Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
Re: Piracy
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2014, 10:01:32 AM »
Well good.

« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2014, 07:44:55 PM »
They could always display their art in such a way that digital copies are not really possible with such high fidelity, then there would be no concern.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2014, 02:42:26 AM »
A month or two ago, I bought a pay-what-you-like model album on the Internet for about the same price I'd expect to pay in a record store, and got a personal e-mail thanking me for my generosity. That, to me, is very telling; it indicates that without threats of retribution and propaganda reinforcing the idea that people who don't pay for music are bad, the commonly agreed value of an album drops drastically, even in the view of the artist.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2014, 09:54:53 AM »
A month or two ago, I bought a pay-what-you-like model album on the Internet for about the same price I'd expect to pay in a record store, and got a personal e-mail thanking me for my generosity. That, to me, is very telling; it indicates that without threats of retribution and propaganda reinforcing the idea that people who don't pay for music are bad, the commonly agreed value of an album drops drastically, even in the view of the artist.
Or his e-mail server is setup to send that e-mail to everyone regardless of payment amount.  You'd have to have someone else buy it for the minimum amount above $0 and see if they get the same e-mail.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2014, 10:22:51 AM »
Jonathan Coulton does the same thing. Doesn't mind if you pirate his music, he even gives some away for free. Everything is easily accessible in FLAC and MP3 format in his store, if you want to pay. I wish more artists used this model to distribute their music.

« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2014, 08:03:34 PM »
I always buy.

Saying that I think I would probably download pirated media if I couldn't afford it.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2014, 08:17:22 PM »
Is it really stealing if you download it but never listen to it?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2014, 05:17:02 AM »
Is it really stealing if you download it but never listen to it?
If we argue that piracy in general is stealing, then I see no reason why this case wouldn't be. It could be seen as "equivalent" to stealing an album from a store and never listening to it.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume