Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: Joe Biden is winning by a landslide
« Reply #360 on: November 11, 2020, 03:20:06 PM »
Chris Wallace during the first debate: “Will you pledge not to declare victory until the election is independently certified?” Joe Biden: “Yes.”

Whoops.

Video:

« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 03:29:04 PM by Tom Bishop »

Rama Set

« Reply #361 on: November 11, 2020, 03:24:33 PM »
Chris Wallace during the first debate: “Will you pledge not to declare victory until the election is independently certified?” Joe Biden: “Yes.”

Whoops.

I am going to pull from your playbook: it was certified by the media who are independent of Biden.

Now please throw all the rebuttals that we shower you with when you make similarly terrible rationalizations.

On the other hand...  Who gives a fuck if Biden either changed his mind about that or forgot he said that?  I mean it's not like he is bragging about walking unnannounced in to the Miss Teen America dressing room or grabbing women by the pussy, is it?  Surely you can admit that Trump has made much worse ethical violations?  Surely.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 11, 2020, 03:27:58 PM »
Is Tom the first known victim of BDS?
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Rama Set

« Reply #363 on: November 11, 2020, 03:34:11 PM »

Nah, go have a look on Reddit and he has many compatriots.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 11, 2020, 04:00:25 PM »
Unfortunately, things could get pretty messy in the US and Trump is just adding fuel to the fire.
If...well, let's face it, when Trump's team's legal challenges are laughed out of court you'd like to think that people like Tom would think
"Oh, OK. Well maybe Trump was full of shit then and there was no widespread fraud that robbed Trump of a second term".

But you know what's going to happen. Trump will simply double down and say that the courts are "in on it" or evidence has been suppressed or do anything other to admit that he just lost bigly. And because of that his supporters will believe the same. Trump will continue to believe he was robbed and that means his supporters will believe that they were robbed.

And 70 million people - or a percentage of them - not just feeling pissed off about the result but actively feeling like they've been cheated out of the president they wanted is a recipe for a pretty toxic atmosphere.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Rama Set

« Reply #365 on: November 11, 2020, 04:18:56 PM »
Unfortunately, things could get pretty messy in the US and Trump is just adding fuel to the fire.
If...well, let's face it, when Trump's team's legal challenges are laughed out of court you'd like to think that people like Tom would think
"Oh, OK. Well maybe Trump was full of shit then and there was no widespread fraud that robbed Trump of a second term".

But you know what's going to happen. Trump will simply double down and say that the courts are "in on it" or evidence has been suppressed or do anything other to admit that he just lost bigly. And because of that his supporters will believe the same. Trump will continue to believe he was robbed and that means his supporters will believe that they were robbed.

And 70 million people - or a percentage of them - not just feeling pissed off about the result but actively feeling like they've been cheated out of the president they wanted is a recipe for a pretty toxic atmosphere.

I agree, this is going to get worse before it gets better.  I personally would like everyone to cool their jets.  The EC doesn't cast their votes until Dec. 14th anyway, so despite Trump's break with decorum and seemingly undeniable loss in the election, it still isn't a legal win yet.  If the responses could be kept to the easy debunking of Trump's actual legal challenges, or reminders that Trump's rhetoric is simply that, the climate might be a little cooler.

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 11, 2020, 07:07:11 PM »
It's almost certainly a bunch of noise.  But still... I was really hoping to be done with Trump nonsense forever but I guess that'll have to wait 70 days.

Rama Set

« Reply #367 on: November 11, 2020, 08:19:44 PM »
It's almost certainly a bunch of noise.  But still... I was really hoping to be done with Trump nonsense forever but I guess that'll have to wait 70 days.

Once the electoral college votes are allocated it’s all done for Trump.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 13, 2020, 09:13:34 PM »
China congratulate Biden

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-54871890

Even they can see through Trump’s bullshit now.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 09:50:26 PM by AllAroundTheWorld »

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 14, 2020, 07:33:29 AM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/final-states-called-biden-s-projected-electoral-college-victory-matches-n1247766

Well, it's official (barring something really unlikely in the Georgia recount). Biden won with 306 electoral votes, the same number that Trump got in 2016.

That means Trump officially lost by a landslide against the worst presidential candidate in American history*.

*Trump's own assessment
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Rama Set

« Reply #370 on: November 14, 2020, 11:32:23 AM »
It’s not official. State counts haven’t been certified and the Electoral College hasn’t cast their votes.

It’s pretty obvious what will happen, but 2020 might have another surprise for us mortals.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 14, 2020, 01:27:33 PM »
Fine, almost officially.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 14, 2020, 01:33:29 PM »
Fine, almost officially.
Just another month ish.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 14, 2020, 01:39:36 PM »
I have a couple of questions for people more versed in the minute detail of the US democratic process than I. Could unpledged/faithless electors give Trump the win? Also why is the EC so amazingly retarded as to permit electors to vote contrary to the state they're supposed to represent?

Rama Set

« Reply #374 on: November 14, 2020, 01:49:17 PM »
I have a couple of questions for people more versed in the minute detail of the US democratic process than I. Could unpledged/faithless electors give Trump the win? Also why is the EC so amazingly retarded as to permit electors to vote contrary to the state they're supposed to represent?

It’s theoretically possible but it would amount to a constructional crisis and fundamental breakdown of their democratic process. If that happened I would expect things to get extremely ugly. The key swing states have already made statements pledging that such an eventuality is not conceivable for them.

EDIT: There are also states with laws against faithless electors. PA and Georgia notably don’t.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 02:03:33 PM by Rama Set »

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #375 on: November 14, 2020, 02:06:00 PM »
That's my understanding, technically it can happen but there's no real reason to think it will, and to be fair it would require a hell of a turnover since 36 electors would have to flip to give Trump the win.

On the other hand there were two electors who did flip in the last election, actually giving Trump only 304 electors, so I suppose anything is possible.

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 14, 2020, 06:40:05 PM »

Going by a strict reading of the Constitution, yes.  Our votes for the president are just sort of a recommendation.  Technically Mike Bloomberg could have just bribed each member of the electoral college with 10 million a piece to make him president. 

I believe there are penalties against faithless voters but I don't think they're actually prevented from faithless voting.

To answer your second question, everyone knows it's ridiculous.  But the system works very well as affirmative action for republicans so they're loathe to change it.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 16, 2020, 07:56:54 AM »

Someone should tell Joe that according to Congressional intent and precedent set by President Clinton, that there there is no apparent President-Elect as of today.

https://republicans-oversight.house.gov/release/hice-gsa-administrator-must-adhere-to-constitution-past-precedent-in-determining-president-elect/

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 16, 2020, 08:13:22 AM »

Someone should tell Joe that according to Congressional intent and precedent set by President Clinton, that there there is no apparent President-Elect as of today.

https://republicans-oversight.house.gov/release/hice-gsa-administrator-must-adhere-to-constitution-past-precedent-in-determining-president-elect/

Biden Did Not Invent the ‘Office of President-Elect’
Quick Take
Social media posts falsely claim that former Vice President Joe Biden “invented the Office of President-elect.” Donald Trump and Barack Obama also used the term during their transitions to the presidency.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/11/biden-did-not-invent-the-office-of-president-elect/

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 16, 2020, 08:17:15 AM »
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 08:26:55 AM by Tom Bishop »