Re: Gateway Musicians
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 10:00:31 PM »
I can't really say. I've always embraced all sorts of music, probably because my parents listened to a variety of music while I was growing up.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Rama Set

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2013, 12:25:56 AM »
Faith No More
lol, but seriously. 

You've probably only listened to their first album with Mike Patton. The one with "Epic" on it. It's all good. Let me know if you want to hear any of their other stuff.

I will also add Salt'n'Pepa to this. They rocked my world in grade 5.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2013, 05:01:27 AM »
My life changed when I first heard "Walk on the Wild Side" by Lou Reed.  It sparked an interest in classic rock that has informed my taste in music to this day. 

Guns n Roses, Metallica, and Van Halen (their early stuff, with David Lee Roth) probably deserve joint credit in getting me interested in heavy rock music.  Van Halen more than the others I guess because I heard them first, but GnR and Metallica deserve mentioning because they were the first hard rock/metal groups I ever really got into.

Without The Clash's London Calling I may never have gotten over my opinion of punk music as nothing more than repetitive and amateurish; I now consider it my favorite genre of music.  Moby's Play led to a similar epiphany regarding the merits of electronic music.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2013, 08:05:17 AM »
Faith No More
lol, but seriously. 

You've probably only listened to their first album with Mike Patton. The one with "Epic" on it. It's all good. Let me know if you want to hear any of their other stuff.

No, they fucked up a Metallica concert for me.  Thanks a lot, Talent No Moar. 

Rama Set

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2013, 01:34:01 PM »
Faith No More
lol, but seriously. 

No, they fucked up a Metallica concert for me.  Thanks a lot, Talent No Moar. 

Oh geez, you are judging them on the sound levels when they were opening for another band?  That's not really a good way to see a band. I have seen some brilliant love musicians who sounded awful when opening.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2013, 03:20:25 PM »
I believe it was the Justice tour around 89, maybe a little later.  Talent no Moar sucked so bad that I was praying for Metallica to come on stage. 

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2013, 06:43:35 PM »
Danzig ruined a Metallica concert for me once.  >:(
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Rama Set

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2013, 06:56:59 PM »
I believe it was the Justice tour around 89, maybe a little later.  Talent no Moar sucked so bad that I was praying for Metallica to come on stage. 

Thanks for repeating yourself and adding the year in. It totally changed my mind!  Anyway, I was right, you only heard Faith No more when Mike Patton was not in control. Different band subsequent to "The Real Thing". You should check it out, unless you are really attached to 1989.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2013, 07:10:48 PM »

Thanks for repeating yourself and adding the year in. It totally changed my mind!  Anyway, I was right, you only heard Faith No more when Mike Patton was not in control. Different band subsequent to "The Real Thing". You should check it out, unless you are really attached to 1989.

You sound buttfrustrated.

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2013, 08:30:48 PM »
Foo Fighters.

There goes my hero...
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Rama Set

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2013, 09:00:31 PM »

You sound buttfrustrated.

You can tell??

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2013, 12:25:49 AM »
Metallica ruined a Metallica concert for me.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2013, 12:30:25 AM »
Metallica ruined Metallica for me.
The Mastery.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2013, 12:33:33 AM »
Metallica sucks.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2013, 12:47:46 AM »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2013, 12:55:29 AM »
Kill 'em all is the only good Metallica album.
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2013, 04:30:28 AM »
I do not personally care for Metallica, but I would never be so bold as to claim that that makes them a bad band.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2013, 05:57:40 AM »
Without The Clash's London Calling I may never have gotten over my opinion of punk music as nothing more than repetitive and amateurish; I now consider it my favorite genre of music.

London Calling is arguably more post-punk than punk itself.  I'm not entirely sure what that means, but I think it refers to the music being somewhat more complex and varied in its influences than traditional punk.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2013, 06:05:12 AM »
Without The Clash's London Calling I may never have gotten over my opinion of punk music as nothing more than repetitive and amateurish; I now consider it my favorite genre of music.

London Calling is arguably more post-punk than punk itself.  I'm not entirely sure what that means, but I think it refers to the music being somewhat more complex and varied in its influences than traditional punk.

I can understand that, but if that's a thing it must be a relatively new one.  I've always heard it referred to as punk.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2013, 06:08:06 AM »

So, who's arguing that then?