Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: Stars Slowing as they Approach the Horizon
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2018, 12:20:24 PM »
I see. Your avoidance tactics show that there is no evidence for the infinite perspective theory of the Ancient Greeks. Thank you for clearing that up.

Offline edby

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2018, 12:22:08 PM »
I see. Your avoidance tactics show that there is no evidence for the infinite perspective theory of the Ancient Greeks. Thank you for clearing that up.
What "infinite perspective theory of the Ancient Greeks"?? You keep saying that the ancient Greeks had an "infinite perspective theory" What theory?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2018, 12:23:16 PM »
It is certainly interesting that you guys say that the earth drops by an exponential function ...

Do you mean that "8 inches per mile squared" that every Flat Earther pulls out every so often, but which never appears in a single textbook, science journal or paper ...?
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2018, 12:24:49 PM »
What "infinite perspective theory of the Ancient Greeks"?? You keep saying that the ancient Greeks had an "infinite perspective theory" What theory?

You should pay attention in school. It was taught to you there.

It is certainly interesting that you guys say that the earth drops by an exponential function ...

Do you mean that "8 inches per mile squared" that every Flat Earther pulls out every so often, but which never appears in a single textbook, science journal or paper ...?

False. Read Earth Not a Globe.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2018, 12:27:01 PM »

Won't that depend on regional syllabuses? What is/was taught in your region may not be taught in another

Nearly?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2018, 12:28:04 PM »
False. Read Earth Not a Globe.

What, the whole of it? Just to find the one reference that you mean?

Nearly?

Offline edby

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2018, 12:28:15 PM »
Please give an exact citation for the work you are referring to. I have read Euclid's Elements. There is no 'theory of perspective' in that work. Or if you think so, please provide a citation. Claims without evidence will be dismissed etc.

Won't that depend on regional syllabuses? What is/was taught in your region may not be taught in another
What is 'it'?? The Elements contains no 'theory of perspective'.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2018, 12:29:04 PM »

Why? Your school doesn't teach geometry?  ???

Offline edby

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2018, 12:30:32 PM »

Schools teach geometry. What are you talking about???

And still waiting for that citation, Tom.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2018, 12:32:25 PM »

If you have taken geometry then you should know about its infinite nature. If you were paying close attention, you would know that geometry comes from the ancients.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2018, 12:34:13 PM »

It's a long time since I was at school, but "infinite perspective theory of the Ancient Greeks" was not in my syllabus.

Are you saying "Geometry" and "infinite perspective theory of the Ancient Greeks" are the same thing?

Nearly?

Offline edby

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2018, 12:34:41 PM »

If you have taken geometry then you should know about its infinite nature. If you were paying close attention, you would know that geometry comes from the ancients.
More avoidance. Geometry comes from Euclid, among others. Where is his theory of perspective?? You used the word 'perspective'.

And no, the ancients did not acknowledge the actual infinite, as you must surely know from Aristotle.

Still waiting for the citation.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2018, 12:35:55 PM »

It's a long time since I was at school, but "infinite perspective theory of the Ancient Greeks" was not in my syllabus.

Are you saying "Geometry" and "infinite perspective theory of the Ancient Greeks" are the same thing?

Yes, that's why the Wikipedia page on perspective is titled "Perspective (geometry)".

Offline edby

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2018, 12:38:03 PM »

Yes, that's why the Wikipedia page on perspective is titled "Perspective (geometry)".

Please cite the work of Euclid, or any other ancient Greek writer, that deals with Perspective in geometry. Fourth time asking (?).

Offline edby

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2018, 12:39:26 PM »
Of course Euclid's Theorem https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclid%27s_theorem states that there are infinitely many primes. But that means there is no largest prime number.

Are you saying there is a largest prime number? Which one?

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2018, 01:23:04 PM »

You DO understand the geometry of perspective and 'geometry' are two different things for this right? In case you didn't notice, the references cited for the wiki page you linked do not include anything older than 1930. I see nothing that would imply it is based upon an 'ancient Greek theory of perspective' on that page. In fact, if we look for 'Perspective' we'll find you didn't even link to the actual page on perspective, but rather a sub-page of it! So either you can't manage to find a simple page on the web, or perhaps you were purposefully attempting to present an argument that looks on it's surface like you were in the right, knowing you were deceiving the reader. Following in Rowbotham's shoes, you are. As a note, the proper wikipedia page on perspective/perspectivity references a work in 1453 as the first author to describe it. Which would support Edby's statement that the Greeks' HAD no perspective theory for you to keep demanding we provide evidence for. No wonder you've never gotten evidence for something that doesn't exist!

Offline edby

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2018, 01:35:06 PM »
I quite liked this, and very clever. It is ambiguous between 'there is no evidence that the Greeks had an infinite perspective theory', which was what [you knew?] I meant, and 'the Greeks did have an infinite perspective theory, but there is NO evidence it is true'.

To clear that up, I meant the former. And as Squirrel says above, there was no perspective theory as we understand it until about the 15th century.

Adding 'Thank you for clearing that up' also a nice touch.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 01:37:22 PM by edby »

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2018, 09:30:24 AM »
The stars movement:
The earth rotates at a constant speed.
The stars will therefore move in the sky at a constant speed due to perspective.
Near the horizon, the stars will seem to slow down / compress due to refraction being way higher when looking through atmosphere near the surface of earth.

Perspective:
Perspective is extremely well understood and extremely simple, and I do not get why you constantly bring up ancient greeks...
We know that parallel lines will never touch (simple geometry), and we know that perspective will only let them seem to converge at a point at infinity (but they never will)
We also know that with our eyes and cameras limited resolution, parallel lines will seem to converge much earlier depending on their closeness and the closeness of the observer.