Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Piracy
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2014, 08:55:10 PM »
PIZZAPLANET

Will you DERAIL this NIGGA for DERAILING this THREAD?
No, but I'll ask you to keep your crap out of the serious fora. This is your third and last warning.

Sadly, I can't even drive.

Wait what?
I never needed a car, so I never considered getting a licence a priority. I should get around to it at some point, but I keep finding better uses of my time and money.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Ghost of V

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 08:56:56 PM »
No, but I'll ask you to keep your crap out of the serious fora. This is your third and last warning.

With all due respect, Kanye West was actually contributing to the conversation with real content this time around.

Who do I report you to? For not keeping this serious thread on topic?

Probably Al Gore, inventor of the internet.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 08:58:28 PM »

With all due respect, Kanye West was actually contributing to the conversation with real content this time around.
I see contributive posts and I see derailing posts. I am objecting to the derailing posts, and the contributive posts have no impact to that. Since we're dealing with a repeat offender here, I'm not interested in being lenient.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 09:00:03 PM by pizaaplanet »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Ghost of V

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2014, 09:00:17 PM »
I see contributive posts and I see derailing posts. I am objecting to the derailing posts, and the contributive posts have no impact to that.

Fair enough.

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2014, 09:10:07 PM »
You wouldn't make a seamless copy of a car thus depriving the company that originally copied that car valuable revenue because otherwise you would have bought that car.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2014, 02:23:13 AM »
People will always take the road of least resistance, subsequently they will only buy games if they can afford to and they will only buy them if it is easy to acquire. If you are purposefully making it difficult to play your game (looking at you, EA), then more people are going to pirate it more often because it is ofttimes easier to pirate the game rather than actually buy it and deal with maximum security DRM they plastered all over it.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2014, 05:51:55 AM »
I don't think the term piracy is a particularly accurate one since nothing is actually stolen. But yes, I support all kinds of data and file sharing/copying.
The Mastery.

Rama Set

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2014, 06:52:18 PM »
I don't think the term piracy is a particularly accurate one since nothing is actually stolen. But yes, I support all kinds of data and file sharing/copying.

To say nothing is stolen is pretty pedantic and also inaccurate.

I subscribe to netflix, a satellite TV service, a music downloading site, etc... but I will also pirate content I cannot get, usually due to time constraints surrounding release dates and my desire to wait.  I prefer buying content as well, because I feel like I have a better guarantee of the quality I will receive (e.g. my pirated "Man of Steel" download has audio sync issues and japanese subtitles.  My iTunes copies of "The Hobbit" series are glorious.")

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2014, 10:05:46 PM »

What exactly has been stolen? The original owner still has full use of their copy. If I stole your car, you would be deprived of its use. If I copied a file off your computer, you are not made any worse by it.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Ghost of V

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2014, 10:09:08 PM »
What exactly has been stolen?

You're stealing intellectual property in most cases.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 10:46:16 PM by Vauxhall »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2014, 11:07:38 PM »
Oh, for fuck's sake, the "Technically it's not stealing because the owner still has..." argument again?  And twice in quick succession, too.  I guess saying it just once wasn't good enough.

Stop making that stupid point already.  Every single one of us has heard it a million times before.  We know how downloading works.  We know that the original owner still has their copy.  You are saying absolutely nothing worth saying.  If people are still using the word "stealing" it's because they're making an ethical judgment on piracy.  You know this.  Stop pretending that you don't, and stop making the most useless, nitpicky, pedantic argument in the history of the debate.

Ghost of V

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2014, 11:10:54 PM »
pedantic

The word of the month is: Pedantic.

1:  of, relating to, or being a pedant (see pedant)

2:  narrowly, stodgily, and often ostentatiously learned

3:  unimaginative, pedestrian

— pe·dan·ti·cal·ly  adverb

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2014, 11:18:56 PM »
Wasn't there a court case that determined piracy isn't stealing?

Ghost of V

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2014, 11:26:04 PM »
Wasn't there a court case that determined piracy isn't stealing?

I don't know. Google helped me find this.

Is that what you're talking about?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2014, 12:01:08 AM »
pedantic

The word of the month is: Pedantic.

1:  of, relating to, or being a pedant (see pedant)

2:  narrowly, stodgily, and often ostentatiously learned

3:  unimaginative, pedestrian

— pe·dan·ti·cal·ly  adverb

"Pedantic" has always been a favorite word on FES.  And for good reason.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2014, 07:47:44 AM »

What exactly has been stolen? The original owner still has full use of their copy. If I stole your car, you would be deprived of its use. If I copied a file off your computer, you are not made any worse by it.

You've deprived the artist of the money they would get through a sale.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2014, 09:25:09 AM »

What if you only pirate things you were never going to buy anyway?
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2014, 10:20:54 AM »

Its more like "you've been entertained without compensating the people distributing the entertainment."
It would be equivalent to sneaking into a movie theater and standing in the aisle.  You're not taking a seat so you aren't depriving them of a sale.  And your actions don't take anything from the theater itself or the movie studio.  But you are seeing a movie for free.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2014, 10:29:18 AM »
Entertainment and art should be free.
The Mastery.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2014, 10:33:55 AM »
Entertainment and art should be free.

But shouldn't entertainers and artists have the freedom to charge what they want?