Online AATW

• View Profile
Just Saying...
« on: September 07, 2018, 07:36:43 AM »
This:

normally if we are right about something, it gets ignored.
So, all the time? ;)

https://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=10606.40

Is a good example of a post which I’m pretty sure had it been posted by a RE poster would have resulted in a warning.

Not having a go, but it does feel like there is some inconsistency in how things are modded. I’m not actually sure that’s entirely a bad thing but I personally think there should be consistency when it comes to jokey posts like that. My view is that consistent line should be to allow them, within reason.

“A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men...”
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
Re: Just Saying...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 09:49:36 AM »
If you got a dog, and 2 days later it bit you, you might get it destroyed. If you had that dog 8 years and it bit you, you'd probably give the dog the benefit of the doubt.

Don't make us destroy you.
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 10:10:54 AM »
If you got a dog, and 2 days later it bit you, you might get it destroyed. If you had that dog 8 years and it bit you, you'd probably give the dog the benefit of the doubt.

Don't make us destroy you.
Thork, that's not how the upper fora works. Keep your "I am very powerful >o<" stuff to CN.

As for AATW's comment, I'm not going to get involved unless specifically asked for my position. It would be better if someone uninvolved responded.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 12:56:25 PM »
I wouldn't move a post like this, but I'm also one of the most lenient mods here. I don't move anyone's upper forum posts unless they're trash/spam threads or posts that contain direct personal insults.

Online AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 01:39:41 PM »
If I ruled the world, which it’s becoming clear that inexplicably I don’t, I’d let stuff like this go on both sides. I know you guys want to keep the upper fora pure but a bit of fun here and there is no bad thing in my view.
Just my 2 cents, I appreciate I don’t get a vote and having some experience in this matter I also appreciate there is no way of moderating a forum in a way which keeps everyone happy.

I actually agree with Thork too, long term posters actually have earned a bit more latitude than noobs.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 03:04:03 PM »
I think a key difference is that there's only a few regular FES affiliated posters here, whereas there are dozens of RE posters, many of which will post maybe a hundred times and never be seen again. A thread full of new posters making jabs like this would be an eyesore, but even if every single FES poster did this in a thread, it wouldn't even take up a whole page.

It's not so much about keeping individual posters in line sometimes, as much as it is about keeping the entire forum in check. New posters can accumulate garbage posts very fast, but regular posters would take quite some time to impart the same effect.

Rama Set

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 03:20:36 PM »
As a long time REer here, I can say that the latitude extended to all long-time posters, not just FEers.  We tend to make an occasional off-topic post, and then duck and cover, and also don't make a stink if the post is moderated.  At least that is how I perceive it.

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 03:25:12 PM »
and also don't make a stink if the post is moderated.
Because ultimately, moaning in here isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference.
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 03:38:33 PM »
I wouldn't move or warn for the post. A bit of light-heartedness in the upper fora is fine as long as it is not at the expense of the topic or attacking someone else. Long time FE and RE users do get more lenience because they have built trust and they get the benefit of the doubt that they are posting in good faith.

Offline Dr Van Nostrand

• There may be something to this 'Matrix' stuff...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 04:51:09 PM »
I'd been reading this forum long before I joined and once in a great while I would see a 'moderation' that might have been quick or harsh but generally, I think they do a good job.

I appreciate that I'm allowed to post here despite being an RE. I specifically try to curtail the amount of posting I do because I don't want to see this forum overrun by RE people. RE people are everywhere, I don't come here for them.

Look, I'm a hardcore RE but if you can give me one split second of doubt, that is a great thing. I want to question my beliefs all the time. I want my beliefs tested. If I just wanted to take shots at FE people, I'd be trolling the matrix dwelling moonshrimpers on the 'other' forum.

Round Earther patiently looking for a better deal...

If the world is flat, it means that I have been deceived by a global, multi-generational conspiracy spending trillions of dollars over hundreds of years.
If the world is round, it means that you’re just an idiot who believes stupid crap on the internet.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 04:01:55 PM »
As a long time REer here, I can say that the latitude extended to all long-time posters, not just FEers.  We tend to make an occasional off-topic post, and then duck and cover, and also don't make a stink if the post is moderated.  At least that is how I perceive it.
Gee, it didn't seem like I got much latitude a few weeks ago.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 04:09:13 PM »

I'd say three warnings was quite a bit of latitude.

Rama Set

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 04:14:43 PM »

You also haven’t been very active for a while.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 04:15:17 PM »

I'd say three warnings was quite a bit of latitude.
I suppose that we have different definitions of "latitude".
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2018, 04:16:52 PM »
Please take your sass to AR where it belongs.

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2018, 04:26:47 PM »
Please take your sass to AR where it belongs.

What do you expect him/her to do? He/she cannot move the thread there. It seems excessive to start a new thread just for this. Are you suggesting a new thread?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2018, 04:29:41 PM »
What do you expect him/her to do? He/she cannot move the thread there. It seems excessive to start a new thread just for this. Are you suggesting a new thread?
Yes, that's pretty much what CN and AR are for. Low-quality, low-effort posts which don't belong anywhere else.