Offline RonJ

• ACTA NON VERBA
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about flat earth
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2018, 03:08:38 PM »
If you believe that the earth is flat and round and doesn't rotate at all making a map should be easy.  A flat plane is simple to map with constant distance grid lines.  The problem you have is locating the South Pole.  That location does exist and there is a building there.  There are also other buildings on Antarctica.  Where would they be on the constant grid line map?  Would the measurable distance between the map and the actual locations match?   A few survey flights could quickly map a lot of the area. While you are at it just take a short jog over the edge.  Take a few pictures and confirm for all the disbelievers that the earth is flat and round. 
You can lead flat earthers to the curve but you can't make them think!

Offline JCM

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2018, 06:13:17 PM »
I just want an explanation for why Polaris is 90 degrees above the North Pole, decreases as you go south to below the equator only to have another polar axis in the south rise higher and higher.   Flat Earth has no explanation for this simple observation.

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2018, 06:20:50 PM »
I just want an explanation for why Polaris is 90 degrees above the North Pole, decreases as you go south to below the equator only to have another polar axis in the south rise higher and higher.   Flat Earth has no explanation for this simple observation.

Yes they do. It's atmospheric refraction.The amount of atmosphere that the light from the star has to travel to hit your eye is much larger the further away from the star that you get making your perceived location of the star different than the real location of the star.

Offline RonJ

• ACTA NON VERBA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2018, 07:04:54 PM »
The amount of atmospheric refraction argument isn't valid.  Sailors use the North Star for navigation and it accurately can determine ones latitude on the global earth.  Yes, we will use a little correction for refraction, but it's minor.  The North Start slowly disappears over the horizon the further South you proceed.  If the refraction were to increase by an amount proportional to the distance South and if the mariners didn't correct for that, they would have been getting lost for years.  That didn't so the refraction doesn't change the farther South you go.
You can lead flat earthers to the curve but you can't make them think!

Offline JCM

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2018, 05:21:49 PM »

Yes they do. It's atmospheric refraction.The amount of atmosphere that the light from the star has to travel to hit your eye is much larger the further away from the star that you get making your perceived location of the star different than the real location of the star.

So, refraction is making stars to the north disappear AND new stars to the south appear as you move south?   Which direction is the light bending? And if it is bending a little, why would it matter if the bending is uniform? It wouldn’t make the world flat.  Why are they hidden from view if the Earth is flat as a pancake?  The stars are clearly visible as they rise and as they set, no loss of focus as if the atmosphere is muddying up their light.  Star trails show definitively that there is no significant bending of light due to more atmosphere on the horizon no matter the latitude,the trails are perfectly clear lines of light from horizon to horizon.

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2018, 11:51:11 PM »
Seems a little one sided. I thought it was encouraged to have a debate here. How can one do so if the admins move/delete responses?

It's highly possible that the person deleted their own response (I know I've done it several times). I agree that the moderation sometimes seems a bit one sided but generally I feel like they are somewhat fair.

Does anyone have proof definitive proof that the earth is accelerating upwards?

Depends on your definition of proof. Some people say yes. Some people say no. I'm personally in the no category.

Is there a reputable (Not Youtube) source to find peer reviewed scientific studies on the FE?

There have been a few books. The most popular being from samuel rowbotham.

Please explain the anti moon and cold light given off by the moon.
I've never heard of an anti moon.

Suppose the earth is flat why would governments that are at war with each other work to gather to deceive us?

The map of the earth is a closely guarded military secret like the plans for an atom bomb or super weapon. They are not working together to deceive us. They are working alone to guard their own military secrets.

How can i test the shape of the earth myself?

Here's 200 things you can test.

You can also stand on a beach and take a picture. The horizon is pretty flat.

Is the dome around the earth a solid dome or some sort of electromagnetic/energy field? got mixed answers in this.
There is a treaty for Antartica. Does anyone have the this documentation i cannot find it online?
Someone tell me how GPS works W/O satellites. All GPS antennas are on top of airplanes ruling out ground stations?

There are many different flat earth models.
-Some have a dome and some don't
-Some have an Antartica treaty and some don't.
-Some believe that Antarctica is a giant ice wall around the earth and some believe that Antarctica  is a continent
-Some Believe that GPS works off of balloons, towers, high flying aircraft
-Some believe that GPS works off of satellites from space.

So do you guys also not believe air resistance?

Mysfit

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2018, 11:58:16 PM »
I think most models allow for air, and by extension, its resistance.
I can't make it through that 200 proofs video.

Offline QED

• As mad as a hatter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2018, 10:04:43 PM »
Is there a reputable (Not Youtube) source to find peer reviewed scientific studies on the FE?

There have been a few books. The most popular being from samuel rowbotham.

Please explain the anti moon and cold light given off by the moon.
I've never heard of an anti moon.

Suppose the earth is flat why would governments that are at war with each other work to gather to deceive us?

Incredible. Everything that the author has said is in fact wrong.

The author should take 1 semester of physics. That is all that is needed to discard all 200.

I am simply amazed that any of these ideas are tolerated by independent, thinking agents.

Please do ask me about any one of these 200, and I will be happy to describe exactly how it makes no sense when analyzed against basic physics.
The fact.that it's an old equation without good.demonstration of the underlying mechamism behind it makes.it more invalid, not more valid!

- Tom Bishop

We try to represent FET in a model-agnostic way

- Pete Svarrior