Re: ISIS and the Middle East
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 08:52:07 AM »
But it is consumption. All carriers and jets do is suck up resources and scare Argentina into not attacking piddling islands in the middle of nowhere. They're the exact opposite of an investment, they reward absolutely nothing while sucking up resources. And their role in modern warfare is extremely questionable.
I know this. But that's how we are now wasting our money. Its a lot more politically palatable.

Sure sounds like you Brits aren't too smart ;)

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 09:49:39 AM »
We just like feeling important every now and again, so we buy a new aircraft carrier. Rule Britannia!

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2014, 09:53:20 AM »
Sure sounds like you Brits aren't too smart ;)
Please don't confuse Thork's fantasy for what's actually happening. They're not that stupid.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 10:33:47 AM »
I feel this article offers a very good breakdown of the situation, including assessment of US air power in the region.

Thork

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 02:54:53 PM »
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/08/12/uk-britain-bae-systems-idUKKBN0GB28B20140812

And today we ordered 3 more patrol ships. We are going to end up with the largest navy in the world at this rate. Back to the good old days I suppose. ::)

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2014, 07:48:42 PM »
Three? Do you know how many LCS the USN is aiming to build? You guys have a long way to go before you can challenge your big kid.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2014, 10:47:43 PM »
ISIS can't last. they have a shit flag.

Seriously, look at that. I could do better with five minutes on Paint

If you're going to take nation-building seriously, you need a good flag. One which gets its point across without words. If you have to write on your flag, it isn't a strong enough idea. It's why we lost the world cup, too many people were flying flags like this:

You don't see Germany flying flags with 'Deutschland' scrawled across them or corporate logos over the top of the national symbol.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 10:55:42 PM by Ghost Spaghetti »

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2014, 11:00:37 PM »
I realise you're just jesting, but they already have a pretty solidified position in Iraq. They occupy land that they not only maintain a strong presence in, but they enjoy the support of many locals. One of the big reasons they've been so successful is because the Kurdish and Iraqi army have had little interest in holding the lands of those who dislike/hate them.

Given the unlikely nature of a Western invasion, it looks like ISIS are set to maintain a small state in the middle east for the forseeable future.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2014, 11:13:23 PM »
So did Al-Qaida, the Taliban in Afghanistan, etc, etc. They have no real means of long-term survival, all their weapons and equipment is stolen, what happens when they need spare parts and repairs?

But I digress from my earlier point. If ISIS/ ISIL/ IS/ The Islamic State wants to succeed it needs to get its name sorted and choose a better flag. Here's something I knocked up in 2 minutes in GIMP, they insist on using the black and white colour scheme so I assume they're going for the 'pirate' look, so threw together some nice Islamic imagery in a manner vaguely reminiscent of the Jolly Roger.

You're welcome, fundamentalists. Please note, this is the 'classic' arrangement, the swords can be exchanged for kalashnikovs on request to represent a hip, modern State of terror who knows how to connect to da yoof. I'm available for comissions on the condition that nobody feels the need to scribble 'God is great' over it.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:16:58 PM by Ghost Spaghetti »

Ghost of V

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2014, 11:18:49 PM »
You should replace the swords with AKs.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2014, 11:25:32 PM »
You should replace the swords with AKs.

I offer it as an option.

Special offer Buy One Get One Free! Treat your Imam to the ISIS Classic and build your street cred with the ISIS Urban Edition. Why not buy 50 mini flags for the little Jihadists in your family and get a customised head spike absolutely free! Or get to Paradise in style with a funky ISIS headband, nothing says 'hey there, virgins' like a genu-ine, bona-fide, all-cotton ISIS headband

Call Today!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:31:44 PM by Ghost Spaghetti »

Ghost of V

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2014, 11:38:50 PM »
Brilliant.

I'll take 600 that can fit on the end of a pencil so that I can hand them out to the little school children.

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2014, 11:55:31 PM »
So did Al-Qaida, the Taliban in Afghanistan, etc, etc. They have no real means of long-term survival, all their weapons and equipment is stolen, what happens when they need spare parts and repairs?

Yes, because we fought 2 wars to get rid of them. Not all of their equipment is stolen, only some of it, and they had no issues using what they already owned to capture these weapons. They currently receive foreign funding and grass roots support from the civilians in many areas they control. It's not likely they're going anywhere soon.

Thork

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2014, 07:08:03 AM »
No, stick with the swords. they love a sword on a flag out there.

The Saudi one had the same scribbly writing and a sword. Haven't these people heard of Helvetica? Its 2014. Develop a few type fonts for your silly scrawlings! Its like these people live in the middle ages or something.

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2014, 09:50:54 AM »
Stop shitting up my serious business ISIS thread with silly flag ramblings! >o<

Ghost of V

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2014, 04:04:31 PM »
Yeah, but they don't use swords often, Thork. AKs are more relevant. It gives outsiders a better understanding of what they're about just by looking at their flag.

Thork

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2014, 04:19:29 PM »
Yeah, but they don't use swords often, Thork. AKs are more relevant. It gives outsiders a better understanding of what they're about just by looking at their flag.
They still need swords to behead people. Allah stipulates that swords are mandatory. Nowhere in the Quran does it say you have to have an AK-47. That's more of a 21st Century accessory.

I'm thinking something more like this.

Ghost of V

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2014, 05:00:44 PM »
Even so, ISIS followers seem to think that AKs = Allah's Divine Retribution.  Which is either a complete misunderstanding of the religious text or evidence that they don't actually worship the Quran and instead worship the Egyptian Goddess Isis.

Isis being the Goddess of fertility, nature, and magic. She was also associated with slaves, sinners, artisans and the downtrodden in general. This seems like it would fly in the face of their known values and beliefs, but those could easily be a cover for a more secretive systematic takeover of world religion with the ultimate goal of bringing back the Egyptian pantheon.

I suggest that ISIS change their organization's name to avoid outside confusion regarding what they stand for. Maybe: "Sand People with Guns" or "Allah's Supreme Warriors of Justice".

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2014, 09:14:53 PM »
They still need swords to behead people. Allah stipulates that swords are mandatory. Nowhere in the Quran does it say you have to have an AK-47. That's more of a 21st Century accessory.

No, no th*rking writing!

Thork

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2014, 01:32:34 PM »

No, no th*rking writing!
But the writing suggests chicken as a healthy alternative.  :-\