Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: ISIS and the Middle East
« Reply #260 on: August 25, 2014, 01:21:45 AM »
Your argument fails, because I am one person. I just mentioned the majority of the Muslim world and the people living in it. Lets see, one person<the majority of the Muslim world. How does that work, hmmm? Quit making excuses for people who want you and me dead as door-nails.

I think the problem is the region, not the religion. The middle east had very stable and proper countries for quite some time until Europe began having a more active, how can I say it... "relation" with them. Their extremism isn't due to being Muslim, it's due to being in a prolonged state of conflict.

And I'm not making excuses for them, I'm stating that your opinion of Muslims as a whole is simply uncalled for and quite frankly I think you're crazy as balls.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 25, 2014, 01:27:32 AM »
It seems to me that the current state of the Middle East can probably be tied to the collapse of the Ottoman Empire after WWI in the same way that feudal Europe was a result of the collapse of Rome. Without a strong, centralized government one can expect the formation of small, localized governments ruled by whoever has the biggest biceps. And in such a society, one can expect the guy with the big biceps to use radical religion as an excuse to keep down the peasants.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #262 on: August 25, 2014, 01:30:05 AM »
I'm not crazy at all. I'm a fucking realist. Anybody else is an idealist. This turn the other cheek shit gets you nothing except bruises on both sides of your face. The Muslims hit you, you hit them back, HARD! Its that fucking simple. They have been asking for it since 1948. Its time to pay the bastards back in spades.

Ghost of V

« Reply #263 on: August 25, 2014, 01:30:19 AM »
Oh this is an atheism thread now.  Cool.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #264 on: August 25, 2014, 01:31:48 AM »
I'm not even going to respond to that. I have already gone down the atheism thread at length. God exists, atheism is stupid, end of story. Ka-ching, thank you for playing!

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 25, 2014, 01:31:59 AM »
I'm not crazy at all. I'm a fucking realist. Anybody else is an idealist.

Everybody except for you is an idealist?

Ka-ching, thank you for playing!

What is this "ka-ching" business all about? It sounds like a cash register opening. Maybe Saddam's theory that you're just a retardedly elaborate fictional character created to satirize stereotypical Jews isn't as crazy as I thought.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 01:36:33 AM by Alexandyr »
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #266 on: August 25, 2014, 01:33:03 AM »
Yes. Anybody who believes that one can interact with Muslims on anything less than a war footing is an idealist, and verges on being an idiot.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 25, 2014, 01:34:33 AM »
Yes. Anybody who believes that one can interact with Muslims on anything less than a war footing is an idealist, and verges on being an idiot.

I haven't been so amused by a character troll since the early days of New Earth

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 25, 2014, 01:36:04 AM »
I'm not crazy at all. I'm a fucking realist. Anybody else is an idealist.

Everybody except for you is an idealist?
Yes.

Epic.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #269 on: August 25, 2014, 01:37:13 AM »
ALEXANDYR, you took me out of context, as you would need my entire answer to understand what I said.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: August 25, 2014, 01:38:09 AM »
That's only barely true

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 25, 2014, 01:40:03 AM »
You know what would be awesome is like a debate between Yaakov, Levee, and November. I would pay to see it. War of the nutters.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 25, 2014, 01:42:14 AM »
Three is a nice balanced number, but I would really like to see New Earth make a return and enter the ring as well. Aren't Levee and November Muslim?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 25, 2014, 01:43:44 AM »
Maybe New Earth, Yaakov, and November. I did really hate scrolling through Levee's posts.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 25, 2014, 01:43:59 AM »
You can't have a mad cat fight without James

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 25, 2014, 01:46:05 AM »
You can't have a mad cat fight without James

How could I forget? I'm not exaggerating when I say that James is/was my favorite poster of all time. Those zetetically obtained duck pictures...

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 25, 2014, 01:46:47 AM »
Alright, alright back to the topic at hand. I found a pretty graphic that explains the Middle East fairly well.

No one is friends with ISIS. :(

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #277 on: August 25, 2014, 01:47:49 AM »
Since I don't know either of the other two persons, I can't respond to that. I suspect it probably wouldn't be as interesting as you think, though. My passion is this subject. On any other subject, I am generally a very rational person. In fact, some time ago, some one asked me my opinion of the Israeli- "Palestinian" conflict, and I told them I wasn't the right person to ask, given my strong views on the subject.

My point being, your other two friends are probably motivated by totally different subjects than I am. What would be the point of a debate between people who have no mutual interests? How dull.

EDIT: Now, if they're Muslim, that could be a Cluster-Fuck. If they live in the Muslim World, there is nothing to debate about, though, because they are where they belong. If they are in Greater Israel or the West, that would be a different story. LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 25, 2014, 01:53:01 AM »
Since I don't know either of the other two persons, I can't respond to that. I suspect it probably wouldn't be as interesting as you think, though. My passion is this subject. On any other subject, I am generally a very rational person. In fact, some time ago, some one asked me my opinion of the Israeli- "Palestinian" conflict, and I told them I wasn't the right person to ask, given my strong views on the subject.

My point being, your other two friends are probably motivated by totally different subjects than I am. What would be the point of a debate between people who have no mutual interests? How dull.

EDIT: Now, if they're Muslim, that could be a Cluster-Fuck. If they live in the Muslim World, there is nothing to debate about, though, because they are where they belong. If they are in Greater Israel or the West, that would be a different story. LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Oh, they have very strong opinions on Zionism. Levee is convinced that Jews made up quite a lot of recent history, that the holocaust is fake, etc. November additionally believes nuclear weapons aren't real and are simply a ploy to advance their zionism in the name of stopping nuclear programs.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 25, 2014, 01:54:39 AM »

So you really don't think it matters what Arabs do or what happens to them, as long as they stay in what you believe to be their part of the world? This might be a bit too idealistic for you, but wouldn't it be better if conditions in the Middle East improved so people wouldn't feel the need to achieve their goals through violence? Terrorist organizations are almost always born from horrific environments. When groups of people are pushed to their breaking point and they feel they have no other recourse but violence, they're considered terrorists. I'm not defending ISIS, however. ISIS is terrible. But as long as we're using our imaginations to conjure up ridiculous scenarios (like confining a group comprising more than one billion people by force to a certain part of the world), why not create a more positive one?