Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
Re: No Religion= Peace
« Reply #200 on: August 09, 2017, 09:58:05 PM »

But you have to admire his spirit.

“Now, now my good man, this is no time to be making enemies."
(Voltaire on his deathbed in response to a priest asking him that he renounce Satan.)
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline Boodidlie

• God is sovereign and I'm just along for the ride
    • View Profile
    • dadmansabode
« Reply #201 on: August 10, 2017, 03:44:51 AM »
I'm sure Voliaire and the priest deserve eachother ..... The Scandal of the Catholic Priesthood
..................................................... ><> God's ability is according to his will <><

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 10, 2017, 10:00:50 AM »
It might be argued that, as the majority religion in the US, Christianity can afford to take it, whereas a minority faith who regularly receive persecution and abuse for their belief could probably be spared Dawkins' increasingly unhinged babblings.

It's because Christians won't blow you up for criticizing their religion. Muslims will.

I can't imagine that a tiny radio station in, where was it, Minnesota? Really fears the bomb-toting wrath of radical Islam, but even if they had, it's a risk/benefit analysis they did, decided to err on the side of caution, and decided not to host Dawkins, which is within their rights.

Is their hypothetical fear of many murderous Minnesotan Muslims rational? Probably not, since Dawkins has spoken on hundreds of radio stations without incident, but whoever said that fear is always rational?

devils advocate

« Reply #203 on: September 18, 2017, 02:43:15 PM »

rl=http://www.cosmicfingerprints.com/read-prove-god-exists/]Proof of the existence of God[/url]

Proof of nothing! The author doesn't even know the difference between Stalactites and Stalagmites

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 02:49:45 PM by devils advocate »

devils advocate

« Reply #204 on: September 19, 2017, 01:01:22 PM »

If I hand you a fake twenty dollar bill .... does that now mean that all twenty dollar bills are fake ?

No but all twenty one dollar bills are fake and that's what religions are.

Offline James

• I am not a flat erther, I am exploring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 19, 2017, 10:46:12 PM »
Seems to me that we are already doing it all without religion. If we are to say that the majority of conflict, both violent and political are religiously motivated, I think we are fooling ourselves. People may come in the name of some god, but greed and hunger make povery and war, religion is nothing more than an excuse. To fly a plane into a building may be one way, to get down and help someone regardless is another. No matter what we think about this or that religious group, the choice and the decision to work for the common good is still ours. And, may I suggest, there are more people in this world that prefer working towards the common good than to viloence. Religeous violence is unfortunately real, but so is our choice to do what is humane. I have a choice and a decision to make each day, I make it and act accordingly knowing full well that I may meet opposition, even agressive opposition, but I still have a choice. If I have no faith in a divine being, which seems to be more an more popular these days, then I am totally responsible for my actions as complete master of my own destiny. I therefore choose to either go peacibly or violently and use any reason or excuse to justify either position.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 10:55:38 PM by James »

Offline Boodidlie

• View Profile
    • dadmansabode
« Reply #206 on: September 19, 2017, 11:23:16 PM »

If I hand you a fake twenty dollar bill .... does that now mean that all twenty dollar bills are fake ?

that's why I don't look at "religion" .... I look at Jesus Christ and learn of him

It was "religion" that hung Jesus on a Cross

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 11:33:51 PM by Boodidlie »
..................................................... ><> God's ability is according to his will <><

devils advocate

« Reply #207 on: September 20, 2017, 08:04:53 AM »

that's why I don't look at "religion" .... I look at Jesus Christ and learn of him

Now that's an interesting response Boodidlie, do we agree then that "religion" is not necessary to have a relationship with "god"?

I see all religion as man worshipping it's own ideals (hence why C of E changed position on divorce, homosexuality etc for example). Religion is an obvious tool of oppression used by the rich to control the poor. Also some good charity are done in the name of religion to be objective however..........

The Bible IS religion, it was written hundreds of years after the events it describes and is full of contradiction.  It describes a god of genocide, infanticide, jealousy, wrath etc. If you want to have a relationship with Jesus surely that would be possible by letting him into your heart and mind and can be done without paying any attention the bible?

The bible and other religious texts are the real issue here. Passages can be cherry picked to justify any position anyone wants to take; You want women as 2nd class humans? Want to murder homosexuals? Want to wipe out entire nations? Its all there in the religious texts to back you up as being RIGHT to do so

In your personal relationship with Jesus though is he happy for any of the above to occur?

Really interested to hear your views

Offline Dither

• The night above the dingle starry,
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 20, 2017, 10:43:26 AM »
The bible and other religious texts are the real issue here.
Passages can be cherry picked to justify any position.

Really interested to hear your views

Hi again D.A.  :)

The Bible is pretty clear on what God's requirements for salvation are.

Don't forget that Jesus is the word of God made flesh, and when Jesus was here on earth He often referred to the fact that He was fulfilling all things that were written of Him, (where were they written?) also, when Christ was tempted by the devil He simply repeated Bible verses (It is written) Now Jesus is our example and has promised that Heaven and earth will pass away but His word will not pass away, so the bible is pretty darn important to Christians as we are to follow Christ and not our own subjective sense of what God is or should be.

A lie will make it around the world before the truth has time to put on its shoes.

devils advocate

« Reply #209 on: September 20, 2017, 11:02:40 AM »
the bible is pretty darn important to Christians as we are to follow Christ and not our own subjective sense of what God is or should be.

Hi Dither :)

I am struggling here; If someone has a relationship with Jesus then their views are not subjective are they? I would think that by letting Jesus into ones heart Jesus would guide one and that's the point of it all? By still needing the Bible to refer to I think it sounds like just knowing Jesus isn't enough?

Do you mind if I ask you if you believe in the literal truth of the bible i.e. if it is written that "X" happened then it must have or do you feel the Bible is open to interpretation's such as no we don't think that Noah's arc is a factual true description of the events of the flood but more a symbolic idea to make a point?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 20, 2017, 11:13:36 AM »
To know Jesus you must read what he said and did.
What he said and did is recorded in the bible.
The bible was written by a bunch of people, edited, and composed into a book by another group of people hundreds of years after said events occurred.  Christians created the bible in the image they wanted, not the image of Jesus.  To know Jesus, truly, you must have lived with him over 2,000 years ago.  There is literally no other way.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

devils advocate

« Reply #211 on: September 20, 2017, 01:34:44 PM »
To know Jesus you must read what he said and did.
What he said and did is recorded in the bible.
The bible was written by a bunch of people, edited, and composed into a book by another group of people hundreds of years after said events occurred.  Christians created the bible in the image they wanted, not the image of Jesus.  To know Jesus, truly, you must have lived with him over 2,000 years ago.  There is literally no other way.

Pretty sure Christians believe Jesus is still with us now, the holy trinity of God the father, Jesus the son and the Holy Spirit teaches that. The whole message of Christianity is that Jesus is the light and the way: "I AM the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes unto the Father, but by me." (John 14). I think your answer mocks me Lord Dave ???

Offline Boodidlie

• View Profile
    • dadmansabode
« Reply #212 on: September 20, 2017, 01:34:57 PM »
To know Jesus, truly, you must have lived with him over 2,000 years ago.  There is literally no other way.

Um, yes there is ......

(Jesus) but now I come to you (Father) .. and these things I speak in the world so that they may have my joy made full in themselves .. I have given them your word .. and the world has hated them .. because they are not of the world .. even as I am not of the world .. I do not ask you to take them out of the world .. but to keep them from the evil one .. they are not of the world .. even as I am not of the world .. sanctify them in the truth .. your word is truth .. as you sent me into the world .. I also have sent them into the world .. for their sakes I sanctify myself .. that they themselves also may be sanctified in truth .. I do not ask on behalf of these (Apostles) alone ..
but for those (us today) also who believe in me through their (Apostles) word < [ the writings of the Apostles ] .. that they may all be one .. even as you .. father .. are in me and I in you .. that they also may be in us .. so that the world may believe that you sent me ......... John 17:13-21

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 01:57:41 PM by Boodidlie »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 20, 2017, 02:26:54 PM »
You both literally just used bible quotes to prove bible quotes are valid....

Do you not see how foolish that is? 

Ok, here's something:
How do you know what was written is true?  Do you have the original writings from John or Jesus or whoever?  Or are you, again, reading from a book that has been edited (with things omitted)?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Boodidlie

• View Profile
    • dadmansabode
« Reply #214 on: September 20, 2017, 02:55:57 PM »
a book that has been edited / things omitted < please explain

PS: .... things omitted ?? lol ....... and there are also many other things which Jesus did ..
which if they were written in detail .. I suppose that even the world itself would not contain the books that would be written .... John 21:25
you should be more concerned about the things NOT "omitted"
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 03:04:27 PM by Boodidlie »

Offline Dither

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 20, 2017, 04:50:44 PM »
You both literally just used bible quotes to prove bible quotes are valid....
Do you not see how foolish that is? 

You're right Dave, and God even admits it.

For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe. 1 Cor 1:21

A lie will make it around the world before the truth has time to put on its shoes.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 20, 2017, 05:58:40 PM »
The Bible is true because the Bible says the Bible is true.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Boodidlie

• View Profile
    • dadmansabode
« Reply #217 on: September 20, 2017, 06:56:09 PM »
.................. come to me

Jesus' personal invitation .. part 1 of 2 .. Recorded Oct 04 1981

Matthew 11:25 .. at that time .. Jesus said .. I praise you .. father .. Lord of heaven and earth ..
............. that you have hidden these things from the "wise and intelligent" and have revealed them to infants
11:26 .. yes .. father .. for this way was well-pleasing in your sight

Jesus' personal invitation .. part 2 of 2 .. Recorded Oct 04 1981

11:27 .. all things have been handed over to me by my father ..  and no one knows the son except the father ..
............. nor does anyone know the father except the son .. and anyone to whom the son wills to reveal him
11:28 .. come to me .. all who are weary and heavy-laden .. and I will give you rest
11:29 .. take my yoke upon you and learn from me .. for I am gentle and humble in heart .. and you will find rest for your souls
11:30 .. for my yoke is easy .. and my burden is light
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 07:11:05 PM by Boodidlie »

Offline Dither

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 21, 2017, 03:47:07 AM »
The Bible is true because the Bible says the Bible is true.

True.

Christians believe the bible, and that's also why I'm a flat earther, because the bible is a flat earth book.
The bible is undoubtedly geocentric and FET is the best cosmology for geocentricism.

Offline Dither

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 21, 2017, 03:53:16 AM »
Do you mind if I ask you if you believe in the literal truth of the bible

Yes I do,

And that's why I believe the earth is flat, but I just said that didn't I.

I have a better example, I was thinking of the Dylan Thomas forward to selected poems.
This is my answer to taking the bible at face value.

QUOTE:
I read somewhere of a shepherd who, when asked why he made, from within fairy rings, ritual observances to the moon to protect his flocks, replied: “I’d be a damn’ fool if I didn’t!”

Anyway, I was looking for this quote (I've always loved this quote)
and I came across this great article so if anyone's interested here it is.

https://perspectivesjournal.org/blog/2008/11/15/dylan-thomas-getting-one-big-thing-right/

Sorry for gabbing on...

« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 05:40:05 AM by Dither »