Ghost of V

Re: Sonic games are literally the worst
« Reply #160 on: August 05, 2014, 09:48:42 PM »
Never forget

Themepark MMO's are a convention not a sub genre. Almost every MMO I've ever played follows a themepark model to some extent. Only exception is PS2 and that's because it's not an MMORPG.

I would consider themepark MMO a sub-genre, because it is comprised of many different specific conventions that make it so. "Themepark MMO" gives you a relatively good idea of what to expect from a game. I think "conventions" should refer to the smaller things in genres, like: jumping, platforms, leveling up, cool downs, equipment menus, dialog boxes, hitpoints, health bars, etc.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 09:54:38 PM by Vauxhall »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #161 on: August 05, 2014, 09:52:31 PM »
On the notion of the Elder Scrolls

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 05, 2014, 09:56:17 PM »
Themepark MMO's are a convention not a sub genre. Almost every MMO I've ever played follows a themepark model to some extent. Only exception is PS2 and that's because it's not an MMORPG.

Ultima Online, Black Desert, EVE, Darkfall, EverQuest Next, ArcheAge, Star Citizen, Elite: Dangerous, SWG, Shroud of the Avatar... these are all well known sandbox MMOs. Granted, some of them are still being made.

On the notion of the Elder Scrolls

Ultimately, my goal is to shift the topic of every thread on this website to the Elder Scrolls.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 10:00:33 PM by Alexandyr »
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

« Reply #163 on: August 05, 2014, 09:57:22 PM »
They're all terrible because I haven't heard of them/played them.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 05, 2014, 09:57:44 PM »
Also I literally said how the sluggish slow movement encourages fast gameplay, like I actually stated all of that already
Then why is sluggish, slow movement a flaw?

Because you are not always allowed to go fast
Which is good because it's not a racing game. If you memorize the level you can almost always go fast. If not then you will get held up somewhere but that's the challenge. The game never promises that you can go fast 100% of the time.

I am confused on what you think the flaw is.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 05, 2014, 10:00:49 PM »
Also I literally said how the sluggish slow movement encourages fast gameplay, like I actually stated all of that already
Then why is sluggish, slow movement a flaw?

Because you are not always allowed to go fast
Which is good because it's not a racing game. If you memorize the level you can almost always go fast. If not then you will get held up somewhere but that's the challenge. The game never promises that you can go fast 100% of the time.

I am confused on what you think the flaw is.

Uh... because the controls are sluggish? Hello??

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 05, 2014, 10:30:03 PM »
You really do talk in circles.

« Reply #167 on: August 05, 2014, 11:24:04 PM »
Controls being sluggish and unavoidable movement restricting obstacles are not the same thing. They're both flaws as well.

Ghost of V

« Reply #168 on: August 05, 2014, 11:35:50 PM »
Controls being sluggish and unavoidable movement restricting obstacles are not the same thing. They're both flaws as well.

A) the controls are not sluggish.

B) no. Are you aware of the definition of obstacles? Sonic's biggest obstacle would obviously be movement restricting ones, since he is mostly unstoppable when at full speed. Most of these are implemented probably so the game doesn't feel stale, many are also used to get you to unaccessible parts of the level and often reward you with power ups, so they are not entirely pointless. I keep bringing up Mario because it is basically the same premise, and you have to stop often and usually for more annoying shit in those games. One of the main goals of Mario is beating the level quickly and these obstacles impede that goal as well, but that's the whole point of obstacles so it is understandable. Every game needs something that hinders your goal or it would be no fun.. I have never seen anyone bitch about waiting for a platform in Mario, so why is it suddenly an issue in Sonic? Marketing never says that you are moving 100% of the time so that is a moot point.

If you're going to make a big deal out of having to stop, then you'd have to make a big deal out of any downtime in any game, and believe me... Every game has points where you're not doing anything, or at least not doing what the main focus of the game is. Once we take into account that this sort of thing happens in all games it becomes really insignificant. Hence: nitpicking.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 11:40:11 PM by Vauxhall »

« Reply #169 on: August 06, 2014, 12:00:42 AM »
They're akin to having a bridge in Mario Kart that can only be fallen off of in order to get across, resulting in you stopping completely and while the game drops you on the other side.

Ghost of V

« Reply #170 on: August 06, 2014, 12:07:36 AM »
They're akin to having a bridge in Mario Kart that can only be fallen off of in order to get across, resulting in you stopping completely and while the game drops you on the other side.

No its not. You're retarted.

Did you even read the post?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 06, 2014, 12:10:17 AM »

No its not. You're retarted.

Did you even read the post?

Have you ever even played a video game before?

Ghost of V

« Reply #172 on: August 06, 2014, 12:13:47 AM »
I've played Battlezone, so I think I know a bit about games.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 06, 2014, 12:20:03 AM »
Why is Sonic moving slowly or stopping a flaw?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 06, 2014, 12:21:07 AM »

That isn't the whole problem. The problem is that there are obstacles that interrupt momentum that cannot be avoided, unless you already know they're coming. Or so I've been told.

Ghost of V

« Reply #175 on: August 06, 2014, 12:31:27 AM »

That isn't the whole problem. The problem is that there are obstacles that interrupt momentum that cannot be avoided, unless you already know they're coming. Or so I've been told.
No, Alex. Rooster's question is your argument. Why are those things a flaw?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 06, 2014, 12:36:13 AM »
I've never played any of the games in question, and I'm not actually making an argument. However, if the game hits you with obstacles that are impossible to react to, that would be a flaw.

Ghost of V

« Reply #177 on: August 06, 2014, 12:40:43 AM »
I've never played any of the games in question, and I'm not actually making an argument. However, if the game hits you with obstacles that are impossible to react to, that would be a flaw.

Do you honestly think platforms in a platformer are flaws??

*mindblown*

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 06, 2014, 12:42:55 AM »

*mindblown*

If you look carefully at what I posted, you'll see that I actually didn't say that, or even imply it.

Mind.

Blowned.

Ghost of V

« Reply #179 on: August 06, 2014, 12:43:47 AM »

*mindblown*

If you look carefully at what I posted, you'll see that I actually didn't say that, or even imply it.

Mind.

Blowned.

Blanko considers stopping for platforms a flaw. Among other things.