geckothegeek

Why do you believe the Earth is Flat ?
« on: October 16, 2015, 08:15:27 PM »
On what do you base your belief that the Earth is Flat ?

Re: Why do you believe the Earth is Flat ?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 10:34:27 PM »
The spin of the earth creates centripetal forces that makes it buldge at the equator and compress at the poles. The faster the spin, the flatter the planet.

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 12:52:14 AM »
I looked out my window and it was flat.
God is real.

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 11:50:29 AM »

Wow, that proves everything!
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.

sceptimatic

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 01:25:56 PM »
It depends what is meant by flat. I mean, I certainly believe it's anything but a globe but I don't subscribe to a disc that is flat.
I believe it to be more like a manual orange juicer.
So essentially it can be looked on as flat if you use the oceans as your yardstick, kind of thing. Because we are only land protruding from those oceans.

Once you realise the Earth is not a globe, which should be clear to anyone who bothers to question that severe indoctrination, then you start to look at the potential realities.

My main belief that the Earth is flat is the very simple water level and also sunrise and sunsets when viewed from sea level then up a high rise building as people try to use to show a globe but in reality, actually rubber-  stamp the fact that it's  anything but a  globe.

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 01:34:30 PM »

This is a simplistic statement that covers the essence of flat-earth theory for many.  The earth is flat because that's how we see it.  People say it's a sphere, but that's counter-intuitive and notoriously difficult to demonstrate.  It makes more sense that it's flat and we aren't swayed, as of yet, with evidence to the contrary.

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 02:48:01 PM »
Evidence of Globe Earth is literally thrown in your face each and every day. Just because you chose to opt for the simple solution because of either a) Life's easier this way or b) You don't have the capacity (or will) to learn about the complexity involved in answering your questions, doesn't mean the simple solution, to you, is the correct one.

It's a western world humanitary catastrophe that we haven't been able as a society, to catch you and save you from this narrow-minded, egoistic deroute that is believing in Flat Earth. Flat Earthers are acting as you would see with religion.
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 04:02:15 PM »
Evidence of Globe Earth is literally thrown in your face each and every day.

"Evidence" of a deity is thrown in my face every day.  That doesn't mean it's true.

geckothegeek

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 05:45:12 PM »

This is a simplistic statement that covers the essence of flat-earth theory for many.  The earth is flat because that's how we see it.  People say it's a sphere, but that's counter-intuitive and notoriously difficult to demonstrate.  It makes more sense that it's flat and we aren't swayed, as of yet, with evidence to the contrary.

The problem with flat earthers seems to be that they see things from their own narrow point of view. Perhaps they have been disadvantaged in their lack of education and knowledge or experience  in their occupations  of the reality that the earth is a globe. This is a fact which has been known for centuries. Flat earthers seem to be lacking in knowledge in a lot of fields. It seems that if they don't know anything about something they simply deny that they don't exist. Either this is the reason that flat earthers believe that the earth is flat. Or it may be that the so-called flat earthers on this website no more believe that the earth is flat than any other normal person and just want to invent flat earth fantasies for the sake of debate. There is nothing difficult about demonstrating the fact that the earth is a globe.
The simple key is "facts" and "evidence." There are ample supplies of these  for a globe earth and none for a flat earth.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 05:49:23 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 05:48:45 PM »
There is nothing difficult about demonstrating the fact that the earth is a globe.

So you can easily demonstrate for us that the earth is a globe?

geckothegeek

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 06:00:04 PM »
There is nothing difficult about demonstrating the fact that the earth is a globe.

For  just a few examples. Best place to do this is to take a cruise at sea. Observe a sunset. See if the sun really gets smaller and fades away in the distance at sunset . See if there really is a horizon. See how far it is to the horizon. Check any flat earth fantasy against any round earth reality and you will see why the whole flat earth belief is a fantasy at best. Some of the best sources for first hand information that the earth is round are ordinary sailors, experienced sea captains and those involved in oceanic travel. This is just one group. Just about any other group of workers in the real world can affirm that the earth is not flat but is a globe. It is just "common knowledge."

If you really want to believe the earth is a flat and disc shaped and has an ice ring around the edge , that is your choice. But you are just fooling yourself.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 06:09:40 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 06:42:05 PM »

For  just a few examples. Best place to do this is to take a cruise at sea. Observe a sunset. See if the sun really gets smaller and fades away in the distance at sunset . See if there really is a horizon. See how far it is to the horizon. Check any flat earth fantasy against any round earth reality and you will see why the whole flat earth belief is a fantasy at best. Some of the best sources for first hand information that the earth is round are ordinary sailors, experienced sea captains and those involved in oceanic travel. This is just one group. Just about any other group of workers in the real world can affirm that the earth is not flat but is a globe. It is just "common knowledge."

If you really want to believe the earth is a flat and disc shaped and has an ice ring around the edge , that is your choice. But you are just fooling yourself.

Okay, let me break your ramblings of ways to "easily demonstrate" that the earth is round into bullets.  Let me know if you agree with this list or not:
  • Take a cruise at sea.
  • Observe a sunset to see if the sun gets smaller as it sets.
  • Note if a horizon exists or not.
  • Check flat-earth fantasies against round-earth realities.
  • Ask a sailor.
  • Ask an experienced sea captain.
  • Ask anyone involved in oceanic travel.
  • Ask any group of workers in the real world.

Do you stand by your claim that any of the items in this list is an easy way to demonstrate a round-earth?

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 07:45:09 PM »
Evidence of Globe Earth is literally thrown in your face each and every day.

"Evidence" of a deity is thrown in my face every day.  That doesn't mean it's true.

This I take issue with.

What 'evidence' of a deity are you referring to? Are you being presented with anything more than a faith-based system? 'Evidence' of a deity rarely is more than anecdotal, and very, VERY rarely (if ever) tangible. When questioning the lack of hard evidence of a deity, the answer from believers is usually never more than "You've got to have faith."

With a globe-earth model, you're being handed a lot more than anecdotal evidence. Scientific experiment and data that you yourself can replicate, photographic evidence, questions which a flat-earth theory cannot explain....this is all out there.

The irony of it is, that when presented the evidence for a round-earth, you're dismissing it. Belief in a flat-earth is almost as faith-driven as that of a religion, since tangible evidence which CANNOT be refuted or explained by round-earth models is difficult to come by.   

You're comparing apples to dildos here. Two completely different concepts, separated by tangible evidence and repeatable experimentation. Just because you happen to not agree with, or acknowledge the evidence you're presented with, doesn't render it anecdotal or irrelevant.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 07:49:07 PM by Disgraced_Shield »

geckothegeek

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 01:38:30 AM »

Okay, let me break your ramblings of ways to "easily demonstrate" that the earth is round into bullets.  Let me know if you agree with this list or not:
  • Take a cruise at sea.
  • Observe a sunset to see if the sun gets smaller as it sets.
  • Note if a horizon exists or not.
  • Check flat-earth fantasies against round-earth realities.
  • Ask a sailor.
  • Ask an experienced sea captain.
  • Ask anyone involved in oceanic travel.
  • Ask any group of workers in the real world.

Do you stand by your claim that any of the items in this list is an easy way to demonstrate a round-earth?

Most assuredly ! Everyone and all  of them. And there are lots of others that could be added to the list. Just ask about an estimated 99.9999999  +% of the world's population whether the earth is a flat disc or a round globe.

Here is another one. Just ask the people at any astronomical observatory or a group of amateur radio operators whether the distance from the earth to the  moon is 3000 miles as the flat earthers say or about 250,000 miles as the people at the astronomical observatories or the amateur radio operators say. Contact any astronomical observatory or the American Radio League for verification.

And one more .Ask any of those sailors or sea captains  the reason why the crow's nests or why some of the radar antennas on some radar systems are placed on the highest maps of ships instead of just at eye level on the bridge.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 01:55:35 AM by geckothegeek »

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2015, 04:00:22 PM »
If popular opinion is how science is done these days then it's fallen farther than I've thought.  Shall we dispense with science and simply vote on what's true from now on?

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2015, 04:30:00 PM »
If popular opinion is how science is done these days then it's fallen farther than I've thought.  Shall we dispense with science and simply vote on what's true from now on?

That's a vast oversimplification of what he said, and incredibly hypocritical as a representative of a community who regularly dismisses scientific evidence counter to their beliefs as sham, doctored, irrelevant, and part of a secret government agenda.

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2015, 04:42:49 PM »

That's a vast oversimplification of what he said, and incredibly hypocritical as a representative of a community who regularly dismisses scientific evidence counter to their beliefs as sham, doctored, irrelevant, and part of a secret government agenda.

If by "vast oversimplification," you mean exactly what he said, then I agree.  I feel silly citing things from just a few posts ago, but here it is.  Perhaps you'll read it this time:

Just ask about an estimated 99.9999999  +% of the world's population whether the earth is a flat disc or a round globe.

In the context, that was a proof of the round-earth that's easy to demonstrate.  I have no idea how popular opinion is a proof or how asking 99.9999999  +% of the world's population (an estimated 7,380,669,738 people at the time of his post) is considered easy.

Mind of a round-earther I suppose.  A boggling place.

geckothegeek

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2015, 04:54:23 PM »
The problem with the so-called "Round Earthers" is that it boggles the mind to think that there are persons who think the earth is a flat disc.

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2015, 04:56:34 PM »

If by "vast oversimplification," you mean exactly what he said, then I agree.  I feel silly citing things from just a few posts ago, but here it is.  Perhaps you'll read it this time:

Just ask about an estimated 99.9999999  +% of the world's population whether the earth is a flat disc or a round globe.

In the context, that was a proof of the round-earth that's easy to demonstrate.  I have no idea how popular opinion is a proof or how asking 99.9999999  +% of the world's population (an estimated 7,380,669,738 people at the time of his post) is considered easy.

Mind of a round-earther I suppose.  A boggling place.

There's more to his post than that single estimation. More which begs to be addressed, lest you look as though you've been defeated and are nit-picking to try to save face. You're ignoring the meat of the post, dismissing completely ignoring credible response to your initial countering of his post, and picking at an artful exaggeration, and THEN making one of your own with the last comment?

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2015, 05:14:18 PM »
I was going to get around to it.  However, geckothegeek cites popular opinion over half a dozen times as an easy way to demonstrate the earth is round.  Basically, his argument can be boiled down to, "ask <insert profession> and they will all say the world is round so it must be."  It's by far his most dominant argument.

The others are rubbish too, but can we all admit that popular opinion is a poor way to decide truth before I move on?