Re: Untrustworthy quotation in the wiki
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2021, 08:12:11 PM »
IFLScience is certainly not a "clickfarm of dubious quality".  The majority of its writers are holders
of science degrees; Masters, Bachelors, PhDs etc.

Quote from: Pete Svarrior
Yes, that's exactly why they cite the Daily Mash as their source. The quality of the article speaks for itself, and I encourage you to approach your sources more critically.

Uh... IFLS obviously understands that The Daily Mash is a satirical website which publishes
spoof articles; it's all fabricated and isn't intended, in any way whatsoever, to be taken as
factual.  I'm guessing you could be taking IFLS's light-hearted approach to science a little
more seriously than they intend?

At any rate, I do attempt my best at qualifying the sites I quote as for their accuracy, lack
of bias or political/religious/corporate leanings, and the actual academic qualifications of the
site's writers in a particular field.

One of my compatriots who writes for the site, professor Stephen Luntz...

Quote from: Pete Svarrior
Why did you call him a "professor", by the way? Were you just misusing the title due to your lack of awareness?

Uh... because he is. He's a part-time lecturer at the Melbourne University Physics Department.  
Do you have any particular reason not to describe Luntz thusly?

BTW, I note that FEs describe Samuel Rowbotham as Dr. Rowbotham, and/or Dr. Birley. 
Can you clarify that, as the term "Doctor" is reserved for individuals who've obtained a
university doctorate such as a Ph.D.  I couldn't find any evidence of that in Rowbotham's
academic history.  The FE Wiki merely says of him that he was "an English medical doctor".

And that's it; nothing more, no academic qualifications or medical degrees earned, not even a
confirmed institute of learning or its location.

One has only to look at the academic accreditations and scientific achievements of a few of
Rowbotham's contemporaries—Henri Becquerel, Charles Babbage, John Scott Russell, Joseph Lister,
or James Clerk Maxwell—in order to see the total  dearth of Rowbotham's claimed "qualifications".

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Untrustworthy quotation in the wiki
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2021, 09:17:08 PM »
Uh... IFLS obviously understands that The Daily Mash is a satirical website which publishes spoof articles; it's all fabricated and isn't intended, in any way whatsoever, to be taken as factual.  I'm guessing you could be taking IFLS's light-hearted approach to science a little more seriously than they intend?
You once again use your credulity as the standard for evidence. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what you do and don't consider "obvious". It remains a matter of fact that they carelessly referenced the Daily Mash as one of their data points.

At any rate, I do attempt my best at qualifying the sites I quote as for their accuracy, lack of bias or political/religious/corporate leanings, and the actual academic qualifications of the site's writers in a particular field.
Yes, as you aptly demonstrated when you failed to read the Mirror article and revealed yourself to think that the poll in question was run among Mirror readers; or when you completely ignored all discussion of sample sizes in this thread only to post the very same sample size question that had already been answered. Have you considered that "your best" just isn't very good? You don't even read things before developing opinions on them.

Review. Introspect. Improve.

Uh... because he is. He's a part-time lecturer at the Melbourne University Physics Department.
Ah, so I was right on the money again. You don't know what the rank of professor actually is. You could have taken the hint and read up on it; even the Wikipedia page on the title would suffice.

Do you have any particular reason not to describe Luntz thusly?
But of course. As much as I'm sure he's a great guy, he simply hasn't attained the rank of professor at any instution, at any time. With merely a Bachelor's degree, he wouldn't qualify for the rank even if he did commit to academia. In fact, I'm closer to professorship than he is, and I don't run around demanding that you call me Professor Svarrior, because I, too, am not a professor.

BTW, I note that FEs describe Samuel Rowbotham as Dr. Rowbotham, and/or Dr. Birley.
I'm sure you did. As I previously warned you, I will not allow you to spam each and every thread with your unhealthy obsession with Rowbotham. If you'd like to continue posting here, then I must ask (quite forcefully at this point) that you start following the rules, and that you start following them quickly.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 09:29:06 PM by Pete Svarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume