Rama Set

Re: Trump
« Reply #8120 on: January 07, 2021, 11:12:32 AM »
Even Trump inciting sedition couldn't stop him from losing.  Incredible.

I’ve never been a big fan of the idea of systemic racism, but seeing this mostly white mob get away with this and then comparing it to the BLM riots is making it very difficult to deny.

I didn't see any of them throwing molotov cocktails, burning down random buildings, or looting Foot Locker for some fresh Jordans because muh oppression.

Just planting pipe bombs, right?  So because another group did something bad it's totally ok for Magahats to storm the Capitol Building?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 01:52:34 PM by Rama Set »

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8121 on: January 07, 2021, 12:14:28 PM »
Good speech from Mitt Romney

Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #8122 on: January 07, 2021, 01:47:40 PM »
lol at anyone dumb enough to believe this Democrat stunt

If you tried to force your way into the country's capitol building on a normal weekday with a group of people do you think you could do it without all of you getting totally massacred?

Tom, looks like you were right about yesterday's mess being a political stunt... just looks like you were wrong about who was complicit...

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #8123 on: January 07, 2021, 02:13:11 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/07/mick-mulvaney-resigns-from-trump-administration-expects-others-to-follow.html

"We didn't sign up for what happened yesterday."

lol, Republicans can be so naive, can't they?
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Rama Set

« Reply #8124 on: January 07, 2021, 02:19:37 PM »
They spent so long denying the fire that Trump was stoking that they weren't able to fathom they might be wrong.  It's the same with the election fraud support.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #8125 on: January 07, 2021, 02:33:15 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/07/trump-says-there-will-be-an-orderly-transition-of-power.html

Meanwhile, apparently even Trump was so shocked and horrified by the violence he stoked yesterday that it's snapped him into half-heartedly agreeing to a peaceful transition of power. So positive result, I guess.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8126 on: January 07, 2021, 02:36:03 PM »
Surely yesterday's events kill off any prospect of him running in 2024. Maybe as an independent but surely the Republicans wouldn't touch him again?
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #8127 on: January 07, 2021, 02:54:59 PM »
Surely yesterday's events kill off any prospect of him running in 2024. Maybe as an independent but surely the Republicans wouldn't touch him again?

I'm not taking anything for granted after the last four years. I do think that the creation of a MAGA party independent of the Republicans has been something that's been potentially building for some time. If that happened, my God, what a beautiful thing it would be.

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8128 on: January 07, 2021, 03:42:54 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/07/trump-says-there-will-be-an-orderly-transition-of-power.html

Meanwhile, apparently even Trump was so shocked and horrified by the violence he stoked yesterday that it's snapped him into half-heartedly agreeing to a peaceful transition of power. So positive result, I guess.

Yeah it's something but without Trump admitting that he lost it's not all that helpful.

That's the root of the problem.  If you truly before that the government is being overthrown in an illegitimate coup then you sort of have a responsibility to act.  Most of these rioters don't have the expertise to judge if an election was carried out fairly or not.  They rely on their political leaders to sum it up for them.  And when Trump constantly tells them it's rigged and a large part of congressional republicans don't correct him then this is what you get.

Offline Dr Van Nostrand

• There may be something to this 'Matrix' stuff...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8129 on: January 07, 2021, 03:46:41 PM »

I thought the same thing in 2012 when he made an idiot of himself over Obama's birth certificate.
Round Earther patiently looking for a better deal...

If the world is flat, it means that I have been deceived by a global, multi-generational conspiracy spending trillions of dollars over hundreds of years.
If the world is round, it means that you’re just an idiot who believes stupid crap on the internet.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8130 on: January 07, 2021, 03:57:08 PM »

I thought the same thing in 2012 when he made an idiot of himself over Obama's birth certificate.

Ha. Fair point. Although surely a sitting president inciting a riot which disrupts the process of certifying the election results and then releasing a video telling people to go home...while repeating the lies which incited it in the first place. That's different level stuff.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8131 on: January 07, 2021, 04:14:19 PM »

Yeah it's something but without Trump admitting that he lost it's not all that helpful.

That's the root of the problem.  If you truly before that the government is being overthrown in an illegitimate coup then you sort of have a responsibility to act.  Most of these rioters don't have the expertise to judge if an election was carried out fairly or not.  They rely on their political leaders to sum it up for them.  And when Trump constantly tells them it's rigged and a large part of congressional republicans don't correct him then this is what you get.
Right. Exactly this.

The concession speech isn't mandated anywhere but it's where the defeated candidate traditionally congratulates the winner and stands down his supporters by urging them to unite behind the new president. That hasn't happened. And, worse, he's continued to claim that he won but the election was stolen from him (and thus from his supporters, who inexplicably continue to hang on his every word).
It's left a troubling percentage of the population feeling like they've been cheated. They haven't of course, but they feel they have and yesterday that all spilled over. It probably won't be the last time.

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8132 on: January 07, 2021, 04:26:38 PM »
Indeed.  The seeds of something terrible have been planted here.

Rama Set

« Reply #8133 on: January 07, 2021, 04:32:50 PM »

This video highlights the utter failure of Capitol Police.  The difference between the Law Enforcement presence and response at this event vs the BLM protest on June 1st is startling.

« Reply #8134 on: January 07, 2021, 04:54:49 PM »

Right. Exactly this.

The concession speech isn't mandated anywhere but it's where the defeated candidate traditionally congratulates the winner and stands down his supporters by urging them to unite behind the new president. That hasn't happened. And, worse, he's continued to claim that he won but the election was stolen from him (and thus from his supporters, who inexplicably continue to hang on his every word).
It's left a troubling percentage of the population feeling like they've been cheated. They haven't of course, but they feel they have and yesterday that all spilled over. It probably won't be the last time.

This is how its done.

Notice the reaction of the crowd when Bush says they are going to get behind the next President and wish him well. America was always great. It only stopped being great when Trump took office

Trump has poisoned the populous to such a great extent it could be generations before you even get a chance to become a 'United States' again. You are more like the 'Divided States'. Thanks Trump ::)

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #8135 on: January 07, 2021, 04:55:33 PM »

This video highlights the utter failure of Capitol Police.  The difference between the Law Enforcement presence and response at this event vs the BLM protest on June 1st is startling.

I would suggest that the police on duty at the time did about as much as could be expected. The utter failure is at higher levels in what can only be interpreted as an intentional unwillingness to provide enough police presence to make a difference.

The difference in presence at the start of the mess yesterday compared to peaceful BLM protests, anti-war protests in 2007, people with disabilities protesting for better healthcare (I don't know what year) is completely shameful.

Peaceful BLM protesters near the WH were met with police brutality and these i-dont-know-what-to-call-them were met with a shell of uniform officers who could do little more than take fucking selfies and give up their riot shields to protesters who then used them to break windows and trespass in government offices...

« Reply #8136 on: January 07, 2021, 05:02:16 PM »
I would suggest that the police on duty at the time did about as much as could be expected. The utter failure is at higher levels in what can only be interpreted as an intentional unwillingness to provide enough police presence to make a difference.

In undeserved defense, they probably thought that these people supported the party of 'law and order' and would never do anything like mount an insurrection, siege the capitol building, vandalize the offices, trash the building, plant pipe bombs and spill blood

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8137 on: January 07, 2021, 05:42:39 PM »
lol at anyone dumb enough to believe this Democrat stunt

If you tried to force your way into the country's capitol building on a normal weekday with a group of people do you think you could do it without all of you getting totally massacred?

Tom, looks like you were right about yesterday's mess being a political stunt... just looks like you were wrong about who was complicit...

He has several democrats he answers to and works with. The mayor Muriel Bowser and the district chief of police Robert Contee.

The mayor gave a statement with her team and implied that they though they did a great job:

https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/d-c-mayor-muriel-bowser-press-conference-on-capitol-protests-transcript-january-6

Washington, D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser held a press conference on January 6 to address the violent protests at the Capitol. She discussed a citywide curfew “beginning at 6:00 PM this evening, going until 6:00 AM tomorrow morning.” Read the transcript of the briefing here.

Muriel Bowser: (00:04)
Good afternoon. I’m Muriel Bowser. I’m the mayor of Washington DC. I am here at the headquarters of DC’s Metropolitan Police Department, where we are operating our emergency command center. I’m joined by the district’s Chief of Police, Robert Contee. I’m joined by members of my public safety team. I’m also joined by the Secretary of the Army, Mr. McCarthy.

https://ballotpedia.org/Muriel_Bowser

https://www.newsbreak.com/district-of-columbia/washington/news/2131076334110/mayor-bowser-names-robert-contee-as-metropolitan-police-department-chief-of-police

https://Robert Conteegeorgetowner.com/articles/2020/12/23/bowser-names-robert-contee-new-chief-of-police/

Bowser telling police to do things:

« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 06:08:48 PM by Tom Bishop »

Rama Set

« Reply #8138 on: January 07, 2021, 05:47:54 PM »

In undeserved defense, they probably thought that these people supported the party of 'law and order' and would never do anything like mount an insurrection, siege the capitol building, vandalize the offices, trash the building, plant pipe bombs and spill blood

It’s a nice thought except for groups like the Proud Boys had already said they would do something like this and I am sure the surveillance of Parler would yield similar results.

That there wasn’t even extra forces in ready reserve speaks to how shamefully bad their response was.

I partially agree. The time for the boots on the ground police to do something was as the mob began to arrive. Set the tone that they wouldn’t take any shit once they got closer to the building, they would be in a different state.  Also, taking selfies with terrorists afterwards and passing out water maybe sent the wrong message to a bunch of fucks who committed criminal sedition.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8139 on: January 07, 2021, 06:01:03 PM »
Superior to Chief of Police is the Mayor:

https://books.google.com/books?id=KEYqAAAAMAAJ&lpg=PA30&ots=WaIeYTIe1K&pg=PA30#v=onepage&q&f=false

Mayor is a Law Enforcement Officer:

https://www.cantonrep.com/article/20130808/News/308089899

Mayors double as law enforcement officers

MAYORAL POWERS

“They have all kinds of duties,” Susan M. Cave, executive director of the Ohio Municipal League, said about a mayor’s powers.

“They have public safety duties. They have public service duties. They have administrative duties and appointment powers. There’s a variety of powers and duties. They are fairly broad.”

According to Revised Code, a mayor is the “chief conservator of the peace” and, as such, is also considered a “law enforcement officer.” However, that title does not necessarily carry with it the same powers as a “peace officer.”

“The mayor is in a different capacity,” said Robert A. Cornwell, executive director of the Buckeye State Sheriffs’ Association. “He’s not just you or I, because of his position as mayor. He is an elected official and he is a law enforcement officer. It is a very broad, generic, all-inclusive title.”