Offline Dionysios

• View Profile
The Bolsheviks and the Old Belief
« on: May 10, 2015, 06:33:40 PM »
I wanted to say I had this post in mind especially for Chris Spaghetti from Daniel's forum and his earlier posts about atheism. He had made remarks on two occasions which indicated at least some similarity in our pursuits: namely that he was already aware and long interested in a book about a Canadian Methodist preacher who was an incorrigible Maoist (to which I might add that he check out the life of Harry Ward) and a comment of mine that Saudi Arabia's government was far more cruel than that of Israel.

I just wanted to say that I have recently discovered to my satisfaction that the elders of the Russian Old Believers (particularly the Belo Krinitsa) were not only leftist politically oriented, but heartily welcomed and supported the Bolsheviks during and after the Russian revolution. From the course of my study, this seemed logical as the Old Believers were the ancient and persistent enemies of both the Romanovs and the Russian state church after about 1654.

Just thought you'd like to know.

EDIT:
I was reminded of this as I will just happen to be stopping for the night in North Umberland, Pennsylvania this evening and will visit the American residence of Joseph Priestley, another leftist preacher whose house was burned down by the British after he wrote a refutation of Edmund Burke's 'Reflections on the Revolution in France' for which reason he relocated to this house in rural Pennsylvania on the riverfront. Priestley was also the discoverer of oxygen and carbon monoxide among other things and his house an occasional meeting place of the American Chemical Society since the nineteenth century.

Joseph Priestley House
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Priestley_House
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 03:03:15 AM by Dionysios »

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
Re: The Bolsheviks and the Old Belief
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 12:57:12 PM »
I... have no idea what you're talking about.

But I'm flattered that it's dedicated to me...