Mysfit

Appeal to administration for warning
« on: October 14, 2018, 10:18:35 PM »
Hello,
I would like to appeal a warning I got that I worry I may have gotten in error.
The post that triggered a warning for spam is as follows:
Okee, that's 2 of the wells sorted. And the third?
Electromagnetic acceleration - another thing that Neil failed to account for, or, more likely, is entirely unaware of.

Mysfit, could you please stay on topic? You can ask questions about FE subjects you don't understand in the appropriate forum.
It is not off-topic, we are discussing the video, which has 3 wells in the Eratosthenes (ty autocorrect) argument at the 4min mark.
I am not arguing theory, I am arguing that Neil was not 'schooled' by the FAQ or Washington Post, which is the topic.
The link you gave was not the FAQ or an excerpt of the Washington Post, therefore off-topic, but i ignored it's invalidity for sake of argument. I read it all too, because i'm nice.

The topic was discussing a video about flat theory, with Neil de grasse tyson (probly spelled that wrong) going over some simple, and ancient, ways that the earth was shown to be round. A Washington post article poked holes in this video with reliance on the FAQ.
I had queried a part of the video which was ignored by the article, and was provided a link to elsewhere on the wiki. The rest is history.
I am still unsure I was off-topic, but now know that I need to appeal that decision before continuing. I did not see this on the rules and am worried this’ll make more forum fuss :(.

I worry I have rubbed Pete the wrong way, which has led to this. I am also labelled as disingenuous, so cannot apologise in a way that’d work. Also not sure where it started, which would be crucial to that apology.

Long story short: I would like to appeal the warning as I feel I was on topic.
Hope whoever has to bother with this is having a nice day and sorry for the inconvenience.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Appeal to administration for warning
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 07:38:54 PM »
I don't personally think this is something that I'd consider off-topic, but I'd like to see what Pete has to say about it first, since I might not be getting the whole story. It seems like he might have not wanted the thread to turn directly into a debate about FET itself, but I can't be sure without some feedback from him first.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 09:02:35 AM »
My first post was not a warning - I politely asked that he sticks to the subject. It was the meta-bickering about what is and isn't off-topic that secured a warning.

That said, Rushy more or less much got it right. The discussion is about the clash between NdGT and WaPo. It's in Flat Earth Community - not Theory or Investigations. If Mysfit is curious about Eratosthenes's observations, he should raise a thread about it in the appropriate forum. If Mysfit wants to discuss what is and isn't off-topic - again, that belongs in S&C, not FEC.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 04:33:59 PM »
Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I've had some personal things going on recently.

I don't think appealing a warning makes a whole lot of sense -- they're intended as gentle nudges in the right direction, not a punishment. In this case, your response to Pete asking you to stay on topic clearly was not contributing to the thread. I'd suggest taking that on board and remembering to dispute moderation in S&C in future, rather than derailing threads.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Mysfit

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 05:57:47 PM »
Fair 'nuff.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 10:26:28 PM »
Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I've had some personal things going on recently.

I don't think appealing a warning makes a whole lot of sense -- they're intended as gentle nudges in the right direction, not a punishment. In this case, your response to Pete asking you to stay on topic clearly was not contributing to the thread. I'd suggest taking that on board and remembering to dispute moderation in S&C in future, rather than derailing threads.

I think the appeal to appealing a warning is that they are, in essence, cumulative, leading to potential punishment. After x number of warnings, you get a ban. But if you get a warning, and appeal, and get that warning removed, there are fewer violations in the demerit bucket. Now, perhaps, it's best not to get a warning in the first place, but if one feels it's unwarranted, it seems fruitful to try and appeal.

Mysfit

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 11:31:24 PM »
Yeah, but coming here when disagreeing with a mod slightly is the requested action that I may have to take frequently.
Not my ball pit.

I also consider a warning a punishment, as it is a chunk of one (1/3 of a temp-ban?), as you pointed out.

Still not entirely sure I was off-topic to begin with but I can't be bothered to fight that beyond OP.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 12:47:23 AM »
I think the appeal to appealing a warning is that they are, in essence, cumulative, leading to potential punishment. After x number of warnings, you get a ban. But if you get a warning, and appeal, and get that warning removed, there are fewer violations in the demerit bucket. Now, perhaps, it's best not to get a warning in the first place, but if one feels it's unwarranted, it seems fruitful to try and appeal.

You don't get an automatic ban after a certain number of warnings. Moderator discretion is generally exercised, so if you get three warnings but you've demonstrated after the first two that you respond well to warnings, you're unlikely to get an immediate ban.

The ban after three warnings generally only happens if you keep doing the same thing after you've been warned to stop.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 01:18:52 AM »
Got it. Thanks for the explanation. Totally makes sense.

Offline Bobby Shafto

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdv72TaxoaafQr8WD
    • View Profile
    • Bobby Shafto YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 03:01:27 AM »

You don't get an automatic ban after a certain number of warnings. Moderator discretion is generally exercised, so if you get three warnings but you've demonstrated after the first two that you respond well to warnings, you're unlikely to get an immediate ban.

The ban after three warnings generally only happens if you keep doing the same thing after you've been warned to stop.
"Generally" maybe. Specifically, my experience has been completely counter to that claim.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 04:15:36 AM »
"Generally" maybe. Specifically, my experience has been completely counter to that claim.

Can you stop? You are approaching Thork levels at this point. As of now, you are on 6 warnings, and a single 3-day ban. Do you know why that is? Because we view you as a contributing member who typically argues in good faith and contributes to the community. Most people would be on the cusp of a 30-day or a permaban after that many warnings. But you typically respond well and most of it is from a while ago. So, actually, your experience is exactly in line with what we hope and expect.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 11:04:04 PM »

Can you stop? You are approaching Thork levels at this point. As of now, you are on 6 warnings, and a single 3-day ban. Do you know why that is? Because we view you as a contributing member who typically argues in good faith and contributes to the community. Most people would be on the cusp of a 30-day or a permaban after that many warnings. But you typically respond well and most of it is from a while ago. So, actually, your experience is exactly in line with what we hope and expect.

Hopefully a practical question. If you have a "suggestions & concerns" comment like Bobby's statement, should that just be a new thread in AR as opposed to here? There's no   
"READ BEFORE POSTING" thread here describing what's in or out of "suggestions & concerns".

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2018, 08:46:23 AM »
As Parsifal says, they do use discretion.
But I do think there is purpose in appealing mod decisions, if only to make the mods think about the way they make decisions.
I have had some spurious warnings on here, I've not had a ban because I've mostly been a good boy, but I think challenging mod decisions helps them consider the way they moderate.
From my experience as a mod elsewhere there is no way of moderating which keeps everyone happy.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"