Saddam Hussein

Re: Just Watched
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2014, 01:11:07 PM »
Hulk was actually pretty good. Ironman 3 was terrible. I liked Thor 2 more than the first; it felt like a more compelling story.

Why do people hate IM3 so much?

I think it's because of the infamous little fakeout that they pulled with the Mandarin.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2014, 01:51:40 AM »
I thought it was hysterical.  Ben Kingsley killed in that role.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2014, 02:42:51 AM »
Hulk was actually pretty good. Ironman 3 was terrible. I liked Thor 2 more than the first; it felt like a more compelling story.

I think it's because of the infamous little fakeout that they pulled with the Mandarin.

I always thought that was one of the best parts of the film.

Ghost of V

« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2014, 03:22:39 AM »
Just watched Castle. And yeah I have been drinking.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2014, 03:29:56 AM »

I always thought that was one of the best parts of the film.

Well, I think that the Mandarin would have made for a far better villain than Generic Corporate Douchebag #7734.  Especially seeing how the previous two movies had already given us generic corporate douchebags as villains.

« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2014, 03:32:49 AM »
Just watched Free to Play, the documentary about professional Dota 2 players made by Valve. It was pretty good for a doco made by a game developer. Little bit too short, and some parts of it felt like they were throwing way too much content at you too quickly. But otherwise, it was a pretty compelling view of what professional players go through to compete. The source film maker shots were great as well, especially the final Dendi play with Puck.

Rama Set

« Reply #106 on: April 09, 2014, 05:43:51 PM »
Blackfish- A documentary about the plight of orcas in captivity mostly at Seaworld in Orlando, FL.  Surprisingly moving and at points downright shocking.  I highly recommend it.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 09, 2014, 06:00:31 PM »
Blackfish- A documentary about the plight of orcas in captivity mostly at Seaworld in Orlando, FL.  Surprisingly moving and at points downright shocking.  I highly recommend it.
I read a pretty great unbiased article on how the movie basically relies on an appeal to emotion, assumptions, and people who are not real animal behavioralists.

I don't want to watch it for those reasons. I feel like it's probably going to be some truths mixed in with a lot of untruths in the fashion of PETA.

Rama Set

« Reply #108 on: April 09, 2014, 06:44:47 PM »
One of the key people interviewed is a whale researcher who testified in the successful suit against Seaworld (who incidentally is careful to say they can draw no certain conclusions from the attacks of the primary whale featured), and then trainers who worked and in a lot of cases witnessed the attacks.  To be sure, Seaworld has often not been forthright, and often demonstrably lied, in a lot of important ways.  That being said, there is also a strong appeal to emotion.  Does not bother me at all and it is a good watch.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 09, 2014, 07:05:40 PM »
One of the key people interviewed is a whale researcher who testified in the successful suit against Seaworld (who incidentally is careful to say they can draw no certain conclusions from the attacks of the primary whale featured), and then trainers who worked and in a lot of cases witnessed the attacks.  To be sure, Seaworld has often not been forthright, and often demonstrably lied, in a lot of important ways.  That being said, there is also a strong appeal to emotion.  Does not bother me at all and it is a good watch.
Yeah, it makes sense that Seaworld would lie. I'm sure they do questionable things, the article was not biased toward either side, like I mentioned. What is scary is that I don't think you have to have much experience or that much training before getting into a tank with the animals. But the article made a great point of how the movie portrays the orcas as fun-loving peaceful animals when in the wild, (which is a nice fantasy). But they also mentioned how the movie was hypocritical in glorifying orcas in the wild when it suits them but also showing them as vicious predators when it suited them.

My qualm with appealing to emotion is that they will forego accuracy and facts in lieu of just getting a reaction from people. It's what PETA does and I hate it. Any documentary that goes that route I automatically dislike it. It's a good tactic to get people invested in a cause without promoting any skepticism so then you get a lot of people up-in-arms without doing any research.

Rama Set

« Reply #110 on: April 09, 2014, 07:22:58 PM »
But the article made a great point of how the movie portrays the orcas as fun-loving peaceful animals when in the wild, (which is a nice fantasy). But they also mentioned how the movie was hypocritical in glorifying orcas in the wild when it suits them but also showing them as vicious predators when it suited them.

Thats not really true.  The doc points out that attacks in the wild on humans by orcas is almost entirely unheard of and that orcas are extremely social animals that likely have as strong if not stronger emotional lives than humans do.  They also show orcas mercilessly hunting seals, so any construing of the films portrayal of orcas as merely fun-loving animals is not really accurate.

My qualm with appealing to emotion is that they will forego accuracy and facts in lieu of just getting a reaction from people. It's what PETA does and I hate it. Any documentary that goes that route I automatically dislike it. It's a good tactic to get people invested in a cause without promoting any skepticism so then you get a lot of people up-in-arms without doing any research.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2014, 07:43:11 PM »
But the article made a great point of how the movie portrays the orcas as fun-loving peaceful animals when in the wild, (which is a nice fantasy). But they also mentioned how the movie was hypocritical in glorifying orcas in the wild when it suits them but also showing them as vicious predators when it suited them.

Thats not really true.  The doc points out that attacks in the wild on humans by orcas is almost entirely unheard of and that orcas are extremely social animals that likely have as strong if not stronger emotional lives than humans do.  They also show orcas mercilessly hunting seals, so any construing of the films portrayal of orcas as merely fun-loving animals is not really accurate.
That's not dismissing what I said, the context of those 2 aspects is important. I can't pick it apart more than that, but let me just link you to the article.

http://melissaasmith.hubpages.com/hub/blackfish-film

Ghost of V

« Reply #112 on: April 09, 2014, 07:44:23 PM »

That's not dismissing what I said, the context of those 2 aspects is important. I can't pick it apart more than that, but let me just link you to the article.

So you're basing your opinion on a backwoods internet article? Shouldn't you just watch the documentary yourself?

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 09, 2014, 08:21:56 PM »

So you're basing your opinion on a backwoods internet article? Shouldn't you just watch the documentary yourself?
There are a lot of articles that say exactly the same things. Why would I want to watch people being attacked by orcas?

I'm not saying it's all fabricated lies, I rather just research it myself than watch a movie length PETA ad.

Rama Set

« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2014, 08:27:48 PM »

There are a lot of articles that say exactly the same things. Why would I want to watch people being attacked by orcas?

I'm not saying it's all fabricated lies, I rather just research it myself than watch a movie length PETA ad.

Well you seem to have made up your mind that that is what it is, but if I may, its not.  Its greyer than people make it out to be. 

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 09, 2014, 08:35:23 PM »

Well you seem to have made up your mind that that is what it is, but if I may, its not.  Its greyer than people make it out to be. 
I just said I wasn't saying that. My only point is that it's not the full truth; that my only qualm with it is that it makes pretty bold statements and portrays everything in a way that gets people emotionally involved in something that's not necessarily true. It's why I dislike documentaries that try and rally people behind a cause.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2014, 08:44:34 PM »
troll hunter

Deliciously tongue-in-cheek mockumentary in the style of Blair witch.. I got a few of the references but I'm sure there were more subtle nods to nordic folklore than I know - even with Humon Comic's tutoring.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2014, 08:53:23 PM »
troll hunter

Deliciously tongue-in-cheek mockumentary in the style of Blair witch.. I got a few of the references but I'm sure there were more subtle nods to nordic folklore than I know - even with Humon Comic's tutoring.
I couldn't pick up on much of the folklore, but I loved it.

Ghost of V

« Reply #118 on: April 09, 2014, 08:57:20 PM »

You mean, you'd rather have someone else research it than research it yourself.

Researching the documentary yourself would require you actually watching it.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 09, 2014, 09:00:18 PM »
troll hunter

I couldn't pick up on much of the folklore, but I loved it.

I got the billy goats gruff, the food eating contest, the big noses, the hall of the mountain king, turning to stone in sunlight, living under bridges.