• View Profile
Re: 2016 US Presidential Race
« Reply #1800 on: November 18, 2016, 05:03:46 AM »

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: November 18, 2016, 07:28:45 AM »

It's clear that the election was rigged. 
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #1802 on: November 18, 2016, 04:41:00 PM »
I let my autism get away from me. Here are the results of the election using different voting methods.

Candidate
Popular Vote
EC, current
EC D'Hondt
EC-436
EC-436 D'Hondt
Clinton
47.7%
Trump
47.4%
268*
Johnson
3.3%
McMullin
0.3%

« Reply #1803 on: November 18, 2016, 05:33:56 PM »

I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: November 19, 2016, 05:15:29 PM »
Mittt Romney considered for Secretary of State.

If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #1806 on: November 19, 2016, 06:08:52 PM »

Better than Giuliani. Best choice I've heard so far.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: November 19, 2016, 06:25:04 PM »

Better than Giuliani. Best choice I've heard so far.

Yep.

George

« Reply #1808 on: November 19, 2016, 06:36:50 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/19/us/mike-pence-hamilton.html

BAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

It never ceases to amaze me how the exact same people who rant about liberals being easily-offended special snowflakes have rallied around a man who's probably the most oversensitive crybaby in the history of American politics.  We should call Trump Mr. Pussy instead of Mr. President.  Also, so much for not settling the case against Trump University out of principle:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-defends-25-million-settlement-trump-university-lawsuits/story?id=43654491

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: November 19, 2016, 06:46:35 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/19/us/mike-pence-hamilton.html

BAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

It never ceases to amaze me how the exact same people who rant about liberals being easily-offended special snowflakes have rallied around a man who's probably the most oversensitive crybaby in the history of American politics.  We should call Trump Mr. Pussy instead of Mr. President.  Also, so much for not settling the case against Trump University out of principle:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-defends-25-million-settlement-trump-university-lawsuits/story?id=43654491

Cause they like it.  They love seeing a man get angry and comain.  Why do you think they whine about whiny liberals? 

America isn't very diverse, just delusional.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: November 19, 2016, 08:58:46 PM »
Man, I hate when people harass me by going "please be nice and help us make this place better :)". Seriously gets my goat.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: November 19, 2016, 09:39:48 PM »
It never ceases to amaze me how the exact same people who rant about liberals being easily-offended special snowflakes have rallied around a man who's probably the most oversensitive crybaby in the history of American politics.
See, this is a problem with not being a centrist. It never ceases to amaze you that the safe-space mentality is stupid when your opponents engage in it. Meanwhile, the fact that safe-space proponents are suddenly jeering now that their ideology doesn't immediately work in their favour is a-OK.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: November 19, 2016, 11:19:04 PM »
It never ceases to amaze me how the exact same people who rant about liberals being easily-offended special snowflakes have rallied around a man who's probably the most oversensitive crybaby in the history of American politics.
See, this is a problem with not being a centrist. It never ceases to amaze you that the safe-space mentality is stupid when your opponents engage in it. Meanwhile, the fact that safe-space proponents are suddenly jeering now that their ideology doesn't immediately work in their favour is a-OK.
Uhh...

George is talking about Trump's response as being harassment to Pence. 
Also, the definition of safe-space mentality is not what Trump used as is used by the left.  Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the left side "safe space" the "you can be yourself without judgement"?
But the way Trump used it "Safe Space" means "No talking to certain people"  Or "No Politics Zone". 

Not only that but he called it harassment.  Do you think Mr. Pence was harassed?

« Reply #1813 on: November 20, 2016, 12:03:09 AM »
i didn't know "safe space" ever included safety from being graciously thanked for attending a play. 

i always thought it was supposed to be more like when the_donald bans dissent because they want to have a place to get stoked on trump without having to constantly defend that premise to people who aren't stoked on trump.  which is perfectly reasonable, i think.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Rama Set

« Reply #1814 on: November 20, 2016, 01:36:06 AM »
Uhh...

George is talking about Trump's response as being harassment to Pence. 
Also, the definition of safe-space mentality is not what Trump used as is used by the left.  Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the left side "safe space" the "you can be yourself without judgement"?
But the way Trump used it "Safe Space" means "No talking to certain people"  Or "No Politics Zone". 

Not only that but he called it harassment.  Do you think Mr. Pence was harassed?

A safe space is a place where you can be safe from a triggering influence, whether it is a micro-aggression, ideology or something. So yeah, the theatre is one of the last places that should ever be thought of as a safe space.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: November 20, 2016, 02:54:07 AM »
i didn't know "safe space" ever included safety from being graciously thanked for attending a play. 

i always thought it was supposed to be more like when the_donald bans dissent because they want to have a place to get stoked on trump without having to constantly defend that premise to people who aren't stoked on trump.  which is perfectly reasonable, i think.

I think you mean when /r/politics pretended to be a nonpartisan space, but asshammered any post that didn't conform.

At least the other shitty sub didn't pretend to be objective.

« Reply #1816 on: November 20, 2016, 03:35:28 AM »
I think you mean when /r/politics pretended to be a nonpartisan space, but asshammered any post that didn't conform.

At least the other shitty sub didn't pretend to be objective.

i wasn't criticizing the_donald.  i think that literally is the purpose of a safe space.  like, i think it's fine for trump supporters to have a place to get stoked about trump without having to defend the premise to anyone else.  i only don't think it applies to being politely thanked and asked to pay careful attention to the themes of the performance.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: November 20, 2016, 11:09:04 AM »
I'm sure that's going to be contentious, but hey ho:

They like to advertise it as places where you can be yourself without judgement, and I know that these exist too, but "safe spaces" are also very commonly established as something like "here's a room you can go to during a speech or debate so you don't have to experience the content of said speech, even by proxy".

Decent example:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/22/opinion/sunday/judith-shulevitz-hiding-from-scary-ideas.html

Yup, and I claim that that's what the left does too. There are plenty of examples of college students setting up safe spaces filled with plush puppies so that their trigger-happy friends can run away from the real world while the rest of the world is saying something mean.

Absolutely not. I don't agree with the content of the actor's little spiel, and I don't think it was particularly professional of him to do it, but being unprofessional is hardly the worst thing in the world.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 11:12:17 AM by SexWarrior »

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: November 20, 2016, 11:59:05 AM »
I'm sure that's going to be contentious, but hey ho:

They like to advertise it as places where you can be yourself without judgement, and I know that these exist too, but "safe spaces" are also very commonly established as something like "here's a room you can go to during a speech or debate so you don't have to experience the content of said speech, even by proxy".

Decent example:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/22/opinion/sunday/judith-shulevitz-hiding-from-scary-ideas.html
Ok.  I'll not argue as my understanding of "safe space" is rather limited but based on what you said and the link you provided, it sounds less like a "safe space" and more like a calming room.  In Special Education for small children (elementary school kids) there's a room which is basically devoid of anything except padded walls, maybe some music.  The idea being that when a kid with behavior issues gets set off and gets out of control, you put them in there so they can work out their energy, frustration, etc... until they calm down.  (I'm not a professional but I've spoken to them on the subject.  I may be a little inaccurate but the general idea is correct).
This apparently exists in Occupational Therapy as well.  The idea that, when you're stressed, sometimes you just need to go somewhere to de-stress until you can deal with the world again.  Escapism, essentially.  But unlike the usual stress you and I have where it's a slow buildup, some people have triggers that make them snap instantly.  And when someone gets to that point, telling them to "calm down" just isn't going to work.  It's like if someone was sexually aroused and you said "Stop being aroused".  It just isn't going to happen.  You need to give them time to calm down or a place they can make themselves calm.

But...
Yup, and I claim that that's what the left does too. There are plenty of examples of college students setting up safe spaces filled with plush puppies so that their trigger-happy friends can run away from the real world while the rest of the world is saying something mean.
Everything you said and linked still contradicts Trump's use of Safe Space.  Pence's "safe space" would be his home or Donald's penthouse at Trump Tower.  A theater, which just put on a play that was about politics, can't be a safe space from politics.  It would be like if a college said "Lecture Halls are Safe Spaces".   You can't calm down in a lecture hall, especially if you're a student taking a course.  If anything, you'll get MORE stressed from the information being given to you and the pile of work.  And a theater, plays specifically, are a form of art, which is expression of emotion or point of view.  Both of which are the exact opposite of what a 'safe space' is.  So to say that a Theater should be a Safe Space is just ignorant about what safe space means.

Absolutely not. I don't agree with the content of the actor's little spiel, and I don't think it was particularly professional of him to do it, but being unprofessional is hardly the worst thing in the world.
Unprofessional?  I'm not so sure.  Had they done it prior or between acts, I'd have said yes.  But they did it after, when their job was finished.  Nor did they do anything to forcefully keep Pence from walking away. 

But considering that Pence isn't saying a word on the subject (as far as I can tell) and Trump is the one who is making an issue of it, it makes me think this is a knee jerk reaction by him and only him.  He says that it was harassment and we both agree, it wasn't.  And while I agree the theater should be free from harassment, if that is what Trump considers harassment... what's going to happen when he's on a golf course on his "time off" and his staff calls him with a problem?  I mean, what areas should be "politics free" and can one really have such a place in such high offices?  It's not like they aren't on call 24/7.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: November 20, 2016, 12:16:18 PM »
Everything you said and linked still contradicts Trump's use of Safe Space.  Pence's "safe space" would be his home or Donald's penthouse at Trump Tower.
Okay, so it seems like you think I've made a leap of judgement here. Fair enough, I didn't present a good enough example. I was trying to illustrate the ridiculous mentality, not draw a direct parallel. Let's try something else. How about the Yale students who believe Yale is not about creating an intellectual space, but rather creating a home, a space of comfort?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3308422/Students-rage-professor-sent-email-telling-students-just-look-away-offended-Halloween-costumes.html

We're completely in agreement that this mentality is stupid. You don't need to convince me of that, or explain to my why it's self-contradictory. Unfortunately, it still exist, and it's gaining in popularity. The left just enjoys ignoring it when it happens on their side (i.e. most of the time).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 01:03:51 PM by SexWarrior »