no question
« on: November 02, 2015, 03:54:41 PM »
none

« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 02:51:50 PM by FE-Experiments »

Yes because stars are very far away. Some stars change slight in position due to earth's orbit. We can use this angle of change and the distance earth has moved to calculate the distance to these stars. The tecnique is called star parallax and only works on relative close stars, within a hundred light years.

Yes because stars are very far away. Some stars change slight in position due to earth's orbit. We can use this angle of change and the distance earth has moved to calculate the distance to these stars. The tecnique is called star parallax and only works on relative close stars, within a hundred light years.

Thank you for your answer, but this is not what I am asking.

You asked if star maps are 100% accurate when earth is on the other side if the sun. I answered yes. But the real 100% answer is of course no, the star maps are not 100% accurate. But the star parallax is so small and only detctable through telescopes, so the angle of change is neglectable.

You asked if star maps are 100% accurate when earth is on the other side if the sun. I answered yes. But the real 100% answer is of course no, the star maps are not 100% accurate. But the star parallax is so small and only detctable through telescopes, so the angle of change is neglectable.

How do you know that these star maps are '100 %' accurate?

As an amataur astronomer, I use star maps almost every day.

You probably misunderstood the question, but thanks for your opinion.

I have read your question many times now, and you ask very specific as I have interpreted:
Are star maps accurate throughout the year? And my experience is yes, star charts, as you call them, are accurate even tho earth has moved. And it's not just my opinion, ask any astronomer.

You probably misunderstood the question, but thanks for your opinion.

I have read your question many times now, and you ask very specific as I have interpreted:
Are star maps accurate throughout the year? And my experience is yes, star charts, as you call them, are accurate even tho earth has moved. And it's not just my opinion, ask any astronomer.

I know that you can see the stars throughout the year as shown on star maps, but that's not what I mean.
Let's see if other people understand it. Maybe Flat Earthers can, as they are not assuming all kind of things.
Thanks anyway!

Okay, sorry my background in astronomy could not help your astronomy related question. Maybe you should specify what you mean next time and stop wasting everyone's time. Hope you find some half dumb flat earther to answer your flat earth question with some half dumb flat earth "logic". I'm out!

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
Are star charts correct when the night sky faces a different part of the universe every six months?

This question is about all stars in the universe that are visible on earth.
I am looking for people who checked if the star charts Stellarium (and other sky maps) are showing (at the same location) on the 21st of December and the 21st of June are 100% accurate and consistent with all the movements of the spinning and flying tilted earth through space?
Please keep in mind that the night sky is facing a completely different part of the universe every six months.

I believe you will find that they are, but let's make this an experiment.

Download Stellarium (I will do the same) and let's look at the position of the stars tonight, November 2, 2015, at say 8pm.  Since we presumably live on different parts of the earth, our night skies will be a little different from each other, but as long as your copy of Stellarium (or your star chart, if you'd prefer to use one) accurately predicts your night sky tonight, we're good.

In six months (that is, May 2 2016), the night side of the earth should, as you say, face a different part of the universe.  Use stellarium to predict the position of the stars that night at a given time (probably choose a later time, say 9pm or later, since days are longer in May).  We can post results here, and then we will determine once and for all the answer to your question.

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
Are star charts correct when the night sky faces a different part of the universe every six months?

This question is about all stars in the universe that are visible on earth.
I am looking for people who checked if the star charts Stellarium (and other sky maps) are showing (at the same location) on the 21st of December and the 21st of June are 100% accurate and consistent with all the movements of the spinning and flying tilted earth through space?
Please keep in mind that the night sky is facing a completely different part of the universe every six months.

I believe you will find that they are, but let's make this an experiment.

Download Stellarium (I will do the same) and let's look at the position of the stars tonight, November 2, 2015, at say 8pm.  Since we presumably live on different parts of the earth, our night skies will be a little different from each other, but as long as your copy of Stellarium (or your star chart, if you'd prefer to use one) accurately predicts your night sky tonight, we're good.

In six months (that is, May 2 2016), the night side of the earth should, as you say, face a different part of the universe.  Use stellarium to predict the position of the stars that night at a given time (probably choose a later time, say 9pm or later, since days are longer in May).  We can post results here, and then we will determine once and for all the answer to your question.

Thanks, I downloaded the program already and will see if it would work.
Don't you think that it's weird that everything is working fine for the model of a tilted spinning and flying ball (and galaxies) without any inaccuracy or inconsistency? Do you still believe that the geocentric ball-model is incorrect?

No, because in this case the shape of earth doesn't matter.

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile

No, because in this case the shape of earth doesn't matter.

So, what is it that makes you believe that the earth is flat?

No, observation makes me believe the earth is flat.  Since star charts work either way, they have no bearing on my opinion.