Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
QED's permaban
« on: November 03, 2018, 09:40:50 AM »
Let's get weird. I'd like to question, and potentially appeal, QED's recent permaban. Before we begin, here's the post which, as far as I can tell, triggered the ban in this instance:

Whereas I do agree that I am probably the only pure zetetic here, I must admit that everything else you wrote is such complete crap that I cannot understand one single sentence of it.

Are you trying to sound smart? Don't do that. Instead, talk about the things you actually know. In doing this, you will talk to folks who know more than you do, and thus you will learn. Over the period of many years of doing this, you will learn a great deal. Then, you will find that you do not need to pretend to know shit: you will actually DO (if you get my meaning).

Indeed, you will soon see that knowing shit is not what is important. What is important is the ability to think. If you can think critically, then you can outshine most of the bullshit that is heaved your way. Of which there will be plenty, over the course of your life.

THINK.

Well, it has been fun. Have a nice life.

I agree that there are some obvious issues with this post, but if you gloss over the first two or three sentences, the post reads as a passionate defence of Zetetic values and free thought. I also understand that many of his back-and-forths are idiotic, and that we shouldn't ignore that. However, he has recently been showing some signs of reform - many of his posts have a point to them, and the perspective he offers is often unique and interesting.

Junker, could you let me know your thoughts on this? I don't want to rush to any conclusions, but at face value this decision looks a bit too heavy-handed.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
Re: QED's permaban
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 10:48:30 AM »
Gonna back Junker for what it is worth.

QED is not even trying. He/she/it/they *insert preferred pronoun* says

"Instead, talk about the things you actually know"

And then says

"you will soon see that knowing shit is not what is important."

A complete contradiction. This post says nothing, it adds nothing. The over abundance of unnecessary profanity doesn't score any points either. It is also a shouty attacking post

everything else you wrote is such complete crap
Are you trying to sound smart? Don't do that.
you do not need to pretend to know shit
THINK

Quote from: da rules!
1. No personal attacks

Keep your posts civil and to the point, and don't insult others. If you have run out of valid contributions, simply do not post.

Yeah, have a couple of days off and learn some manners.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 10:59:51 AM by Baby Thork »
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 11:03:22 AM »
Yeah, have a couple of days off and learn some manners.
A permaban and a couple of days off are two very different things.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 11:06:26 AM »
Ahhh, permaban.

Yes that seems a little excessive ... but I don't want to agree with you because your moderation has been appalling of late, so unfortunately its going to have to stand.
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 12:21:12 PM »
So many of his comments include some kind of insult. It has been a repeated pattern of behavior that he has shown no interest in changing after a ton of warnings and 3 previous, incremental bans (the last 30-day ban was extended to 45 days when he made an alt to circumvent the ban). I even nudged him a few times without warning after his most recent ban was up since I was actually trying to avoid permanently banning him. Honestly, I don't see the point of giving a ban of shorter duration than before for literally the same behavior.

Having said that, I am not so passionate about this topic that I won't yield, so I am fine with adjusting the ban if others agree. I'd like to get at least one more mod/admin to chime in though. If I am just being wrong here, I want to know, so I can learn from it. For the record, I wanted to like QED. He had potential to be a decent contributor if he could refrain from insulting people (both RE and FE) to flex his superiority complex.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 02:12:39 PM »
I don't think his posts warrant a permanent ban yet but I do think his recent streak deserved a temporary ban. If QED doesn't learn the basics of social discourse then I can see it evolving into a permanent ban.

After learning about his actual ban history then I'm convinced he needs to stay permanently banned. If he hasn't learned the rules by now I don't think he ever will.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 02:18:19 PM by Rushy »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 07:20:02 PM »
After discussing with the other mods and Parsifal on IRC, it seems everyone is in agreement that a permaban isn't out of order. But, since I convinced everyone to agree with me, I am not entirely comfortable at the end of the day. Yes, I know, that makes no sense.

QED has potential to be an excellent member of the community if he is willing. If he is not willing, so be it, he can move on. But, in an unexpected turn of events, I am going to go ahead and lift the ban and give this just one last try. It isn't every day we get PhD physicists on these boards, so why not give it one more shot.

If you read this, QED, then I want you to know that I think you are terrible. But also I think you can stop doing that. If you want to, then you are welcome to hang around. If not, then I will just be re-affirming my initial position on permanently banning you. The folks here aren't your enemies. Try not to get upset that people have different ideas than you, even though you have studied for years and years.

P.S. - You should probably stop telling people how much smarter you are than them. Best of luck.