point that you don't have an ounce of honesty in you home?

I was previously aware of the existence and benefits of self-reflection before you mentioned it. I'm pretty sure you didn't come up with the concept.
What on Earth does this have to do with anything? Have you already forgotten what you're being chastised for? Impressive!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 07:15:14 PM by Pete Svarrior »

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2022, 08:50:30 PM »
You missed the bit about a "valid perspective".
I didn't miss it at all - in fact, I addressed it directly. Did you misread, or are you just really driving the point that you don't have an ounce of honesty in you home?

It’s unclear what my dwelling has to do with anything.

I was previously aware of the existence and benefits of self-reflection before you mentioned it. I'm pretty sure you didn't come up with the concept.
What on Earth does this have to do with anything? Have you already forgotten what you're being chastised for? Impressive!

I guess I wrongfully assumed you were simply offering your brand of what you perceive to be sage advice. And advice is usually welcomed when delivered from a valid perspective and by a respected voice.

So yes, self reflection is a good thing for everyone. I think most would agree and are probably aware of the concept prior to you feeling compelled to introduce it here.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2022, 08:55:15 PM »
self reflection is a good thing for everyone. I think most would agree and are probably aware of the concept prior to you feeling compelled to introduce it here.
Feel free to start a thread on the process when you have a bit of time. Perhaps it may be a topic for you that allows for some personal growth.