Rama Set

Re: Ron DeSantis is a shitbag
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2022, 10:41:07 AM »
Now why do you think rebuilding after a disaster with infrastructure designed to withstand the next disaster is inferior to slapping some plywood and grout on the potholes and moving on?
You believe Tom wrote something indicating he thinks this way?

You believe he didn’t???
Not necessarily.

Could you point out the specific sentence he wrote indicating he does think this way?

Why should I bother with you?
I just asked.

Your retort simply and eloquently demonstrates you have nothing and your entire train of thought regarding Tom and DeSantis is really just an Angry Rant.

Not surprising.

Coming from the guy who calls people AIs, this means nothing. What do you think about De Santis’ accepting of COVID relief and emergency funds when it suits him?

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2022, 01:22:22 PM »
What do you think about De Santis’ accepting of COVID relief and emergency funds when it suits him?
I think people of all sorts accept all kinds of things all the time.

Nobody is coming out of this alive.

Let me know when you are done ranting.

Thanks.
To be honest I am getting pretty bored of this place.

Offline J-Man

• "Let's go Brandon ! I agree" >Your President<
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2022, 05:06:09 PM »
DeSantis will become Pres.

House and Senate will close borders, require only citizens can vote and deport all these illegals once found. Jails will be built to house the Dirty Dems....
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

Rama Set

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2022, 07:02:50 PM »
What do you think about De Santis’ accepting of COVID relief and emergency funds when it suits him?
I think people of all sorts accept all kinds of things all the time.

Nice deflection.

Nobody is coming out of this alive.

Man, you're creepy.

Let me know when you are done ranting.

Thanks.

That's my secret.  I am always ranting.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2022, 07:27:13 PM »
Then whats the point of emergency funding?
If your house is flooded to the point where it needs to be rebuilt, do you just get some emergency funding for a week at a hotel and thats it?  Is spending a year to rebuild your house (or more depending on how many houses need to be rebuilt) not an emergency?

Many of the fundamental problems with the bill are not even about rebuilding what the hurricane damaged. The emergency hurricane relief request contained significant items which were going towards projects that were unrelated to the hurricane damage:

https://www.dailysignal.com/2012/12/14/hurricane-sandy-and-fema-abuse/

Last week, President Obama issued a request for $60.4 billion for Hurricane Sandy response and recovery. . . .Roughly $28 billion of the request is marked for future disaster-mitigation projects on the East Coast, including $3.2 million for erosion control projects and $15 billion for Housing and Urban Development Community Development Block Grants. As Heritage’s Matt Mayer explains, “Setting aside whether these projects have merit, a supplemental spending request to deal with a current crisis is not the appropriate vehicle to propose new spending projects.”

...Remove unnecessary items from the Administration’s request, and you’re left with a request of $12.8 billion in supplemental funds. . . .Proponents of looking at offsets for the hurricane supplemental have a point. As Mayer explains, “Too much of the Obama Administration’s supplemental request for Hurricane Sandy includes items best left for its upcoming budget.… Because of the federal government’s dire fiscal condition, underscored by the current fiscal cliff negotiations, spending reductions should offset any additional spending.”

If they want money for future disaster-mitigation projects then they should have acted honestly and created a request for that with the normal way they get funding, not try to sneak it into the hurricane sandy emergency relief.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 08:27:40 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2022, 09:11:41 PM »
If your house is flooded to the point where it needs to be rebuilt, do you just get some emergency funding for a week at a hotel and thats it?  Is spending a year to rebuild your house (or more depending on how many houses need to be rebuilt) not an emergency?

Many of the fundamental problems with the bill are not even about rebuilding what the hurricane damaged. The emergency hurricane relief request contained significant items which were going towards projects that were unrelated to the hurricane damage:

Last week, President Obama issued a request for $60.4 billion for Hurricane Sandy response and recovery. . . .Roughly $28 billion of the request is marked for future disaster-mitigation projects on the East Coast, including $3.2 million for erosion control projects and $15 billion for Housing and Urban Development Community Development Block Grants. As Heritage’s Matt Mayer explains, “Setting aside whether these projects have merit, a supplemental spending request to deal with a current crisis is not the appropriate vehicle to propose new spending projects.”

...Remove unnecessary items from the Administration’s request, and you’re left with a request of $12.8 billion in supplemental funds. . . .Proponents of looking at offsets for the hurricane supplemental have a point. As Mayer explains, “Too much of the Obama Administration’s supplemental request for Hurricane Sandy includes items best left for its upcoming budget.… Because of the federal government’s dire fiscal condition, underscored by the current fiscal cliff negotiations, spending reductions should offset any additional spending.”

If they want money for future disaster-mitigation projects then they should have acted honestly and created a request for that with the normal way they get funding, not try to sneak it into the hurricane sandy emergency relief.
Maybe so.  Sadly, American politics doesn't work like. 
I'm all for a 1 bill, one issue kinda system.  But I'm pretty sure the midwestern states and westard would just vote "no" because why should they care about the East Coast?  Politicians represent their state or area and their state/area generally doesn't give a shit about everyone else's problems.
So nothing would get done and the next Superstorm that hits would require yet another emergency bill.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2022, 10:04:06 PM »

Maybe so.  Sadly, American politics doesn't work like. 
I'm all for a 1 bill, one issue kinda system.  But I'm pretty sure the midwestern states and westard would just vote "no" because why should they care about the East Coast?  Politicians represent their state or area and their state/area generally doesn't give a shit about everyone else's problems.
So nothing would get done and the next Superstorm that hits would require yet another emergency bill.

I don't know.  I think most Americans are cognizant of how connected the states are to each other economically.  Places like Texas and Florida, while they have vile politicians in charge of them are just not areas that we can allow to be down for any amount of time. 

Objecting to future disaster mitigations is also kind of a head scratcher to me.  Do republicans really think that this will be the last hurricane that'll hit Florida?  What if spending 10 billion hardening infrastructure in these storm areas saves 50 billion in damages?  It's financially irresponsible to not prepare for what we know with absolute certainty will happen again.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2022, 01:01:28 AM »
The thing is, it isn't an emergency relief bill, it's a disaster recovery bill.  The hint is in the name.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2022, 09:14:14 AM »
Quote from: crutonius
Objecting to future disaster mitigations is also kind of a head scratcher to me.

The objection was treating non-emergency funding for future disasters and future projects as emergency funding for Hurricane Sandy. Those agencies have normal ways to get funding which does not involve sneaking in money into an emergency aid bill.

The thing is, it isn't an emergency relief bill, it's a disaster recovery bill.  The hint is in the name.

Well, that's incorrect.

https://www.afscme.org/issues/congressional-scorecards/doc2/Scorecard-Senate-201408.pdf

https://www.texasgopvote.com/comment/33581

While I sympathize with the victims of Hurricane Sandy, Congress has already authorized $9.7 billion in emergency funding. But the $50 billion bill considered today includes additional spending far beyond emergency funds for Hurricane Sandy victims. Emergency spending bills should not be a vehicle for pet projects or even important programs. Those types of spending requests should be considered separately.

https://library.cqpress.com/cqalmanac/document.php?id=cqal13-1634-93328-2627902

Almost two weeks after the House action, the Senate voted to pass the disaster bill, even though rifts remained over spending offsets and complaints about the designation of emergency spending in the bill to avoid budget caps.

Here is a quote that is more specific:

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2014/6/1/1303536/-AR-Sen-Mark-Pryor-D-Slams-Tom-Cotton-R-For-Votes-Against-Disaster-Aid

Cotton Voted Against $50 Billion Disaster Supplemental Providing Emergency Aid to Communities Hit By Hurricane Sandy. In 2013, Cotton voted for passage of the bill that would provide about $50.5 billion for communities hit by Superstorm Sandy. Nearly all funding would be designated as emergency spending exempt from discretionary caps, except for $5.4 billion for the Federal Emergency Management Agency's Disaster Relief Fund. As amended, the bill would include about $11.5 billion for FEMA's Disaster Relief Fund, $10.9 billion for transit systems, $16 billion for Department of Housing and Urban Development community development programs, $5.4 billion for the Army Corps of Engineers, $708 million for repairs to national parks, wildlife refuges and facilities, $234 million for Veterans Affairs medical activities and construction projects, $274 million for Coast Guard projects and $520 million for Small Business Administration disaster loans. The bill passed by a vote of 241-180. [CQ; HR 152, Vote #23, 1/15/13]

All was designated as emergency funding except for 5.4 billion into the Federal Emergency Management Agency's Disaster Relief Fund.

The article also outlines specific reasons for why congressmen voted against the bill:

Cotton Argued That Much Of The Funding In The Hurricane Sandy Relief Bill Was Not Going To Natural Disaster Relief. When asked about his vote against the Sandy Disaster Relief Bill, Cotton responded: “’A lot of that money was not going to natural disaster relief. A lot of that money was to go to municipalities that were underinsured,’ Cotton said. He pointed out the amount of money requested was excessive. He said $60 billion is 12 times the budget Arkansas has to work within a year.” [The Courier, 2/18/13]

Cotton: “I Don’t Think Arkansas Needs To Bail Out The Northeast.” When asked about his vote against the Sandy Disaster Relief Bill, Cotton responded: “‘I don’t think Arkansas needs to bail out the Northeast,’ Cotton asserted. He told the audience many of the proposed relief programs were larded up by New York politicians. They were using this opportunity as a grab bag for politicians’ wish lists and for funding repairs to infrastructure that had nothing to do with weather damage.” [The Courier, 2/18/13]

The above article is actually criticizing Cotton for voting against spending bills. It is doing the same thing Rama Set is doing, criticizing anyone who is fiscally responsible as evil for opposing a spending bill. From the article:

COTTON EVEN VOTED TO ELIMINATE FUNDING FOR IMPROVED EXTREME WEATHER WARNINGS AND FORECASTING

This is a rather poor way to argue, to say the least. As if there is no such thing as improper spending. Oddly, this article quotes various reasons why Cotton opposed spending bills. Most attack articles don't bother to quote the opposition at all.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 05:11:06 PM by Tom Bishop »

Rama Set

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2022, 10:26:34 AM »
No I was criticizing De Santis for being a hypocrite. Try to keep up.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2022, 10:50:47 AM »

Please show where DeSantis is asking for money for future disasters unrelated to this hurricane.

Rama Set

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2022, 11:03:08 AM »

Please show where DeSantis is asking for money for future disasters unrelated to this hurricane.

De Santis voted against funding FEMA’s deficit that would arise due to Hurricane Sandy claims because he is a shit bag and he voted against a supplemental bill to build back from hurricane damage, because he is a shit bag. He happily accepted COVID relief funding while irresponsibly spreading lies about COVID and rejecting the notion it was an emergency, because he is a shit bag.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2022, 11:34:42 AM »

Umm.

What do you think the money goes to?  Rebuilding infrastructure.  To be more resistant to the next hurricane.

The difference is that NY and NJ doesn't get such storms every year.
Florida gets several a year. 
Therefore any rebuilding is in preparation for the next storm.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.