Offline beardo

• View Profile
Re: Supes' Must-Listen-To List (Recommend me albums!)
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 03:43:58 PM »
What's the difference, then?
Industrial doesn't have any rock in it.
The Mastery.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 03:51:56 PM »
That didn't answer the question.  You need to defend your snobbery.

Well, what do you want? It's like asking what the difference between heavy metal and pop-rock is, they're just two different genres of music.

In general, industrial has much less of the "rock" and much more of the "abrasive musique concrete sounds". Industrial rock, industrial metal, electro-industrial and such are commonly understood as being subgenres of post-industrial, not industrial.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 03:54:19 PM »
NIN doesn't really have anything to do with the industrial scene, and not much than a passing resemblance, if any, to the music of groups like Throbbing Gristle, Coil, Foetus etc.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2013, 03:42:54 AM »

Well, what do you want? It's like asking what the difference between heavy metal and pop-rock is, they're just two different genres of music.

In general, industrial has much less of the "rock" and much more of the "abrasive musique concrete sounds". Industrial rock, industrial metal, electro-industrial and such are commonly understood as being subgenres of post-industrial, not industrial.

I was hoping for a rant about how NIN/industrial rock totally sucks and is a disgrace to the industrial genre.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2013, 03:45:51 AM »

I was hoping for a rant about how NIN/industrial rock totally sucks and is a disgrace to the industrial genre.

That would have been too obvious.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2013, 11:52:35 AM »
Regina Spektor - Far: I actually really, really like this album. There’s something about her voice and lyrics—every lyric that she sings sounds so mysterious, and she seems so assured and confident that the mystery runs deeper. There’s something about the way that her songs veer from jauntily bouncing about to a light sprinkling of piano melodies layered under a moody, foggy, mysterious crooning that adds another dimension of intrigue to her music. It makes me want to listen through more and more to further decipher it. I love her falsetto, as well, and just the way she uses her voice in general is impressive. She doesn’t try to show off or go “hay guise luk im bootifull singer”, she simply uses it to complement the music, and if that means pulling off vocal acrobatics at occasional points then so be it. Anyway, yeah, this was really awesome! :D My favourites were “Machine” and “Two Birds”, no question—the formers’s like Marina & the Diamonds mixed with Ellie Goulding mixed with some sort of noise music, while the latter is a much more musically-upbeat track that juxtaposes with rather sad lyrics. “Blue Lips” would follow, since I really just like all the metaphor and imagery, while “Man of a Thousand Faces” is probably the most representative of the mysterious “what is this about and why is it so haunting?” aspect of her music and I love it for that. No idea what it’s talking about, but I love it.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2013, 12:05:00 PM »
I recommended this on IRC before, but it didn't get added. Frank Zappa - Them or Us.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2013, 10:09:50 PM »
My recommendation of Hendrix is also on the list.  I was surprised that nobody commented on that.  Nothing about "overrated" or "pointless guitar wankery" or anything like that.  Where's the bawing?  This is the guy who regularly tops those "greatest guitarists" lists put out by dadrock publications!  Not Zappa, and not whichever obscure European "post-rock" guitarist happens to be your favorite, but Hendrix!  Comment, dammit!

I repeat my request.  Is anyone else here a Hendrix fan?

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2013, 10:20:14 PM »
I'm a Hendrix fan.  He was a fantastic musician and was actually stationed where I live now back when he was in the military.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2013, 03:57:27 AM »
I love Hendrix.  As guitar players go he's up there with Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen, Jeff Beck and Skrillex in my esteem.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 04:02:04 AM by Roundy »
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2013, 04:36:32 AM »
Skrillex is in a class of his own.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2013, 04:38:26 AM »
Skrillex is in a class of his own.

That he definitely is.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2013, 07:39:19 AM »
I repeat my request.  Is anyone else here a Hendrix fan?

Yes.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2013, 06:04:35 PM »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2013, 03:11:48 PM »
I like when I say I'll get around to more stuff soon for real and then don't.

Grooverider - Mysteries of Funk: Sooo…though I specifically asked for the genre, I was pretty disappointed with this. I dunno, aside from a handful of songs I didn’t really like it, to be honest. :[ It’s just my opinion, obviously, but a lot of the songs felt overlong and repetitive, and just not really all that great. The songs I did like were the ones that were a little weirder and more variant, since I dunno, a lot of the tracks sounded far too alike for me. The track I liked the most was “Where’s Jack the Ripper”, and the two follow-ups would be “Imagination (Part 3)” and “560°”. Everything else was kinda…meh. Sorry. :[

Offline GeneralD

• The prodigal son
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2013, 07:15:30 PM »
Death Grips - The Money Store or Government Plates
Rhye - Woman
Mouse on the Keys - Sezession

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2013, 11:24:09 PM »
Radiohead - OK Computer: This was leagues better than I expected. I’m not 100% sure what to say about it…while I’m not much of a cynic myself, I can definitely relate to many of the more pessimistic and cynical lyrics throughout the album even if I don’t fully agree with them. I feel the songs as more how one feels in the moment, not so much overall world-view, which makes it much more personal to me. One specific feeling I can relate to is “Karma Police”, in which (as I interpreted) the singer is judging all these people, rubbing ‘karma’ in their faces, only to pull back at the end and realize that he’s being just as bad by judging them. I have a problem with saying, doing, or feeling things in the moment that I regret later, particularly in arguments. My favourite though is, hands-down, “Climbing Up the Walls”. I just love the latent paranoia and unease littered throughout ever glint and glimmer of the scattered instrumentals, the innocent-yet-crippling worries many people feel, unfounded anxieties and such. I love that. And just in terms of sheer prettiness, “Exit Music (For a Film)” is quite the work of art.

So yeah, my favourite is easily “Climbing Up the Walls”, followed by “Exit Music (For a Film)” and “Karma Police”. From there I have some scattered third-tier favourites and a couple songs I didn’t like as much just by sheer virtue of not being as amazing as the rest, but there was no song I thought wasn’t wonderful.

Offline Foxbox

• We live inside a dream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2013, 11:32:09 PM »
Radiohead - OK Computer: This was leagues better than I expected. I’m not 100% sure what to say about it…while I’m not much of a cynic myself, I can definitely relate to many of the more pessimistic and cynical lyrics throughout the album even if I don’t fully agree with them. I feel the songs as more how one feels in the moment, not so much overall world-view, which makes it much more personal to me. One specific feeling I can relate to is “Karma Police”, in which (as I interpreted) the singer is judging all these people, rubbing ‘karma’ in their faces, only to pull back at the end and realize that he’s being just as bad by judging them. I have a problem with saying, doing, or feeling things in the moment that I regret later, particularly in arguments. My favourite though is, hands-down, “Climbing Up the Walls”. I just love the latent paranoia and unease littered throughout ever glint and glimmer of the scattered instrumentals, the innocent-yet-crippling worries many people feel, unfounded anxieties and such. I love that. And just in terms of sheer prettiness, “Exit Music (For a Film)” is quite the work of art.

So yeah, my favourite is easily “Climbing Up the Walls”, followed by “Exit Music (For a Film)” and “Karma Police”. From there I have some scattered third-tier favourites and a couple songs I didn’t like as much just by sheer virtue of not being as amazing as the rest, but there was no song I thought wasn’t wonderful.

Yay, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! :D Those songs happen to be my favorites from the album as well, though I just love the whole album so much. Climbing Up the Walls has grown on me more recently to become my very favorite tied with Karma Police.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2013, 11:47:25 PM »
One specific feeling I can relate to is “Karma Police”, in which (as I interpreted) the singer is judging all these people, rubbing ‘karma’ in their faces, only to pull back at the end and realize that he’s being just as bad by judging them.

Incorrect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma_Police#Composition_and_lyrics

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2013, 04:10:45 AM »
I'm not really sure that invalidates my interpretation. He never even brought up the ending.