Yaakov ben Avraham

Re: Heaven
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2014, 12:57:20 AM »
I KNEW Kiryas Joel (KJ) was going to come up. *FACE-PALM* Lets just say that KJ is the reason that people hate Jews. 99.8% Hasidic, it has its own way of doing EVERYTHING. These people are out there. An incorporated city, it has the highest percentage of households on EBT of any incorporated area in the US. 46% report speaking English not well or not @ all, although Yiddish is spoken by 100% of the population, & all signage, even official signage, is dual language. Don't worry. KJ is a place we hate as much as you do, kind of how the Mormons feel about the Fundamentalist Mormon polygs.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 01:30:11 AM by Yaakov ben Avraham »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2014, 11:27:18 AM »
You know about KJ?  Either you live in the area or its damn infamous.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2014, 11:41:00 AM »
I live in Iowa. Its damned infamous, especially among Jews, for making us look bad! I like Jewish neighbourhoods of places, like the area of Nashville that is about 85% Jewish, enough to make my life comfortable, but w/i 10 min car ride of the Gentile world. But KJ is, well, KJ. What more can be said?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2014, 11:52:05 AM »
Well, good to know those Jews likely won't be in heaven.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2014, 12:08:16 PM »
Well, I shan't hazard a guess as to their eternal destination. & I have no objection to Hasidic Jews per se, or any other variety of believing Jew, no matter where he is on the conservative-liberal scale. The militant atheist ethnic Jews get under my skin a bit, but that's another issue. Even the non-militant atheists don't bother me. But KJ... They take religion & just make it outright weird. If it were Christian, people would call it cultish, almost, but its not pc to use that word about Jews. To be honest, I'd much prefer that you non-Jews didn't. But as a Jew, I can say, they are weird. They even got in trouble a few years back for voting how their Rebbe (spiritual leader) told them to! That IS almost cultish. You shouldn't say it, perhaps, but I'm a Jew, & I'll call a spade a spade. They are creepy.

Rama Set

« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2014, 12:19:02 PM »
Why does it bother you if Jews are called cultish?

« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2014, 12:25:35 PM »
You shouldn't say it, perhaps, but I'm a Jew

This is the new FES. We can say what we like. I even said "nigger" yesterday. It's OK though, I have a coworker who is currently black.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2014, 12:26:43 PM »
That's a fair question, & to be honest, I never really thought about it til now. I think it has to do w/ not wanting the 'OTHER' (read non-Jew) to judge us. Kind of like a Black man using the N-word, but God help anyone else who does. Its not logical. Cultish is cultish, whether I say it or you do. But it still bugs if you do. Its just one of those things.

« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2014, 12:58:38 PM »
But failure to identify a cult surely leads to failure to challenge a cult, which in turn fails to stop the spread of a cult.

Your stance seems to be "we deal with our own issues" which ironically, is a little cultish.

A cult is usually identified as a cult of a person, i.e. a charismatic leader idolised by cult members who are forcibly secluded from the outside world practising beliefs that may be perceived (by non-cultists) as harmful. [Searching for a definition of a cult seems to bring up bat shit insane websites that condemn anyone that isn't Christian/Muslim/Jewish/Nigerian]

If this is what's happening in KJ then I'd have no difficulty saying it's a cult.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2014, 01:06:08 PM »
Well, I'd say it doesn't go that far. Although they do revere their Grand Rabbi a bit too much for my taste, their practice of Judaism is in no way dangerous to themselves or others. They're just a bit creepy. Its hard to explain to a Gentile unless he's actually dealt w/ them, as Dave seems to have, & even he doesn't get the finer distinctions.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2014, 01:37:51 PM »
As far as the 'we deal w/ our own issues' thing, you're right. & a lot of that comes from the days in Europe (particularly the Eastern part, but also the West) when Jews were obligated by Gentile govts to live apart from Gentiles in their own communities, & were autonomous in internal matters, so long as they paid taxes, shut up, & put up w/ the occasional pogrom or 2 every so often. When Jews migrated here, it seemed natural to do much the same thing. Even as Jews began to live among non-Jews, that attitude of 'our business is our business, butt out' has held on.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 01:40:56 PM by Yaakov ben Avraham »

Rama Set

« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2014, 02:04:03 PM »
Well, I'd say it doesn't go that far. Although they do revere their Grand Rabbi a bit too much for my taste, their practice of Judaism is in no way dangerous to themselves or others. They're just a bit creepy. Its hard to explain to a Gentile unless he's actually dealt w/ them, as Dave seems to have, & even he doesn't get the finer distinctions.

No its not hard to explain.  Use an analogy you bigoted bastard.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2014, 02:16:15 PM »
I'll ignore the 'bigoted bastard' part of that & try to answer the question, which, however rudely phrased, is fair. Perhaps its a bit like Mormons in some counties in Utah (not the whole state, which is 70% Mormon). In counties that run 98+% Mormon, its a bit creepy. They revere the 'General Authorities' of the LDS Church to a point that just makes any non-Mormon want to run for cover. But KJ makes non-Satmar Jews want to run for cover. Satmar is the type of Hasid they are. & if you're not, run. Even if you're a different kind of Jew, duck quick! Its KJ.

Rama Set

« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2014, 02:17:45 PM »
Got it thanks.  You need to embrace your bigotry.  You will feel free and happier.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2014, 02:59:42 PM »
Its not bigoted to acknowledge that some things can't be properly understood by non-Jews. The same is true of any group. A woman doesn't always understand a man. A Jew certainly doesn't always understand a non-Jew. A member of one group can't always relate to a member of another. Recognising this does not make one bigoted.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2014, 03:53:09 PM »
Stop feeding Yaakov.  I doubt he's even Jewish at all.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2014, 04:11:28 PM »
I am now convinced that Saddam is an a--hole.

Offline spank86

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2014, 04:13:28 PM »
I'll call a spade a spade. .

Now you know it upsets EJ when you make racial slurs.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2014, 04:18:35 PM »
Oh, yes. We mustn't upset 1/32. Heaven forbid!

« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2014, 04:25:37 PM »
I'll call a spade a spade. .

Now you know it upsets EJ when you make racial slurs.

To "call a spade a spade" is not racist. Spade refers to the shovel, not the colour of someone's skin. It means to speak plainly yet truthfully.