Offline AATW

• View Profile
Re: Are the American police out of control?
« Reply #140 on: June 15, 2020, 03:29:28 PM »
Gotta say, I'm pretty much with lackey on this one.
You take a taser off a policeman and then point it at him as you're running away, you're kinda asking to be shot.
Which isn't to say that there isn't a problem with police brutality in the US, there is, but this isn't really an example of it, IMO.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 15, 2020, 03:29:40 PM »
Nonsense, taking a taser from a police officer is misuse and pointing it at the police is just stupid.

Neither merit a summary execution without due process.  Especially when the officers had just given the victim a "field sobriety test", which he failed. So they already KNEW he wasn't at his best.

EDIT The officer who shot the victim has been fired, his partner reduced to admin, and the police chief has resigned. 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 05:00:02 PM by Tumeni »
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

totallackey

« Reply #142 on: June 16, 2020, 11:18:52 AM »
Nonsense, taking a taser from a police officer is misuse and pointing it at the police is just stupid.

Neither merit a summary execution without due process.  Especially when the officers had just given the victim a "field sobriety test", which he failed. So they already KNEW he wasn't at his best.

EDIT The officer who shot the victim has been fired, his partner reduced to admin, and the police chief has resigned.
Summary execution my ass.

You steal a taser from a cop, you are going to get shot at.

No jury necessary to rule if it was okay or not.

Rama Set

« Reply #143 on: June 16, 2020, 11:54:35 AM »

Because fuck the constitution, right?

totallackey

« Reply #144 on: June 16, 2020, 11:59:41 AM »

Because fuck the constitution, right?
The only fucking of the US Constitution in this case was performed by:

A. The guy who was driving under the influence;

II. Decided to sleep it off in the drive thru lane of a popular local eatery;

3. Stole a taser from a cop;

d. Fled from the police and then pointed said taser at the police.

Further fucking of the Constitution is, of course, being attempted by people of your ilk, but it will not be successful.

Rama Set

« Reply #145 on: June 16, 2020, 07:54:42 PM »

Further fucking of the Constitution is, of course, being attempted by people of your ilk, but it will not be successful.

Because fuck due process right? Just kill criminals!  That's totally entrenched in the constitution  ::)

Offline timterroo

• domo arigato gozaimashita
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 16, 2020, 09:18:22 PM »
The officer should not have discharged his weapon. This was a situation where officers are trained NOT to shoot.

Edit:

And I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the mentality should NOT be, “do as I say, or I’ll shoot”.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 09:54:25 PM by timterroo »
"noche te ipsum"

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."  - Albert Einstein

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 16, 2020, 11:04:43 PM »
Some of y'all really don't value human life, huh? Even if a cop was tasered, it's not a reason to murder someone ffs

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 16, 2020, 11:13:37 PM »
Summary execution my ass. You steal a taser from a cop, you are going to get shot at. No jury necessary to rule if it was okay or not.

Do I need to restate that the shooting officer has been fired, and the chief of police resigned?

Nearly?

totallackey

« Reply #149 on: June 17, 2020, 10:05:37 AM »
The officer should not have discharged his weapon. This was a situation where officers are trained NOT to shoot.

Edit:

And I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the mentality should NOT be, “do as I say, or I’ll shoot”.
I doubt you have any clue as to what situations an officer is trained to shoot.

Nor the mentality it takes to be a police officer.

totallackey

« Reply #150 on: June 17, 2020, 10:06:19 AM »
Some of y'all really don't value human life, huh? Even if a cop was tasered, it's not a reason to murder someone ffs
Good thing no one was murdered.

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 17, 2020, 10:25:25 AM »
I'm not all that shocked that Totallackey would be in the mindset that it was all well and good to kill someone for running away with your non-lethal weapon. Yes the drunk guy who managed to take the taser and get away from two officers was stupid for doing that but the situation didn't call for an execution.

Part of the problem is probably how they were trained and what mentality they have... There are a lot of clear cut cases of officers being on power trips and having egos that when bruised result in unlawful action from said officers. Every single officer absolutely cannot have these problems. No one should be able to become an officer of the law if that is how they think and act. IMO in the situation above, the officer shot the guy because the officer was losing control of the situation, not because he felt like he was in mortal danger.

With that said if you're stupid enough to take an officers weapon and run after being drunk driving then I'm not going to get bent of shape when you get yourself killed. Both the officer and the drunken guy were acting stupidly in the moment.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 10:27:07 AM by ChrisTP »
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

totallackey

« Reply #152 on: June 17, 2020, 12:13:31 PM »
I'm not all that shocked that Totallackey would be in the mindset that it was all well and good to kill someone for running away with your non-lethal weapon. Yes the drunk guy who managed to take the taser and get away from two officers was stupid for doing that but the situation didn't call for an execution.
And I am not shocked you find it okay to claim I said it was okay to kill anyone.

I stated it was okay for the cop to shoot the shitbag.

It just so happens that if you get shot, you have a chance of dying.

I am also not shocked you would be okay with a drunk guy running around with a taser.

I am also not surprised at your inability to ask yourself, "What happens if the fine young, intelligent, reasoned individual, who was already drunk, already illegally driving under the influence, already illegally sleeping it off in a fast-food restaurant drive-thru, already non-cooperative, already trying to decide what is right while drunk, takes the taser, incapacitates one or more officers with the taser and then takes control of the service revolver or Remington 870 shotgun located in the vehicle?"

Maybe it is not an inability on your part to ask such a question...perhaps it is just you thinking everything is just hunky dory with shitbags such as these... 

Part of the problem is probably how they were trained and what mentality they have... There are a lot of clear cut cases of officers being on power trips and having egos that when bruised result in unlawful action from said officers. Every single officer absolutely cannot have these problems. No one should be able to become an officer of the law if that is how they think and act. IMO in the situation above, the officer shot the guy because the officer was losing control of the situation, not because he felt like he was in mortal danger.
Once a suspect is able to gain control over a piece of equipment, then yes...not only was the officer's life in danger but so were the lives of many other people.

But it is okay...driving under the influence doesn't count as endangering lives in your book either...
With that said if you're stupid enough to take an officers weapon and run after being drunk driving then I'm not going to get bent of shape when you get yourself killed. Both the officer and the drunken guy were acting stupidly in the moment.
I struck out the only part of your last point that made no sense whatsoever.

totallackey

« Reply #153 on: June 17, 2020, 12:18:31 PM »

Because fuck due process right? Just kill criminals!  That's totally entrenched in the constitution  ::)
Due process is the part that involves a court.

Lemme know when you want to talk about a court case and we will discuss it further.

Right now, this is about a shitbag who thought it was fine to take a taser from a cop and, according to Darwin, got his due as part of the entire process.

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 17, 2020, 12:34:00 PM »
But it is okay...driving under the influence doesn't count as endangering lives in your book either...
It's obvious that it is endangering lives to drive under the influence, I never said it wasn't. Don't put words in my mouth. Even so, he wasn't shot for drink driving, was he? What's that got to do with anything.

Ok so your argument here is he had the potential to take more lethal weapons from the officers and so it was justified to shoot him? Minority Report is a fine movie for sure but in reality if he hasn't taken your shotgun you can't shoot him for taking your shotgun.
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

totallackey

« Reply #155 on: June 17, 2020, 12:43:03 PM »
It's obvious that it is endangering lives to drive under the influence, I never said it wasn't. Don't put words in my mouth. Even so, he wasn't shot for drink driving, was he? What's that got to do with anything.

Ok so your argument here is he had the potential to take more lethal weapons from the officers and so it was justified to shoot him? Minority Report is a fine movie for sure but in reality if he hasn't taken your shotgun you can't shoot him for taking your shotgun.
No.

He wasn't shot for drinking and driving.

You can shoot him if he poses a risk to the lives of yourself and others.

A person who has stolen a tactical stun device from a police officer and subsequently flees from custody while attempting to use it on the police falls into that category whether you like it or not and you do not need a "Minority Report," movie to get a clue as to whether or not that is true.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 01:08:55 PM by totallackey »

Offline timterroo

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 17, 2020, 02:56:43 PM »

Edit:

And I've said it before and I'll say it again, the mentality should NOT be, "do as I say, or I'll shoot".

https://nypost.com/2020/06/15/cops-bullet-hit-familys-car-inside-in-rayshard-brooks-shooting-lawyer/

One of the bullets fired by the officer hit Rayshard's wife's car where there were children in the car. Tell me this is a situation where the cop is trained to shoot - when a family is immediately in line of fire? The officer not only killed Rayshard, he could have easily injured or killed Rayshard's wife or one of his four children. Police officers ARE TRAINED to NOT do this!

Furthermore, the officer had been previously disciplined for discharging his weapon when he should not have - further evidence that this officer was not trained properly.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 03:13:41 PM by timterroo »
"noche te ipsum"

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 17, 2020, 03:35:06 PM »
"What happens if the fine young, intelligent, reasoned individual, who was already drunk, already illegally driving under the influence, already illegally sleeping it off in a fast-food restaurant drive-thru, already non-cooperative, already trying to decide what is right while drunk, takes the taser, incapacitates one or more officers with the taser and then takes control of the service revolver or Remington 870 shotgun located in the vehicle?"

Did you miss the part where the victim was seen to be running AWAY from the police, and from their vehicles? Strikes me that the more distance there is between him and the vehicles, the harder it is to get something from the vehicles. And if you're running away from the officers, there is also difficulty in grabbing anything from their person.

He clearly wanted to simply get away from the police. That's it. No apparent harmful intent toward others, no apparent harmful intent toward the police, until they escalated the situation. Just wanted to get away. Can't say I blame him, given the amount of harm that they are causing to the citizens of the USA at the moment....

Nearly?

Offline timterroo

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 17, 2020, 03:43:10 PM »
He clearly wanted to simply get away from the police. That's it. No apparent harmful intent toward others, no apparent harmful intent toward the police, until they escalated the situation. Just wanted to get away. Can't say I blame him, given the amount of harm that they are causing to the citizens of the USA at the moment....

I don't want to give justification for the actions of anyone here, but if you really empathize with the black community, it isn't hard to imagine that Rayshard turned around and pointed the taser at the officer because he actually felt HIS life was in danger - as such, the turning around with the taser was in self-defense (in his head).
"noche te ipsum"

Rama Set

« Reply #159 on: June 17, 2020, 06:49:53 PM »

Due process is the part that involves a court.

No shit.

Lemme know when you want to talk about a court case and we will discuss it further.

Well, he is dead.  The police deprived him of due process by killing him.

And I am not shocked you find it okay to claim I said it was okay to kill anyone.

Right now, this is about a shitbag who thought it was fine to take a taser from a cop and, according to Darwin, got his due as part of the entire process.

You certainly seem ok with this guy being killed.  But hey maybe you totally meant something else.