Offline stack

• View Profile
Purpose of the Flat Earth Media board
« on: October 16, 2018, 01:18:26 AM »
I wasn't sure where to post my question, so I'm starting here.

What exactly is the purpose of the "Flat Earth Media" board? There's this:

"The purpose of this board is to create a community-driven repository of media relating to the Flat Earth Society or Flat Earth Theory. Please post here if you've found any interesting material which pertains to these subjects."

Is 'anti-Flat Earth Theory' media allowed?
At what point should discussion create a new thread elsewhere as suggested?

Just trying to cut an issue 'off at the pass', as it were, and not get into trouble nor viewed as disrespectful.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
Re: Purpose of the Flat Earth Media board
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 08:08:56 AM »
I'm not sure about the purpose of that board. Or, rather, I can't see the point in a section of the forum where videos can be posted but debate/comment on them is then discouraged.
I'd say debate on the videos should be allowed in that section and the best of them should then be put into a library on the Wiki.
Otherwise you're just going to get duplicate threads if people want to start a discussion on the contents of the video.
Maybe that's not the worst thing but I don't think a section of the forum is the right place for a library of FE videos.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 09:09:23 AM »
It's the easiest way to establish a collaborative video feed without forcing everyone to sign up to a new service. It's a low tech solution, but it works fine for the time being.

Basically, if you want to make a quick comment on the video, point out that there's a follow-up or refer people to response videos, you can do that in the same thread. If you want to discuss the content of the video in any more meaningful matter, that belongs to the debate boards.

The Wiki wouldn't really work for this. We don't want to be arbiters of what is "best".

To be blunt - that section of the forum is probably not for you. It's unlikely to interest you. And that's fine.

As for anti-FE videos - I'm not sure if we've reached a formal agreement on that. My suggestion would be that these, again, are better placed in the debate boards. Posting them in the Media board does not serve the Society's goal of documenting and popularising FET, but rather its goal of offering a discussion space for free thinkers. Hopefully this makes sense.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Mysfit

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 01:05:27 PM »
I agree that there should be a repository for flat media.
I am unsure why the threads added are not locked, though.
The debate of that media, or the theory behind it, is to be held elsewhere. So I am unsure what can be said after a video is posted.
If nothing, then it would seem safer to lock it.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 01:59:14 PM »
That could be arranged. We generally avoid excessive locking. As I said, it may be useful to include follow-up videos. I'd rather trust our member base to follow the culture than act as an enforcer.

If there's a consensus on not allowing any replies, that can be easily done.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 07:53:51 PM »
It's the easiest way to establish a collaborative video feed without forcing everyone to sign up to a new service. It's a low tech solution, but it works fine for the time being.

Basically, if you want to make a quick comment on the video, point out that there's a follow-up or refer people to response videos, you can do that in the same thread. If you want to discuss the content of the video in any more meaningful matter, that belongs to the debate boards.

The Wiki wouldn't really work for this. We don't want to be arbiters of what is "best".

To be blunt - that section of the forum is probably not for you. It's unlikely to interest you. And that's fine.

As for anti-FE videos - I'm not sure if we've reached a formal agreement on that. My suggestion would be that these, again, are better placed in the debate boards. Posting them in the Media board does not serve the Society's goal of documenting and popularising FET, but rather its goal of offering a discussion space for free thinkers. Hopefully this makes sense.

All makes sense. I guess the simplest solution would be that it's a place for pro-FET media and if anyone wants to debate something contained therein, they pull it out and address it in one of the debate forums. Maybe even go so far as to state that explicitly in the "purpose" post. I think that may give it more of a 'repository' feel. You kind of already state that, but it's loose. And giving the royal 'we' an inch usually leads to us taking a mile.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 11:25:11 AM »
I thought I already made it clear in the introduction post, but perhaps it's not as explicit as it could be. If you have any specific suggestions for how to make it better, I'm sure we can look into it.

I guess we could consider renaming the board to Flat Earth Media Repository?

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 10:41:14 PM »
I think adding 'Repository' to the title would help. Separates it out a little more the more discussion like boards.

Here's what I'm thinking for description changes:

Existing:

The purpose of this board is to create a community-driven repository of media relating to the Flat Earth Society or Flat Earth Theory. Please post here if you've found any interesting material which pertains to these subjects. A short description of the material is required.

Proposed:

The purpose of this board is to create a community-driven repository of media in support of the Flat Earth Society or Flat Earth Theory. Please post here if you've found any interesting material which pertains to these subjects. A short description of the material is required.

Removed "relating to" and replaced with "in support of".

Existing:

Please note that this board is generally not intended for in-depth discussion of the materials linked. If you'd like to engage in more than a brief exchange, please create a thread in the appropriate board (most likely Flat Earth Theory, Flat Earth Investigations, or Flat Earth Community).

Proposed:

Please note that this board is not intended for in-depth discussion of the materials linked. If you'd like to engage in a discussion, please create a thread in the appropriate board (most likely Flat Earth Theory, Flat Earth Investigations, or Flat Earth Community).

Removed "in more than a brief exchange" and replaced with "in a discussion".