Re: So... any more flat earthers out there with evidence to present?
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2016, 02:54:06 AM »
So taking mainstream science calculations into account the salt flats of Bolivia are 100 miles in length by about 80 miles in width so take into account the measurements of the earth then at 100 miles the curvature should be as above 6666 feet that's 1.2 miles yet it only drops by 3feet over the whole surface this alone proves we are not a spheroid because the definition of sphere in geometry is " a three dimensional shape that looks like a ball ". "A solid that is bounded by a surface consisting of all points at a given distance from a point constituting it's centre". Basically means no straight lines even at a micro scale of a ball. So if we're on a spinning ball how come we got so much flatness of hundreds of miles just a thought for you ball earthers to ponder over .

No one has ever claimed the earth is a perfect sphere at the micro level. It is approximately a sphere, but it obviously has many imperfections in the form of mountains, valleys, hills, cliffs, caves, termite mounds, etc. Even a 100 mile long "flat" plain would barely make a dent in the overall surface. The earth is really really big.

Also, I don't know where you got your information about the Bolivian salt flats, but you clearly misunderstood your source. The salt flats are "flat" in the sense that the entire thing is at the same altitude. The same elevation above sea level. The same approximate distance from the center of the earth. This is what people mean when they say a plain/ocean/lake is "flat". It isn't actually Euclidian-flat like you are imagining it. I noticed you made the same argument about Kansas. Same thing applies.

The stars rotate above us and return to their same positions year after year and have done so for eternity.

*ahem* no.

The horizon is always eye level no matter how high you are and that is only possible on a flat plane.

Tell me, how far below eye level do you expect the horizon to be if the earth is round? Give me an exact number based on altitude. No guessing. Use math.

the small sun and moon rotate above us clockwise

The small, close sun and moon have been thorouhly, thoroughly disproven.

ok then if we are indeed on a ball how come you cannot detect any curvature?

We can. Ships/buildings sink below the horizon bottom first. The bottom cannot be restored with a telescope. Flat earthers claim otherwise, but they have never provided valid evidence to support this claim.

from California to Hawaii it is 2,467 miles. Between the two states there should be a "hump" of 770 miles if we're on a globe!! No hump is possible in water use your eyes that's why it's called sea level not sea curve..

You can see California from Hawaii with your eyes? Hahaahahaaaa... Ok. It is called "sea level" because it is all at the same elevation, altitude, distance from the center of the earth. See above.

Plus where is your sound evidence that were on a ball ?

Aside from the stuff linked to above...

The position of sunrise/sunset on the Equinox.
The rotation of the stars around the South Celestial Pole
Change in angle of the sun with distance

and much much more...

Honestly, all of this "evidence" that you have has been debunked many times on this site. You just are just parroting the standard set of "evidence" that most flat earth youtube videos repeat over and over again. The people that make these videos are woefully ignorant of basic physics, geometry, and astronomy.

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2016, 07:45:08 AM »

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2016, 08:02:14 AM »
Plus if we're not a perfect ball then why is every nasa image of earth show a ball? If we're so called oblate or pear shaped why does the earth look like a ball then?(from nasa images) plus in their own description of how the image is clearly not a true image because it's just composites of data put together,not a true image.but amazes me how they get this data to travel millions of miles back to earth lol that is one hell of a connection .

Offline CableDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2016, 10:59:24 AM »
Plus if we're not a perfect ball then why is every nasa image of earth show a ball? If we're so called oblate or pear shaped why does the earth look like a ball then?(from nasa images) plus in their own description of how the image is clearly not a true image because it's just composites of data put together,not a true image.but amazes me how they get this data to travel millions of miles back to earth lol that is one hell of a connection .

Do you even attempt to research these things you ask about?

Considering Earth is an oblate spheroid there are two circumferences to deal with.

1.  Equatorial = 40,075 kilometers.
2.  Meridional (polar) = 40,007 kilometers.

This means that there is a 0.17% difference between the two.

To put this in terms you might understand, go back to your small ball analogy.

A small ball of 2 inches diameter has a circumference of 6.28 inches.  Now, imagine that you smash that ball (top to bottom or side to side) by the same percentage as noted above.

You will have flattened your ball by 0.011 inches.

The smallest measurement on an average American SAE tape measure is 1/16 of an inch.  1/16 of an inch is approximately 0.0625 inches or about 5.7 times larger than the amount you've compressed your ball by.

What do you think the odds are that you are going to actually perceive that minute compression on your ball?  Why do you think the same should be perceivable in a photo of Earth?

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2016, 12:28:53 PM »
Come up with something new!

That video tries to show the route from Bali to Los Angeles as a straight line on a Mercator Projection map.
The shortest distance from Bali to Los Angeles is NOT a straight line on a Mercator Projection map, but a great circle, which does take you close to Alaska.

Aircraft do not always take the shortest route, as other factors such as winds need to be considered, but look at the actual path of a recent China Airways Flight over the same route.

China Airlines Flight 8, Taipei to Los Angeles on Flightaware

As you can see the diversion made perfect sense when you look at the flight route, which goes close to Alaska anyway.  Certainly, Anchorage is better than Guam or Honolulu.
Now I don't know if Flat Earth Addict is abysmally ignorant or intentionally deceptive, but either way, someone making a video like that has a duty to get his facts right.
So you "wonderfully deceptive" video did not provide any evidence of a flat earth at all! "Try again, Dick Whittington!" as they say in the classics.

Just another of the usual! "I don't understand the Globe, so the earth must be flat." No, it just means that you don't understand the Globe! Go learn a bit about it before you try to shoot it down!

« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2016, 01:58:28 PM »

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2016, 09:11:49 PM »

I deleted this post and replaced it by the next - a lot more explanation!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 02:45:22 AM by rabinoz »

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2016, 02:44:08 AM »
I'll redo this and be a bit more explicit.
If you accept the Globe you accept gravitation. End of story!

The video starts out boldly proclaiming:
Water ALWAYS Maintains a LEVEL
Water does NOT bend or curve
That is simply not, nor has it ever been a law, no more than the saying
"Water seeks its own level", but that does NOT say that the surface of water is always level, or straight.
There are numerous cases where, because of non-vertical forces being applied to water that the surface is not "straight".

A trivial case is a dew-drop. It is certainly not flat, why?
Simply because there are forces other that gravity acting on it.
In this case the force is "Surface Tension".

There are other forces that can be applied, for example, we could rotate tank of water smoothly, as in this video

Of course, you will say that the water in that tank is not only subject to the downward acceleration of gravity (or whatever you choose to call it), but to an additional acceleration due its  rotation. EXACTLY! The nett acceleration is not in a single direction anymore and the surface aligns itself at right angles to this nett acceleration at each location, as illustrated below:

Rotating Water Curving

Now, please understand that the only reason I am showing this it simply to demonstrate that the surface of water need not be "straight". It simply depends on the local acceleration, here gravity (down) and centrifugal acceleration (outwards). So at the outside edge, the surface of the water is at about 45° to the horizontal.
I am not suggesting that the rotation of the earth holds the oceans in place, it most certainly does not.

There are other examples such as in eddies and whirlpools, where again an acceleration due to rotation is involved.

On the Globe the gravitational acceleration is always directed towards the centre of the earth as in:

Water Curves on Globe
Excuse my poor image of the globe.
So the nett force is not towards the centre of the globe, so the water tries to go "down" as far as possible and follows the curve of the earth.

So while it may be true that "Water seeks its own level", that level need not be straight or flat.

« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2016, 01:35:36 PM »
Real water has curves (paraphrased)

This is pretty well explained. We should start a thread dedicated to keeping track of good explanations of common flat earther misunderstandings. A counter-wiki. I'll start it next week when I have more time if no one beats me to it.

geckothegeek

« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2016, 07:33:04 PM »
Real water has curves (paraphrased)

This is pretty well explained. We should start a thread dedicated to keeping track of good explanations of common flat earther misunderstandings. A counter-wiki. I'll start it next week when I have more time if no one beats me to it.
[/quote

You are going to have a very long list !!!! LOL
IMHO :
(1) This is just another "spoof" website.
(2) "flat earthers" aren't all stupid or ignorant...they are just ill-informed or un-informed.