Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism vs. religion
« Reply #360 on: June 04, 2014, 04:30:28 PM »
I wish we had a christian here so we could debate with him/her. Jew debates are getting tired.

If God killed himself, wouldn't that be considered suicide? Is God in Hell?

Upon further investigation, I found this. God did indeed go to hell, but CQC battled his way out.

I remember having this discussion with my old pastor. He stated that when jesus was crucified, he took all the sin of the Earth onto him. Sin can't exist in Heaven, therefore, I asked, did Jesus go to Hell?

Yes. Was his answer, But when he descended to Hell he defeated Satan and robbed him of his power, destroyed the sin, and rose back up to heaven.

A little like the last episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Ghost of V

« Reply #361 on: June 04, 2014, 04:37:31 PM »

Are you talking about the episode where Buffy dies, then is resurrected, and claims that she was in heaven the whole time? Or the episode where Spike dies? Because I don't remember her going to Hell, but it has been a long time since I watched the last episode.

« Reply #362 on: June 04, 2014, 05:03:24 PM »
Greeting: I must leave the debate for a time. In addition to single-handedly debating 5-6 persons
I am getting married

Congratulations!

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 04, 2014, 06:43:00 PM »
I can't blame him for abandoning this thread. Pointing out examples of God's acts of mischief and cheeky genocide in the Bible can only hold a person's interest for so long, no matter which side of the debate they're on. Which one of our theists or deists is up next? Roundy? Thork? ChristianRocker90?
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #364 on: June 04, 2014, 07:11:42 PM »
Actually, before I do sign off, let me say Alex, that I have no objection to God taking out whole nations in Exodus & Joshua. They were nations that had fallen under God's ban for child sacrifice, ritual prostitution, & using eunuchs as catamites, & other horrific offences. The penalty for such national offences was national termination. Where & what is the problem? What God determines is just IS just, no matter what humans like you or I might think to the contrary.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 04, 2014, 07:20:49 PM »
Actually, before I do sign off, let me say Alex, that I have no objection to God taking out whole nations in Exodus & Joshua. They were nations that had fallen under God's ban for child sacrifice, ritual prostitution, & using eunuchs as catamites, & other horrific offences. The penalty for such national offences was national termination. Where & what is the problem? What God determines is just IS just, no matter what humans like you or I might think to the contrary.

As others have pointed out, genocide seems like an unnecessarily crude and barbaric solution for an omnipotent being with unlimited resources and knowledge at its disposal. Inevitably, innocent people would have died as a result of this blanket punishment style.

Ghost of V

« Reply #366 on: June 04, 2014, 07:28:23 PM »

So you agree with God's decision to murder countless innocent people because of a few bad sinners? God could have easily snapped the really bad sinners out of existence, but he chose to murder everyone instead. That's fucked up, to put it bluntly.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 04, 2014, 07:30:43 PM »

Are you talking about the episode where Buffy dies, then is resurrected, and claims that she was in heaven the whole time? Or the episode where Spike dies? Because I don't remember her going to Hell, but it has been a long time since I watched the last episode.

No, the one where Faith, Buffy and the trainee Slayers go into the Hellmouth to stop some world-domination obsessed demon and all of Sunnydale gets dragged into Hell.

Says God.

Personally, I'm partial to humans judging the morality of humans.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 04, 2014, 07:33:13 PM »
The crime rate in Chicago is bad so we should just nuke Chicago. That would get rid of the bad.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #369 on: June 04, 2014, 07:45:07 PM »
Innocent? They were about as innocent as the Germans from '33-45 were. Pratically the whole fucking country knew what was going on in the camps & did NOTHING to put a stop to it. So Germany paid the price of millions of civilian deaths. & deserved every one. The same applies here.

Ghost of V

« Reply #370 on: June 04, 2014, 07:50:42 PM »
Innocent? They were about as innocent as the Germans from '33-45 were. Pratically the whole fucking country knew what was going on in the camps & did NOTHING to put a stop to it. So Germany paid the price of millions of civilian deaths. & deserved every one. The same applies here.

Oh so you were there?  ::)

Maybe you're making an original sin argument here, but even that's absurd. If they were all sinners then I guess they deserved it about as much as everyone on the Earth deserves it now.

What's stopping Yahweh from killing us all right now? Surely not Jesus, because you're not Christian.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 04, 2014, 07:52:09 PM »
Innocent? They were about as innocent as the Germans from '33-45 were. Pratically the whole fucking country knew what was going on in the camps

Incorrect.

& did NOTHING to put a stop to it.

Incorrect. There were those who knew what was happening who resisted the Third Reich.

So Germany paid the price of millions of civilian deaths. & deserved every one. The same applies here.

Yikes. Life is sacred. Vindictive thoughts are sinful. F- in Sunday School see me after class

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 04, 2014, 07:54:47 PM »

So you'd have been fine with the total obliteration of Nazi Germany, including the people actively resisting them, the terrified masses too weak to speak out, those trying to escape, children who've done nothing except have the temerity to be born in a fucked-up country?

Would you press the 'nuke' button even if you had the power to go down a list of every man, woman and child in the country outlining all their crimes with the power to just stop their heart?

« Reply #373 on: June 04, 2014, 10:12:02 PM »
Actually, before I do sign off, let me say Alex, that I have no objection to God taking out whole nations in Exodus & Joshua. They were nations that had fallen under God's ban for child sacrifice,

Except god condones child sacrifice.

What God determines is just IS just, no matter what humans like you or I might think to the contrary.

Hmm. You sound like a person that cannot make the distinction between right and wrong. I feel sorry for you. If god appeared and told you to sacrifice your child, would you do it?

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #374 on: June 05, 2014, 04:14:55 AM »
If any of you had ever read Exodus or Joshua, both texts have God explaining precisely why he has placed certain nations under ban. It may seem cruel to us. But it should be noted that the wars of the XX Century are estimated to have caused more deaths than all the wars of all the preceding centuries combined! So tell me: Just how enlightened is modern man? In Joshua's day, you had to see your enemy to kill him. Sword to sword, or hand to hand. Now, you touch a button in Washington, & Moscow disappears. Who is more civilised? & we've already proved that the old canard about 'wars in the name of religion' is bullshit. Even the wars of the Bible were mostly wars of territorial acquisition. Joshua & others weren't out to make other people Jews. Christians & Muslims enjoy conversion by swordpoint historically. That's never been a Jewish habit.Even w/ the Arab Conquests it was rather secondary to their territorial expansion goals. Joshua, Moses, the Judges, & the Kings may have felt justified by the God of Israel

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: June 05, 2014, 04:15:53 AM »

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #376 on: June 05, 2014, 04:18:32 AM »
in fighting wars, but their wars were those of territorial acquistion or self defence of the Israelite Commonwealth. Its that simple. Any other attempt @ analysis of the matter merely makes you out to be an ass.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 05, 2014, 04:20:53 AM »
How can you bring up that "you can press a button and Moscow disappears" without also bringing up the fact that no one has ever pressed that button?

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #378 on: June 05, 2014, 04:24:05 AM »
Actually, the button was manually activated twice & two cities in Japan went bye-bye. Talk about killing innocents!

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 05, 2014, 04:32:52 AM »
Actually, the button was manually activated twice & two cities in Japan went bye-bye. Talk about killing innocents!

They were hardly cities and they were destroyed to prevent a long war of attrition in the Pacific and an inevitable Russian land war.

Why are you comparing God's actions to humans, anyway? We're not omnipotent, therefore we have to use nukes to get the job done. God kills people not because he has to, but because he can. In humans we call that psychopathy.