Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
Re: Fake news makes real news
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 05:30:32 AM »
Snopes has a good article on the story:

http://www.snopes.com/pizzagate-conspiracy/

Extensive debunking of the conspiracy theorists' claims, as well as highlighting the dishonesty behind the websites that pushed the story to begin with.  It's funny how the people who are so sharp that the government's lies can never get past them prove to be far more gullible when it comes to alt-news websites telling them what they want to hear.

I think it has more to do with the fact that people are just fed up with media sources like Huffington Post, NY Times, The Washington Post, Vice, NPR, Reuters etc... being so blatantly biased, and practically engaging in fake news reporting themselves. It's not just an anti-Trump crusade either because they shunned Bernie too. Mainstream media in America has almost no credibility now, except with Hillary supporters who will gladly accept any support their side gets whether it is legitimate or not. So, stories like this are meant to be a "fuck you" to the establishment. For example, one of my friends on Facebook doesn't actually believe this story is true, yet he still posts stories about it to get at his liberal friends. And I don't really blame this type of protesting either. The left in the US has become boundlessly hypocritical.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 05:34:35 AM by Hollocron »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2016, 02:04:05 PM »
Whoa, don't be putting NPR in with those others.

NPR is legit. I wouldn't say they've done any "fake news reporting." They only have a perceived left bias because they share stories and opinion pieces from people around the world. If you read or listen to them then you'd see they're actually pretty objective with their reporting.

Hell, I listened to a bit about Ben Carson last night and everyone was being supportive and optimistic.

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2016, 06:04:01 PM »
NPR is legit.

i highly recommend pbs newshour, too.  i think they do an impeccable job of being non-partisan.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2016, 09:53:54 PM »

NPR is legit. I wouldn't say they've done any "fake news reporting." They only have a perceived left bias because they share stories and opinion pieces from people around the world. If you read or listen to them then you'd see they're actually pretty objective with their reporting.

Hell, I listened to a bit about Ben Carson last night and everyone was being supportive and optimistic.

Reuters is fine as well. It's my preferred source of news. I think Hollocron just has a bias against reality.

George

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2016, 10:15:06 PM »
There's an interesting article from a few months ago that attempts to explain why most of the media is so firmly anti-Trump.  The part about how Trump lies in a way that's considered unacceptable in political journalism is of particular note.  Also, in more recent news about news:

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2016, 04:36:28 AM »

NPR doesn't post fake news, but they are heavily left leaning. The opinion pieces they share reflect their own opinions as well. Billy Bob doesn't have to write his own content for him to show bias. All you have to do is look at his NRA and Drudge Report reposts to see the bias.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2016, 12:45:27 PM »
Reddit used to have a sub dedicated to the investigation of Pizzagate, but was banned due to pressure by the Clinton Foundation. The research has moved to https://voat.co/v/PizzaGate

Here is a good summary of some of the main findings:

https://voat.co/v/pizzagate/1467064

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2016, 01:32:07 PM »
NPR doesn't post fake news, but they are heavily left leaning. The opinion pieces they share reflect their own opinions as well. Billy Bob doesn't have to write his own content for him to show bias. All you have to do is look at his NRA and Drudge Report reposts to see the bias.
It's not like they're actually just sharing unedited stories. They take snippets and use it for their own objective reporting or they interview someone with a more conservative opinion. So, like the Ben Carson thing I mentioned - nothing negative was said about Ben Carson. Then I also listened to a Native American give her opinion on why the Dakota Pipeline was the safest and best route. They're informative and very factual. They even hosted their own live fact checking during the Presidential debates.

I think it's more the science articles, sharing personal stories from people in East Asia (ex: people who use meth to make it through a day of work), and international music that makes the right think it's too left. Nothing is actually biased except maybe the people they interview but y'know - that's life. You can't interview robots.

They make it a point to interview people from all walks of life so they maintain a pretty professional stance. They're very proud of it too if you've ever heard one of their fundraising days.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 01:35:02 PM by rooster »

Rama Set

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2016, 02:18:10 PM »
Reddit used to have a sub dedicated to the investigation of Pizzagate, but was banned due to pressure by the Clinton Foundation. The research has moved to https://voat.co/v/PizzaGate

How do you know it was the Clinton foundation's pressure?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2016, 04:32:43 PM »

The sub was closed due to complaints, and it probably wasn't the Trump campaign complaining. The people involved are also complaining loudly in the press about it. It's not too hard to figure out.

Rama Set

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2016, 04:34:42 PM »
The sub was closed due to complaints, and it probably wasn't the Trump campaign complaining. The people involved are also complaining loudly in the press about it. It's not too hard to figure out.

With logic like that, how could one argue?

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2016, 05:33:37 PM »

that's an awful summary.  it's just a list of urls.

which handful do you find the most compelling?  what do you consider to be the best evidence?
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2016, 07:37:21 PM »

Extensive debunking of the conspiracy theorists' claims, as well as highlighting the dishonesty behind the websites that pushed the story to begin with.  It's funny how the people who are so sharp that the government's lies can never get past them prove to be far more gullible when it comes to alt-news websites telling them what they want to hear.

lol people still using snopes

which handful do you find the most compelling?  what do you consider to be the best evidence?

Read it or don't, man. It's nobody elses job to educate you. What are you afraid of? What do you have to lose? Why waste more time chastising the people who have done their research into A VAST CONSPIRACY INVOLVING CHILD SEX TRAFFICKING than the time it takes to do some rudimentary readings and skimming.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 07:45:19 PM by TheTruthIsOnHere »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2016, 09:28:36 PM »

Just read the text on that page in its entirety. If you have any questions about the legitimacy of a claim click on the associated urls.

George

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2016, 12:22:12 AM »

lol people still using snopes

Excellent rebuttal.  I completely understand now why that article is wrong and these allegations are actually true.

Also, that Voat page is nothing more than a meaningless jumble of speculation, happenstance, interpreting obvious jokes as serious confessions, general FUD, and the like.  "So?" is the appropriate response to most of these claims.  A number of them aren't even true.  It talks about the ACORN "sting" video from James O'Keefe as if it hadn't already been widely debunked as a carefully edited hoax, and tries to support its claim that the American Psychiatric Association is trying to normalize pedophilia by citing an article which itself cites an article that clearly says no such thing.

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2016, 01:43:18 AM »

And as we all know, all human beings are either part of the Trump campaign or the Clinton campaign.

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2016, 02:13:02 AM »
Read it or don't, man. It's nobody elses job to educate you. What are you afraid of? What do you have to lose?

my worldview has no trouble incorporating the notion that there are evil people in the world who do evil things.  spamming urls in an unorganized laundry list is still a poor form of education.  the only reason to present one's argument in such a fashion is to disguise the lack of substance by trying to impress the reader with how many links there are.  honestly, that's why it's written like it is.  i'm supposed to look at it and think "oh wow look at how well-researched this is.  there must be something to this."  not buying it.

a bunch of assorted links about sex rings in norway and "check out this weird painter" and "podesta mentioned some guy in an email once" isn't anything but subterfuge.

Just read the text on that page in its entirety. If you have any questions about the legitimacy of a claim click on the associated urls.

i read a bunch of them.  is there anything in there better than "podesta likes this weird painter"?  i know lots of people who like shitty art.  bfd.

also i love the "code" in the infographic.  it leads to sentences i would've made playing mad-libs in jr. high:
Subject: Re: People of color orgy?ing
People of color growing northern CA surely knows and celebrates people of color little boy orgy? Actually what surprises me is that we haven't already served it to you.

On Apr 11, 2015 3:51 PM, "John Podesta" wrote: It's an amazing Ligurian dish made with crushed people of color made into a paste. So stop being so California. JP --Sent from my iPad--

On Apr 11, 2015, at 5:45 PM, Jim Steyer wrote: Hey John, We know you're a true master of cuisine and we have appreciated that for years ... But people of color orgy for the little boy? Mary, plz tell us the straight story, was the orgy actually very tasty? Love to all the Podestas from the Steyers! Cheers, Jim

has it ever occured to y'all that maybe pizza just isn't an uncommon thing to talk about?  and, you know, some people eat and enjoy pizza?  have you people never worked in an office before?  never emailed coworkers about food?  never shared an inside joke with anyone?   

you think it's more likely that they meant "fisting little boy assholes" or whatever?  why?  other than the fact that you saw it in an infographic, what actual, tangible reason do you have for believing that john podesta means "fucking children" instead of the words he actually wrote?  this is the thing i can't wrap my mind around.

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2016, 02:59:37 AM »
You have your take on the evidence and I have mine.

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2016, 12:13:35 PM »

Linking to a subreddit isn't really presenting us with evidence. It's just a lazy way of avoiding having to defend your position.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2016, 01:35:20 PM »

If you need to interpret evidence, then it becomes opinion, not fact.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.