I just flew through a sunset and took pictures that support RET
« on: September 24, 2017, 09:09:59 PM »
On Wednesday, September 20, 2017, I flew on Southwest Airlines flight 1293 from SJC to DAL. It happened to be flying over Texas right at local sunset. In addition, to the northwest of Dallas was a beautiful tall thunderstorm. I was able to take pictures of the following phenomena:

- The aircraft clearly illuminated by direct sunlight after local sunset
- A tall wall of clouds illustrating direct sunlight at the top, darkness at the bottom, and twilight illumination in between
- A high layer of clouds illuminated from beneath, and the shadow of a lower cloud cast upon the higher layer

Some of the photos were taken just a few minutes before local sunset (as seen from the ground at the location directly under the aircraft) and some just a few minutes after. The last two photos were taken approximately 5 minutes after local sunset and clearly show that the aircraft is illuminated by direct sunlight.

I view these photos as supporting Round Earth Theory and would be interested in other possible interpretations.

Offline mtnman

• View Profile
Re: I just flew through a sunset and took pictures that support RET
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 02:45:26 AM »
Nice photos Douglips. Dark on the ground, light on the clouds, light on the plane. Sounds like a round Earth to me.

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
Re: I just flew through a sunset and took pictures that support RET
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 12:30:10 PM »
Nice photos Douglips. Dark on the ground, light on the clouds, light on the plane. Sounds like a round Earth to me.
Yep - looks like the airplane was at higher altitude than the FET sun.   I'm surprised the it didn't set fire to El Paso, Tucson or San Diago...maybe it just boiled away a few trillion gallons of the North Pacific.

But seriously.  The 20th was almost at the Equinox - when the sun is vertically overhead at noon on the Equator.  Local sunset in Texas should have been around 00:00 GMT.   That would mean that the sun was vertically overhead at the intersection of the equator and the international date line.

Tom's bipolar map would suggest that the sun was setting in the south-west rather than in the west....and the unipolar map on the Wiki would have it be setting just slightly west of North(?!?).

In RET, if you were flying SJC to DAL - you'd expect the plane to be flying slightly south of eastward...which would mean that the sun would be slightly to the left of the tailplane if you had happened to take a picture in that direction...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/997fWFOp23c8uKM52

In FET, your photo suggests that Dallas is on the Equator.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 12:36:42 PM by 3DGeek »
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?