How does flat earth account for flight times?
« on: October 27, 2017, 09:14:14 PM »
Surely people travel from one country to the next using airplanes. The map provided in the Wiki would describe many flight paths not currently used by airlines, and many different travel times for flights. It seems clear that flight times, and flight paths correspond to a more or less spherical Earth.

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
Re: How does flat earth account for flight times?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 10:39:46 PM »
Surely people travel from one country to the next using airplanes. The map provided in the Wiki would describe many flight paths not currently used by airlines, and many different travel times for flights. It seems clear that flight times, and flight paths correspond to a more or less spherical Earth.

You are correct. FE doesn't have a working map, which seems kinda suspicious for a theory that is so old. The map in the wiki is claimed to only be an example.
I saw a video where a pilot was flying above the sun.
-Terry50

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 03:26:55 AM »

You are correct. FE doesn't have a working map, which seems kinda suspicious for a theory that is so old. The map in the wiki is claimed to only be an example.

As has been comprehensively demonstrated in other threads - the problem isn't JUST that there is no map.  The non-stop travel times (which are known to be correct) of airlines and the (hard to dispute) maximum cruise speeds of airliners allows us to deduce that the route distances claimed by the airlines are correct.   Then, you can take a group of four wide-spread cities that form a quadrilateral and try to lay them out on a flat surface such that the four distances between them and the two diagonals work out right.   If you actually do that, you find that those four cities and the routes between them cannot POSSIBLY lie on any flat surface.   Hence there is no possible flat earth map that'll "work" - so it doesn't matter that the Flat Earthers cannot make one.   We fully understand WHY they cannot.

The only way they can (and do) defend against this problem is to claim that neither the airlines, nor the airplane manufacturers know how fast their planes can fly.   Since the speeds involved on some routes would require regular airliners like the 787 to fly at more than twice the speed of sound - this is an utterly untenable claim.

So - there are no good flat earth maps because there CANNOT BE any good flat earth maps.   It is impossible.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline J-Man

• "Let's go Brandon ! I agree" >Your President<
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 08:37:22 PM »

Forget the map, get into the plane and allow the captain to get you to your destination on time. That's their job and all airlines have stats telling you just how long you could wait on the tarmac being delayed.

The only way you will know for sure is to bump into the dome over Antarctica, but as we know, flights are not allowed and if they were, refueling is an issue.
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 08:36:30 AM »
J-Man, why are you asking him to ignore evidence?
There are very clear signs as to if a plane has gone supersonic, namely a loud crack and a moisture cloud behind the tail. So we know no commercial jet ever goes faster than 1234 km an hour, (800 miles an hour).

But then a plane can fly from mexico city to ciaro to beijin and back to mexico city in 49 hours.
The same model of plane can fly from santiago to capetown to aukland to santiago in 51 hours.
The southern route is at no point closer than 10500 km from the northen route. (And don't claim it's NASA magic as it is measured as ground distance in all but two cases but there is a lot of ground between beijing and aukland).

So from the formula for a circle we can estimate the extra travel time of the southern route as 2pi*10500 km giving an extra66 thousand kilometres that the plane is supposed to travel with just two more hours of flight time.
Even if the southern plane went at the speed of sound, it would need 53 hours just to cover that EXTRA DISTANCE ALONE!
We generally accept evidence from all  sources.

The only evidence for Round Earth celestial accuracy (assuming that timeanddate is even based on RET) is the evidence you collected with your friends last month?

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 09:14:31 AM »

There is no available map for flat earth. We can not draw a logical map for flat earth because only the global earth map supports every aspects of earth such as distances, sun angle etc.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 04:51:06 PM »
the globe earth supports the evidence
How did you arrive at this false conclusion?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 12:17:26 AM »
the globe earth supports the evidence
How did you arrive at this false conclusion?
I would think it is because RET doesn't require magic to work. Celestial gears, a non existent map, and mysterious, unknown accelerating forces are about as plausible an explanation as saying Apollo makes the sun work.

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 03:11:31 AM »
What you think is a straight line in the Flat Earth is actually curved in real life. You just don't know it because the curvature of space is not as flat or endless as we are led to believe.

If you want to travel from Sydney, Australia to South America you do not take a path 'as the crow flies'. Follow the longitude paths for the quickest route that is the same path as the globe model

Each square has roughly the same area. They are tiny in the centre but big at the edges. This is why it looks distorted. Remember you are looking at a 2D map the size of a sheet of paper of a 3D world, tens of thousands of km wide.

The flat earth map works. You guys just need to stop thinking like a brainwashed globetard

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 03:38:21 AM »
What you think is a straight line in the Flat Earth is actually curved in real life. You just don't know it because the curvature of space is not as flat or endless as we are led to believe.

If you want to travel from Sydney, Australia to South America you do not take a path 'as the crow flies'. Follow the longitude paths for the quickest route that is the same path as the globe model

Following longitude lines is not the quickest path and isn't the way airplanes fly.
Examples:
Johannesburg to Sydney:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/QFA64/history/20171105/1650Z/FAOR/YSSY

JFK to Hong Kong goes just about right over the north pole:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CPA845
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CPA845/history/20171105/0455Z/KJFK/VHHH

Each square has roughly the same area. They are tiny in the centre but big at the edges. This is why it looks distorted. Remember you are looking at a 2D map the size of a sheet of paper of a 3D world, tens of thousands of km wide.

The flat earth map works. You guys just need to stop thinking like a brainwashed globetard

"Each quare has roughly the same area, they are tiny in the centre but big at the edges."

Can you help me understand what you're saying? Those two things sound like opposites - they are the same area but they are tiny vs. big. Are you talking about some optical illusion or something?

Offline mtnman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 04:22:42 AM »
They are tiny and big and roughly the same. What?

Projecting a flat Earth onto flat sheet of paper compresses the scale, but would not distort the relationships. Projecting a round Earth onto flat paper would distort, but that's why there are different map projections used. Typically the maps indicate which projection is used.

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 10:24:46 AM »
So the earth is flat, but it is only flat relative to a curved surface?
Is this curved surface possibly a sphere with a six thousand kilometre radius and that is why all observation match it being a globe?
We generally accept evidence from all  sources.

The only evidence for Round Earth celestial accuracy (assuming that timeanddate is even based on RET) is the evidence you collected with your friends last month?

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 11:47:18 AM »
This is not a debate forum. I can't help that you can't get through that globe head conditioning to understand. For now, don't question flat earth answers in the Q&A.  Just accept

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 01:17:57 PM »
This is not a debate forum. I can't help that you can't get through that globe head conditioning to understand. For now, don't question flat earth answers in the Q&A.  Just accept

What magically bends spacetime in just the right way to force your fake map to match what we observe in reality? More magic to attempt to make FET match reality.
I saw a video where a pilot was flying above the sun.
-Terry50

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 01:40:32 PM »

Actually, the rules here say that the FIRST answer in Q&A should come from an FE'er (or at least explain the FET perspective) - after that contrary viewpoints are allowed.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline mtnman

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 03:11:27 PM »
My question was, what does your statement mean when you answered they are tiny and big and roughly the same. Seems like Q&A to me.

devils advocate

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 03:37:50 PM »

Just accept?? How very zetetic

That would be easier if there was A flat earth position, which there is not on so many issues here so why should we accept your answer? Are you better than Tom, Junker, Rushy or Pete? What if they have a different view?

What if your answer makes no sense can we not ask for clarification? If I ask how perspective accounts for sunsets and you answer "Lemons" just because you are a flat earther does not make your answer unquestionable.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2017, 04:04:47 PM »
Actually, the rules here say that the FIRST answer in Q&A should come from an FE'er (or at least explain the FET perspective) - after that contrary viewpoints are allowed.

And where in the rules does it say that is the case? I thought I had made it fairly clear how Q&A is supposed to work in the only stickied topic in this forum (since the forum's general rules don't address it specifically).

I am starting to think that Pete is correct about your inability to tell the truth.

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 04:23:46 PM »
I'm not trying to debate, I just honestly don't understand "the squares are the same size, tiny in the middle and large at the edges." I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm asking for your help in understanding it.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2017, 04:29:21 PM »
There is no Flat Earth map.