Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #700 on: September 12, 2014, 03:06:13 PM »
In the Company of Men (Neil LaBute)

LaBute's debut casts him in somewhat different light to "the guy who made that film with Nicolas Cage punching women while wearing a bear costume", even if the subject matter isn't necessarily all that different. The story concerns two men who are heading out of town on business for six weeks, while waiting for a flight they, going through messy break-ups and wanting revenge on women, make a pact to find a lonely fragile woman, wine and dine her separately, and then break her heart for the sake of hurting her. I don't want to give much else away because I really think people should just see it, it's definitely the most brilliant satire I've seen in a long time, and not only has major laughs but tangible pain and sadness, often in the same moment. It's a really great piece of work.

Rama Set

« Reply #701 on: September 12, 2014, 04:08:27 PM »
In the Company of Men (Neil LaBute)

LaBute's debut casts him in somewhat different light to "the guy who made that film with Nicolas Cage punching women while wearing a bear costume", even if the subject matter isn't necessarily all that different. The story concerns two men who are heading out of town on business for six weeks, while waiting for a flight they, going through messy break-ups and wanting revenge on women, make a pact to find a lonely fragile woman, wine and dine her separately, and then break her heart for the sake of hurting her. I don't want to give much else away because I really think people should just see it, it's definitely the most brilliant satire I've seen in a long time, and not only has major laughs but tangible pain and sadness, often in the same moment. It's a really great piece of work.

A movie one should avoid seeing with their significant other at all costs.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #702 on: September 14, 2014, 05:33:39 PM »
First season of Black Sails. A political drama with the most historically accurate pirates I've ever seen. This show actually makes me interested to learn more about them. They use a historian on set so they just nail the time period. Plus, the characters are very well written. It just looks fantastic as well.

It can be a bit boring with the more political moments, but after two episodes you get really sucked into the plot. I just finished it yesterday but I'm already re-watching it.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #703 on: September 14, 2014, 06:38:54 PM »
But that's on Starz and has Michael Bay as a producer.  Both Starz and Michael Bay are terrible.

Ghost of V

« Reply #704 on: September 14, 2014, 07:03:38 PM »
They have physicists working on The Big Bang Theory but that show still sucks.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #705 on: September 14, 2014, 07:57:41 PM »
But that's on Starz and has Michael Bay as a producer.  Both Starz and Michael Bay are terrible.
Starz is fine. Michael Bay is just the producer which means they've got a lot of money. He's not a director so there are no dumb explosions.

They have physicists working on The Big Bang Theory but that show still sucks.
That's cause the comedy is dumb.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: September 14, 2014, 08:02:31 PM »
I think The Big Bang Theory is funny. Bring it on, haters.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #707 on: September 14, 2014, 08:09:06 PM »
So do I, actually.

« Reply #708 on: September 14, 2014, 08:10:49 PM »
Both of you are terrible.

Ghost of V

« Reply #709 on: September 14, 2014, 08:13:21 PM »

The first two seasons are really great, but after that it's just endless relationship dramas. Why does Sheldon even have a fucking girlfriend? They changed his character at that point, and the show is far worse because of it.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: September 14, 2014, 09:11:53 PM »
The first two seasons are really great, but after that it's just endless relationship dramas. Why does Sheldon even have a fucking girlfriend? They changed his character at that point, and the show is far worse because of it.

Why are you looking for deep and thoughtful character development in a sitcom?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #711 on: September 14, 2014, 09:25:51 PM »
TBBT is objectively terrible.

Rama Set

« Reply #712 on: September 14, 2014, 09:35:27 PM »
TBBT is objectively terrible.

Incorrect. It is funny as fuck.

« Reply #713 on: September 14, 2014, 09:36:01 PM »

Because good sitcoms do it.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: September 14, 2014, 09:38:26 PM »
Because good sitcoms do it.

A good sitcom is funny. That is the only criteria.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: September 14, 2014, 09:48:54 PM »
Poorly-coded N64 emulator ehehehehe

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: September 14, 2014, 09:55:14 PM »
Blackface for nerds

Srsly though, terrible show. Doesn't even get its nerd facts right. I try to watch and they fuck up a Super Mario 64 reference. What shits.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Ghost of V

« Reply #717 on: September 14, 2014, 09:56:33 PM »

I'm not. I want the exact opposite of that.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: September 14, 2014, 10:33:07 PM »

Shallow and thoughtless character development? Then The Big Bang Theory is perfect for you! :^)))
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Ghost of V

« Reply #719 on: September 14, 2014, 10:44:25 PM »

Shallow and thoughtless character development? Then The Big Bang Theory is perfect for you! :^)))
I would like Sheldon to be the same character he was when they first started the show. Ambiguously asexual, eccentric, neurotic, and somewhat chauvinistic at times. It was very funny. They introduced Amy and toned down his character x100. Now we get to watch Sheldon, the Jewish guy, and every other damn character bicker with their girlfriends/wives, with the occasional "aweeeeee so cute they totally love each other" moment.  Maybe I was spoiled by the masterwork that is Seinfeld, because I usually hold most sitcoms to that standard of excellence. Foolish, I know.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 11:40:55 PM by Vauxhall »