Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Padding and font size for quotes in the Wiki
« on: September 03, 2018, 08:42:57 PM »
The quotes in the Wiki don't look good on mobile. Take a look at one of the pages with quotes.

I have two requests:

1. Make the padding smaller. The padding for mobile seems way too large.

2. Make the font as large as the regular font. I have articles planned which will mostly be quoting other sources. The equal font will give equal meaning.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 08:59:23 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Padding and font size for quotes in the Wiki
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 11:11:01 AM »
Hold on, there's a much bigger issue here: It works very poorly because it's being misused. The Quote template is only meant for very short quotes, which should never come remotely close to what's happening in the Foucault Pendulum article. That's why the text is centred by default (and why forcibly aligning it to the left makes it look terrible).

As per the Quote template's description, This is useful in articles where you are short on images and want to add some sort of graphic, or you just want to set off an important or interesting quote away from the main text.. It's supporting content, not the meat of the article. For anything longer, these will always look clunky, because they're over-decorated.

The Lyndon B. Johnson quote in https://wiki.tfes.org/The_Conspiracy is about the longest I would expect for it.

However, I do agree that the margins were excessive, especially on mobile. I've reduced these considerably, but left the text size at 90%. As time goes on, I hope to evolve that template into something prettier, but, again, for very short quotes only.

My suggestion is that large quotes or entire paragraphs from books shouldn't be in a box - the decorative effect is to a detriment of long-term readability. I can look into designing a template for long-form source references the long term (or you can create one yourself - templates are just pages, more about them here), but the immediate solution is to stop using this template for anything longer than a handful of sentences.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 03:56:42 PM »
Thanks.

I was able to make a simple template myself which I called "cite," which just uses oversized quotation marks around the content.

Usage: {{cite|quote-goes-here}}

Example: https://wiki.tfes.org/Problems_of_the_Galaxies

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 05:38:31 PM »
That's a nice approach - makes it clear that it's a quotation without over-decorating it. Thanks for sorting it out.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume