11 (19.3%)
None (Atheism)
31 (54.4%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Offline Socker

• View Profile
Re: What Religion are you?
« Reply #300 on: December 21, 2013, 08:30:17 PM »
Replying to every post he makes with the number of orthographic errors doesn't make you seem intelligent or daring, it makes you seem as annoying as EJ.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #301 on: December 22, 2013, 05:05:31 AM »
The only reason I do it @ all is because it gives me great personal satisfaction to see him hoist himself on his own pitard. Every time he opens his yap & misspells something 6 ways from Saturday he makes himself look like an even bigger ass. It's entertaining to me to point that out. I have agreed to avoid 'low content' posts, so from now on I shall only notate his orthographical errors in the context of an otherwise content rich post. As much as I don't personally re: that as necessary or even desirable (since the content distracts from pointing out what an idiot he is), I recognise forum rules, & will follow them, even when I disagree w/ them.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 22, 2013, 05:16:49 AM »
The only reason I do it @ all is because it gives me great personal satisfaction to see him hoist himself on his own pitard. Every time he opens his yap & misspells something 6 ways from Saturday he makes himself look like an even bigger ass. It's entertaining to me to point that out. I have agreed to avoid 'low content' posts, so from now on I shall only notate his orthographical errors in the context of an otherwise content rich post. As much as I don't personally re: that as necessary or even desirable (since the content distracts from pointing out what an idiot he is), I recognise forum rules, & will follow them, even when I disagree w/ them.

You are but young in the ways of the troll, my son. You will learn in time.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #303 on: December 22, 2013, 01:55:28 PM »

Mother Mary and Joseph... you are something else.
NOTHING TO SEE HERE. IGNORE RAMA SET.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #304 on: December 22, 2013, 02:03:29 PM »
I probably had that one coming!

Offline spank86

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 22, 2013, 03:23:29 PM »

Petard.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #306 on: December 22, 2013, 03:37:02 PM »
I stand corrected on my own orthographic error! I wasn't certain on that one when I wrote it, to be honest. Thank you for the correction. I shan't edit the OP, as that would render the reason for these confusing.

« Reply #307 on: December 22, 2013, 04:37:31 PM »
There is absolutely no good reason for me to think there is a God, and if he does exist then fuck him, he's a dick.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #308 on: December 22, 2013, 04:51:20 PM »
Well, Rotting, @ least that's honest. I can appreciate that, even while disagreeing w/ it.

« Reply #309 on: December 22, 2013, 05:04:53 PM »
Well, Rotting, @ least that's honest. I can appreciate that, even while disagreeing w/ it.

I just require sound evidence and I haven't seen anything convincing. The part about god being a dick was me basically saying that if there was evidence, then sure... I'd believe in god, but he wouldn't get an ounce of respect from me. There are millions of human beings with better morals than the god's we've heard about in holy books.

Offline Socker

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 23, 2013, 01:59:58 AM »
I would rather you leave it out, to be honest. Not one member of the forum has stated their appreciation of it, or says that they find it amusing. In fact, everyone has repeatedly been responding to your posts asking you to stop. I'm starting to think you're the troll.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #311 on: December 23, 2013, 02:33:01 AM »
Well, given he's been banned for @ least a month, there won't be a need for it. Incidentally, if it bothers you all that much, even when he gets back, I'll refrain. On a happier note, whatever you all think of me (that I'm a troll, or obnoxious, or what-not), since we are on speaking terms, I want to wish you all a very merry Christmas. To you & your loved ones, may the day be filled w/ peace & joy. Be safe. I want to see you all back here afterwards!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 02:35:53 AM by Yaakov ben Avraham »

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #312 on: December 23, 2013, 02:47:08 AM »
Incidentally, are we really so sure that EJ was a troll? Having taught @ university in the US, I am all too familiar w/ the extremely low calibre of student produced by the nation's public high schools. He may simply be an idiot rather than a troll. He is a schmuck in either case, but do you all see my point?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #313 on: December 23, 2013, 03:23:30 AM »
Incidentally, are we really so sure that EJ was a troll?

Yes.  We are.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #314 on: December 24, 2013, 11:41:24 AM »
I don't know. A friend of mine reviewed this board (non-Jewish, just to make sure that that wasn't somehow colouring my view of things). She thought EJ was a schmuck & an idiot, but not a troll. If a troll is 'a person of average or above average intelligence who surfs boards to cause trouble', like derailing threads & so-forth, she thought he wasn't very good @ it. A successful troll doesn't get banned twice in 3 days! You all have more experience w/ this than I do, so I'll let your judgement of the matter stand, but it does seem odd. Incidentally, if I've been guilty of troll-like behaviour (I haven't done so intentionally, @ any rate), I offer my apology here.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #315 on: December 24, 2013, 12:08:07 PM »
Rotting, good to see you on this board. Re: God in holy books, I have what may be a possible way forward for you on that. I'm not saying its how I think (frankly, I've not given much thought to the matter @ all), but it may help you. @ least as re: the Bible, whether you're a Jew or a Christian, & thus accept only the 1st part or both parts, it tends to be the more violent parts of the Hebrew Bible w/ which people have problems. Some liberal scholars have suggested that the Bible isn't so much a book of God's word to us as it is a book of man's words about God to his fellow man. If that's true, than you can imagine how garbled the message might be by the time it gets from God to the original writer, through the editors, on to us! I'm not saying what I believe now. I'm just sharing what some Jewish & Christian scholars have suggested, particularly in re: to earlier books of the Hebrew Bible, like Joshua, w/ its incredibly bloody-minded God. Personally, I've got no problem w/ the God of Joshua, but I know that

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #316 on: December 24, 2013, 12:16:26 PM »
many people are disturbed by such a Deity. & many of those people consider themselves devout Jews or Christians. So scholars have developed ways to deal w/ that problem. Whether they have been successful or not is for you all to decide. I've no trouble w/ the God of Divine Wrath in the Scripture v. the God of righteousness in the Prophets. To me its flip sides of the same coin, & complimentary. But, what I just shared w/ you is a way of moving forward for someone w/ your concerns. Incidentally, merry Christmas.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #317 on: December 24, 2013, 01:17:32 PM »
Rotting, as re: evidence for the existence of God, respectable or otherwise, well, honestly, I'm not sure there IS an answer to that which you would accept. Some things I can prove. Is the Earth round? Look @ a picture or observe mathematical proofs. But is God real? @ best I can give you probabilities. You still have a faith leap to take. If you're not inclined to do that, then nothing I or any theist says will ever be enough for you. And, unlike a Christian or a Muslim, I don't believe in Hell. & I'm not fond of judging what non-Jews have or have not been taught about the Deity. So, your belief or lack thereof is beyond my competance to evaluate. I know that none of this helps much. I'm sorry. About the multiple posts, do forgive. 2 were length problems, & 2 were different subjects. I'll be more careful in future.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 01:21:14 PM by Yaakov ben Avraham »

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 24, 2013, 02:36:20 PM »
Rotting, as re: evidence for the existence of God, respectable or otherwise, well, honestly, I'm not sure there IS an answer to that which you would accept. Some things I can prove. Is the Earth round? Look @ a picture or observe mathematical proofs. But is God real? @ best I can give you probabilities. You still have a faith leap to take. If you're not inclined to do that, then nothing I or any theist says will ever be enough for you. And, unlike a Christian or a Muslim, I don't believe in Hell. & I'm not fond of judging what non-Jews have or have not been taught about the Deity. So, your belief or lack thereof is beyond my competance to evaluate. I know that none of this helps much. I'm sorry. About the multiple posts, do forgive. 2 were length problems, & 2 were different subjects. I'll be more careful in future.

There isn't a mathematical proof that the earth is round, that's silly, and one cannot prove the non-existence of god.  I'd ask you why you DO believe, though.  What have you experienced that convinced you so that a god exists, while my experience has led me to the opposite conclusion.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #319 on: December 24, 2013, 03:20:32 PM »
Re: mathematical proof for the roundness of Earth, I know the Ancient Greeks had it. The book 'Flat Earth: the History of an Infamous Idea' by Christine Garwood, published 2007 goes into it. I am NOT a mathematician by any stretch of the imagination (I despise the subject), so I won't try to explain those proofs. Perhaps someone here can. Re: why I believe in God, there are 3 reasons, none of which will likely appeal to you. 1. I find it highly unlikely that this universe in all its ordered glory just happened by accident. Just the human eyeball alone is complex enough to me to prove that something intelligent created it. 2. I'm alive. W/ all I've been through, I damn sure shouldn't be! God has truly worked miracles in my life, both medical & otherwise. 3. The following will likely be irrelevant to you, but I include it as you asked all my reasons. As a Jew, it simply does not compute to doubt what has been given us in the Hebrew Bible. The very continued existence of my people down through the centuries has