Moon wax and wane direction
« on: November 11, 2020, 11:58:29 PM »

Hello, I'm new here. I have a million questions, but I'll start with just one:

When I'm in Canada at the start of a new moon, it waxes from right to left. When I'm in Australia it waxes from left to right. This is consistent with a round earth as you're 'up side down' when in Australia.

How does FE explain this?
Devout and strictly adherent Atheist.

Offline RhesusVX

• 1/137.03599913
    • View Profile
Re: Moon wax and wane direction
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 09:41:44 AM »
Hi mate, and welcome!  Full transparency, I'm in the round Earth camp, and I would advise you to read the Wiki before asking any more pointed questions like this.  Having read it myself now, it answers a lot of how flat Earth theory (FET) addresses some of the observations we see.  In this case, anything to do with the Moon and inversion is pretty much accounted for by the following:

https://wiki.tfes.org/Electromagnetic_Acceleration

In a nutshell, this "bendy light" due to an as-yet unexplained force accounts for a number of phenomenon, including why the Sun behaves like a spotlight on Earth, and also why the Moon appears inverted in different hemispheres.
Quote from:  Earth, Solar System, Oort Cloud, LIC, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea Supercluster, Universe
"Sometimes you need to take a step back to see the bigger picture, and sometimes you need to think outside the box dome"

Offline WTF_Seriously

• Nobody Important
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 09:06:46 PM »
In a nutshell, this "bendy light" due to an as-yet unexplained force accounts for a number of phenomenon, including why the Sun behaves like a spotlight on Earth, and also why the Moon appears inverted in different hemispheres.

I'm guessing it's the "bendy light" that explains this:

"You cannot see Kawaikini from the peak of Mauna Kea. Mauna Kea, the highest peak in Hawaii (the summit of the Big Island), offers incredible views. With nothing but the ocean around it, and a few other nearby islands, you should be able to see extremely far away. The island of Kauai has the seventh highest point in the Hawaiian islands: the peak known as Kawaikini. If you were to draw a straight line from Mauna Kea (elevation: 13,796 ft.) to Kawaikini (elevation: 5226 ft.) it would span a distance of 303 miles." which I obtained here:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2017/11/24/five-impossible-facts-that-would-have-to-be-true-if-the-earth-were-flat/?sh=12ff43287c4f

If I'm understanding, according to the Bishop experiment light doesn't bend at all in 23 miles yet it bends in excess of 8,000' in 300.
I hope you understand we're maintaining a valuable resource here....

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 09:09:37 PM »
Hi mate, and welcome!  Full transparency, I'm in the round Earth camp, and I would advise you to read the Wiki before asking any more pointed questions like this.  Having read it myself now, it answers a lot of how flat Earth theory (FET) addresses some of the observations we see.  In this case, anything to do with the Moon and inversion is pretty much accounted for by the following:

https://wiki.tfes.org/Electromagnetic_Acceleration

Ok, thanks for that. I see they have a formula, so it must be right. Btw, do they ever say why this 'hoax' is being perpetrated, and why it started over 400 years ago with every cartographer in the world?
Devout and strictly adherent Atheist.

Offline RhesusVX

• 1/137.03599913
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 09:45:08 AM »
I'm guessing it's the "bendy light" that explains this:

"You cannot see Kawaikini from the peak of Mauna Kea. Mauna Kea, the highest peak in Hawaii (the summit of the Big Island), offers incredible views. With nothing but the ocean around it, and a few other nearby islands, you should be able to see extremely far away. The island of Kauai has the seventh highest point in the Hawaiian islands: the peak known as Kawaikini. If you were to draw a straight line from Mauna Kea (elevation: 13,796 ft.) to Kawaikini (elevation: 5226 ft.) it would span a distance of 303 miles." which I obtained here:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2017/11/24/five-impossible-facts-that-would-have-to-be-true-if-the-earth-were-flat/?sh=12ff43287c4f

If I'm understanding, according to the Bishop experiment light doesn't bend at all in 23 miles yet it bends in excess of 8,000' in 300.

Well, in reality we know that light travels in a constant direction unless acted upon, which here on Earth means atmospheric refraction.  There is a standard refraction coefficient that you can use to account for it, but that does vary.  The closer you are to the surface, the lower the temperature and the higher the pressure gradient, the more the light bends in accordance with known formulas as can be found in this experiment here:

http://walter.bislins.ch/bloge/index.asp?page=The+Rainy+Lake+Experiment

Light on Earth will always bend in the direction of lower to higher pressure (i.e. usually towards the Earth, not away from it) which means it can follow the curvature of the Earth for hundreds of miles making it seem like you can see things much further away.

How light curves in accordance with EA, nobody really knows, but suffice to say that it always curves away from the surface of the Earth, and sharply, which is not what we see or measure.  But yes, EA would explain why you can't see things in the far distance on a flat Earth, because the light would have curved away over your head and back into space before it reached you.

Ok, thanks for that. I see they have a formula, so it must be right. Btw, do they ever say why this 'hoax' is being perpetrated, and why it started over 400 years ago with every cartographer in the world?

The formula is an attempt at trying to model how light would behave according to the theory of EA, but the issue is nobody knows what the force is that causes the light to bend and so the theory is incomplete and untested.  Somebody here took the formula and tried to create different curves, using it to replicate the drawings.  The curves looked nothing like the drawings, even with a range of Bishop Constants, but that could have been an incorrect implementation.  I'm going to get a software developer of mine to do a mathematical model Flat Earth with the Sun and everything to scale and see if he can get the Sun to behave like a spotlight while also respecting all other phenomenon and natural observations.

All I know is that 2,500 years ago, people already suspected that the Earth was round, and science progressed from there.  Biblical cosmology still proposed the flat Earth and firmament, and a large number of people still believe this for religious reasons, and that's absolutely fair enough.  Some people simply observe that the Earth looks flat and just independently believe it to be so, and some of those think NASA and space exploration is all just part of a global conspiracy.  Have a read of the Wiki and lurk in the forums a bit - you'll learn a lot about the what's and the why's.
Quote from:  Earth, Solar System, Oort Cloud, LIC, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea Supercluster, Universe
"Sometimes you need to take a step back to see the bigger picture, and sometimes you need to think outside the box dome"

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 02:56:09 PM »
I also recommend reading through the entire wiki (at least breifly)!  It provides a great sampling of the concepts and ideas about.

My answer to your question is here https://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=16915.msg221466