The ISS - Who Should I believe?
« on: July 19, 2021, 01:15:23 PM »
Hi all
I've now had several Flate Earth believers tell me that the ISS isn't real. so I decided to check it out for myself.

With the help of my brother-in-law (who lives 350 miles away) we both observed the ISS passing across the sky then used the angle of our observations to calculate the height. We came up with an approximate height of 232 miles. This is pretty close to the official figure of 220 miles.

I then decided to try and photograph it through a telescope. I took about 60 photographs and put them together into a gif. Here's the result.

https://ibb.co/xJVb5gx

Obviously, I can't prove for myself that there are astronauts onboard. But I have now proven to myself that the object that people call the ISS is real and that it travels above the earth at a height of about 220 miles.

So who should I believe?

1. A flat earther who tells me it doesn't exist
or
2. NASA

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (>^_^)> it's propaganda time (◕‿◕✿)
    • View Profile
    • The Flat Earth Society
Re: The ISS - Who Should I believe?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 01:31:15 PM »
So who should I believe?

1. A flat earther who tells me it doesn't exist
or
2. NASA
Neither. You've already done the exact right thing - you asked a question and set out to perform your own observation and draw your own conclusion. If you're happy with your results, what else are you hoping to achieve by posting about it?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

<Parsifal> I like looking at Chinese Wikipedia with Noto installed
<Parsifal> I don't understand any of it but the symbols look nice

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 01:36:06 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Pete

I guess I'm wondering why people doubt its existence when it's relatively easy to prove that it really does exist.

Doesn't that strike you as odd?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (>^_^)> it's propaganda time (◕‿◕✿)
    • View Profile
    • The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 01:41:33 PM »
I guess I'm wondering why people doubt its existence when it's relatively easy to prove that it really does exist.
Personally, I haven't been able to establish much of a rapport with the people who claim the ISS doesn't exist. They tend to dismiss me as some sort of Illuminati government "shill", or whatever.

Doesn't that strike you as odd?
After spending as many years here as I have, it no longer strikes me as odd that very unreasonable people exist. We get FE'ers with borderline indefensible beliefs, and RE'ers who struggle to tell the difference between velocity and acceleration, and who yet still feel confident in debating physics. But I do understand where you're coming from.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

<Parsifal> I like looking at Chinese Wikipedia with Noto installed
<Parsifal> I don't understand any of it but the symbols look nice

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 10:59:08 PM »
Thanks for the insight, Pete
I came here hoping to engage in a conversation with some flat earthers, but that seems much harder than I thought it would.

But I will persevere :)

Cheers
Peter