Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
You are older than you think you are
« on: March 14, 2015, 09:23:12 PM »
Consider a number line:

When you turn two years old, at the 2 mark, you have already lived two complete years of life. You are not entering your second year of life, but your third. How could it be said that you just turned 2 when you have already lived 2 full years of life? When you are 3, you are actually entering your fourth year, and so on. Therefore your belief that you are entering your 27th year of life on your 27th birthday is inaccurate. You have already lived 27 years of life and have just entered your 28th year.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 12:13:21 AM by Tom Bishop »

Re: You older than you think you are
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 09:28:53 PM »
Tom Bishop has finally learned how to count.

Ghost of V

Re: You older than you think you are
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 09:32:22 PM »
How did I not know this? Thank you, Tom. This has changed my life.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
Re: You are older than you think you are
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 10:09:58 PM »
The subtlety of your wit can only be attributed to your higher-than-daily-value Vitamin C intake.

Rama Set

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 10:13:06 PM »
Intravenous makes Vauxy witty.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 10:18:56 PM »

I meant Tom.

Ghost of V

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 10:22:29 PM »

Aetheric intravenous.

With a vitamin C supplement.

Rama Set

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 10:25:18 PM »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 10:40:03 PM »
I don't understand. Did Tom up to this point not understand what an age is? Otherwise this is some weird new form of trolling where no one actually argues with you.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 10:57:06 PM »
I don't understand. Did Tom up to this point not understand what an age is? Otherwise this is some weird new form of trolling where no one actually argues with you.

Yesterday you believed that you were as old as your age was. Today you learned that, because no one counts the year between 0 and 1, you are actually one year older than you thought you were.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 11:00:54 PM »

Yesterday you believed that you were as old as your age was. Today you learned that, because no one counts the year between 0 and 1, you are actually one year older than you thought you were.

No, Tom. Your age just refers to the number of years you have completed. Everybody understands this. Nobody thinks they're exactly 25 years old for the duration of their 25th year.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Ghost of V

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 11:02:56 PM »
If you want to be pedantic, you're actually 9 months older than you think you are.

God puts a soul in the mother's womb at conception.

Rama Set

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 11:03:57 PM »
Holy crap I just read the whole thread. I am not sure what to say really.

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2015, 12:04:18 AM »
Huh ? Wha? Damn.
God is real.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2015, 12:35:39 AM »

No, Tom. Your age just refers to the number of years you have completed. Everybody understands this. Nobody thinks they're exactly 25 years old for the duration of their 25th year.

You are not 25 years old at any point during the year where you are calling yourself 25 years old. Your 25 years are over and you are in your 26th year all through that year.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2015, 12:38:47 AM »

You are not 25 years old at any point during the year where you are calling yourself 25 years old. Your 25 years are over and you are in your 26th year.

You have completed 25 full years when you're 25. If I understand correctly, you think somebody should be called 25 if they've completed 24 full years, and that a newborn infant should be called one year old as soon as they're born. That makes less sense. We round down, not up.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 12:40:31 AM by Particle Person »

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2015, 12:41:10 AM »
>2 years old
>have lived for 2 years

wow i learned something new today

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2015, 12:43:14 AM »
This reminds of those little brats who say shit like "I'm 12 and a haf" when you ask how old they are. Little dipshit retards.

Ghost of V

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2015, 12:44:24 AM »
I hate parents who say things like "my child is 24 months old".

That's 2 years old, you fuck. Just say 2, god damn.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2015, 12:46:14 AM »
Seriously though, the way of counting age Tom is describing is actually used in some countries, for instance Korea. What Tom doesn't seem to grasp is that in English age is associated with years old, which necessitates that you have already lived for that many years. If you're on your 21st year, that makes you 20 because you've lived for 20 years, not 21.