How does the flat earth theory explain modern technology?
« on: November 28, 2018, 07:13:49 PM »
It's a very simple question. How do you explain the works of modern technology (for example how satellites work) from the perspective of a flat earth. I am interested in your answers even though I am what you might call a sheep.

Re: How does the flat earth theory explain modern technology?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 09:58:29 PM »
satellites orbit the earth the same way the sun does, just closer.

Offline JCM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 10:22:54 PM »

Those satellites are traveling at thousands of miles an hour, how are they staying aloft for years at time and how are those speeds possible?  Many FE believers say satellites can't exist as their presence and paths through the sky particularly the geostationary satellites are only possible on a spinning globular Earth. 

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 09:10:44 AM »

Those satellites are traveling at thousands of miles an hour, how are they staying aloft for years at time and how are those speeds possible?  Many FE believers say satellites can't exist as their presence and paths through the sky particularly the geostationary satellites are only possible on a spinning globular Earth.
It’s not just about speed, the way a satellite’s orbit works is they are effectively in constant freefall. The forces balance so no propulsion is required to keep them in orbit (I believe in real life occasional corrections are needed). If satellites were orbiting in a circle above a flat earth then aside from how they stay up they’d need constant propulsion to keep them moving in a circle. Changing direction is acceleration so that requires a force. Where is all that coming from?

That same question also applies to the sun and moon of course.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 04:47:44 PM »

It’s not just about speed, the way a satellite’s orbit works is they are effectively in constant freefall. The forces balance so no propulsion is required to keep them in orbit (I believe in real life occasional corrections are needed). If satellites were orbiting in a circle above a flat earth then aside from how they stay up they’d need constant propulsion to keep them moving in a circle. Changing direction is acceleration so that requires a force. Where is all that coming from?

That same question also applies to the sun and moon of course.

You can't look at it that way. For FE to be true physics must work totally different than we know it. In the FE model the sun and moon and whatnot stays up without being affected by the force that pulls everything down - however that works on a FE. So satellites might be unaffected as well.
I believe one can come up with an insanely complicated mathematical model and completely new physics to explain most of everyday pheonomena on a an actualy flat earth.

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 04:57:45 PM »
In order for satellites to work as described, Newtonian mechanics must be true.  Since we know Newtonian orbital mechanics cannot be true because it contains logical errors satellite technology must have an alternative explanation.  Sandokhan explains satellite technology with the Biefeld-Brown effect but I can't speak to that.

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 05:19:16 PM »
In order for satellites to work as described, Newtonian mechanics must be true.  Since we know Newtonian orbital mechanics cannot be true because it contains logical errors satellite technology must have an alternative explanation.  Sandokhan explains satellite technology with the Biefeld-Brown effect but I can't speak to that.
Elaborate in your own words please. I.E. Don't just quote Sandokhan. I know what he believes. I also tend to think he likes to pretend the last 20-50 years of science didn't happen. So, what logical errors do Newtonian orbital mechanics contain?

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 08:52:46 PM »
Elaborate in your own words please. I.E. Don't just quote Sandokhan. I know what he believes. I also tend to think he likes to pretend the last 20-50 years of science didn't happen. So, what logical errors do Newtonian orbital mechanics contain?
Objects move in the direction of the net force upon them.  In Newtonian mechanics a circular orbit is derived from a rectilinear centripetal force but in order for an object to describe a circular motion there must be a rotating centrifugal force vector in order for the net force on the object to be curvilinear.  You can't say that an initial tangential momentum will result in a curvilinear force when combined with a rectilinear centripetal force because the net force will still be rectilinear and towards the center of gravity meaning the object would spiral towards the center of its rotation.

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 09:21:17 PM »
Objects move in the direction of the net force upon them.  In Newtonian mechanics a circular orbit is derived from a rectilinear centripetal force but in order for an object to describe a circular motion there must be a rotating centrifugal force vector in order for the net force on the object to be curvilinear.  You can't say that an initial tangential momentum will result in a curvilinear force when combined with a rectilinear centripetal force because the net force will still be rectilinear and towards the center of gravity meaning the object would spiral towards the center of its rotation.
Not sure I see the logical error here. How does an orbit differ from say, swinging something from the end of a rope? There IS a rotating force vector upon an object in space, just like with the object at the end of the string. There's also a rotating velocity vector. Net force (to my knowledge) is *always* able to be described as essentially a straight line pointing in one directing from an object. So what would produce a 'curvilinear force' to begin with that you can't get it in an orbit?

Again, there's no logic error here that I'm seeing even in your explanation.

Offline RonJ

• ACTA NON VERBA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 10:19:28 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_cannonball

Just take a quick look at the link and it will answer all your concerns.
You can lead flat earthers to the curve but you can't make them think!

Offline edby

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 11:04:52 PM »
That’s a beautiful (and logical) description.

In this experiment from his book (p. 5-8), Newton visualizes a cannon on top of a very high mountain. If there were no forces of gravitation or air resistance, the cannonball should follow a straight line away from Earth, in the direction that it was fired. If a gravitational force acts on the cannonball, it will follow a different path depending on its initial velocity. If the speed is low, it will simply fall back on Earth.

If the speed is the orbital speed at that altitude, it will go on circling around the Earth along a fixed circular orbit, just like the Moon.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_cannonball

« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 11:07:17 PM by edby »

Offline RonJ

• ACTA NON VERBA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 12:55:40 AM »
https://www.space.com/17661-theory-general-relativity.html

If you really want to blow your mind just study what gravity does to space-time.  A satellite orbiting the earth really thinks it's just going thru space in a straight line.  Normally if you want to change your direction in space-time it would require a force.  If space-time itself is what is changing direction then no force is necessary to maintain an orbit. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 01:00:00 AM by RonJ »

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 02:08:17 AM »
https://www.space.com/17661-theory-general-relativity.html

If you really want to blow your mind just study what gravity does to space-time.  A satellite orbiting the earth really thinks it's just going thru space in a straight line.  Normally if you want to change your direction in space-time it would require a force.  If space-time itself is what is changing direction then no force is necessary to maintain an orbit.
But a rock just sitting there peacefully on the earth is going through a curved path in spacetime, ain't GR wonderful.

Offline RonJ

• ACTA NON VERBA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 02:14:52 AM »
With a rock you just wouldn't see too much because the reference systems are so close.  With a satellite there's a bigger difference.  It's just relative after all. 

LoveScience

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 12:18:58 PM »

Wrong answer I'm afraid.  The common centre of gravity for the Earth and satellites is well inside the volume of Earth itself due to the mass difference.  For the Sun and the Earth it lies inside the Sun for the very same reason.