A shape question about the FE
« on: January 11, 2019, 01:14:49 PM »
Hey guys! Since I understand what is the FE, I began to question about it. Here is a question that I can't resolve.
Is the Earth really flat just like a slice of paper or something like a plate (with some radians) ?
In addition, here are a dynamic picture I made with Cinema 4D. :)

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
Re: A shape question about the FE
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 04:09:39 PM »
According to the flat earth way of thinking, you cannot possibly know the shape, all that is known is that it's flat as far as we can individually see. I'm actually not entirely sure where the disk shape idea comes from.
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 11:24:45 AM »
I simply don't believe that the true shape of Flat Earth is unknowable.

We have seismic data which shows that the rate of propagation of seismic waves through the earth is not constant, but is deflected and delayed in various patterns.  The Round Earthers have interpreted this to mean there's a big, dense chunk of metal at the earth's core.  What does the FE community have to say about this?

Then, of course, there's the idea that you could just go out to the edge and launch a probe off or something, but I'm assuming that's off the table for now.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 11:46:27 AM »
Then, of course, there's the idea that you could just go out to the edge and launch a probe off or something, but I'm assuming that's off the table for now.
What makes you think there's an "edge"?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 12:02:21 PM »
As I said, it's beside the point, Pete.  The edge of the flat earth is a conversation better left to a separate thread.  Would you care to comment on the seismic thing?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 12:10:23 PM »
No - I do not comment or speculate on things I haven't investigated myself.

shootingstar

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 12:22:46 PM »
So what lies beyond the Ice Wall then..... more infinitely flat Earth?  Or have you not investigated that yourself yet?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 06:13:37 PM »
So what lies beyond the Ice Wall then..... more infinitely flat Earth?  Or have you not investigated that yourself yet?
You are expected to read the FAQ before posting here. If you can't do that, refrain from posting in the upper fora. You may have deleted your account after every warning you received, but that doesn't get you off the hook.

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 07:17:46 PM »

Shootingstar you have to understand that there are many flat earth models. Some have an ice wall with no dome and no firmament. Some have no ice wall, no dome, and no firmament. Some have an end/edge and some don't. There is very much some variation into the personal beliefs being each person's adoption of the different models.

The FAQ which has a very specific flat earth model say:

"To our knowledge, no one has been very far past the ice wall and returned to tell of their journey. What we do know is that it encircles the earth and serves to hold in our oceans and helps protect us from whatever lies beyond."

This is, by no means, a voice for the entire flat earth community. The beliefs range from:

1. There is a dome beyond the ice wall.
2. There is outer space beyond the ice wall.
3. There is a firmament beyond the ice wall.
4. You can't go to the ice wall because it is outside of the dome/firmament.
5. There is no ice wall.
6. The earth is an infinite plane which is beyond the ice wall.
7. No one knows what is beyond the ice wall.
8. Whatever lies beyond is beyond the ice wall.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 07:33:23 PM »

Shootingstar you have to understand that there are many flat earth models. Some have an ice wall with no dome and no firmament. Some have no ice wall, no dome, and no firmament. Some have an end/edge and some don't. There is very much some variation into the personal beliefs being each person's adoption of the different models.

The FAQ which has a very specific flat earth model say:

"To our knowledge, no one has been very far past the ice wall and returned to tell of their journey. What we do know is that it encircles the earth and serves to hold in our oceans and helps protect us from whatever lies beyond."

This is, by no means, a voice for the entire flat earth community. The beliefs range from:

1. There is a dome beyond the ice wall.
2. There is outer space beyond the ice wall.
3. There is a firmament beyond the ice wall.
4. You can't go to the ice wall because it is outside of the dome/firmament.
5. There is no ice wall.
6. The earth is an infinite plane which is beyond the ice wall.
7. No one knows what is beyond the ice wall.
8. Whatever lies beyond is beyond the ice wall.

If you  can write a short article specifying the views, and put it into the project forum, I am sure that no one will mind putting it in to clarify other viewpoints and possibilities.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 07:36:23 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline JCM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 08:09:20 PM »
What makes you think there's an "edge"?

There has to be an edge if flat, we know it can’t be infinite.  The stars show us that.  The star trails show us a lot more then a flat Earth needs an edge but one thing is for sure that the infinite plane idea is impossible to fit in with the most basic of celestial observation.

shootingstar

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 08:22:45 PM »
If you  can write a short article specifying the views, and put it into the project forum, I am sure that no one will mind putting it in to clarify other viewpoints and possibilities.

That is a work in progress which will be submitted in due course.  Already this thread has highlighted some of the many inconsistencies that exist in FET and that cannot be a good start.  However I will say no more about that right now and leave it for my forthcoming article.

You have to admit though iamcpc surely that your list posted above reads more like an author outlining possible ideas for a fantasy novel rather the basis for a real model.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 08:29:53 PM by shootingstar »

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 08:57:02 PM »

That is a work in progress which will be submitted in due course.  Already this thread has highlighted some of the many inconsistencies that exist in FET and that cannot be a good start.  However I will say no more about that right now and leave it for my forthcoming article.

You have to admit though iamcpc surely that your list posted above reads more like an author outlining possible ideas for a fantasy novel rather the basis for a real model.
With all those options how can anyone be sure the earth is flat?

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 09:06:39 PM »

Flat earthers have many times pointed out inconsistencies that exist in the RET.

Some flat earth models do very well explaining somethings but very poorly explaining others. The flat earth model i most relate to is the least accepted flat earth model.

Where you say fantasy novel I can say alternate theories about the possible shape/layout of the earth.

This is all based on personal opinion. Some people can stand on a beach, see a perfectly flat horizon as far as the eye can see, and be 100% sure the earth is flat.
Some people can find evidence of a camera put on a high altitude balloon showing a perfectly flat horizon as far as the balloon can see and be 100% sure the earth is flat.
Some people can hear about 200 proofs of a flat earth and be 100% sure the earth is flat.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 09:09:24 PM by iamcpc »

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 09:33:53 PM »

Flat earthers have many times pointed out inconsistencies that exist in the RET.

Some flat earth models do very well explaining somethings but very poorly explaining others. The flat earth model i most relate to is the least accepted flat earth model.

Where you say fantasy novel I can say alternate theories about the possible shape/layout of the earth.

This is all based on personal opinion. Some people can stand on a beach, see a perfectly flat horizon as far as the eye can see, and be 100% sure the earth is flat.
Some people can find evidence of a camera put on a high altitude balloon showing a perfectly flat horizon as far as the balloon can see and be 100% sure the earth is flat.
Some people can hear about 200 proofs of a flat earth and be 100% sure the earth is flat.
Yet ignore measurements, the path of the sun etc.?

shootingstar

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 09:44:46 PM »

Well come on then... give me a couple of examples.

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2019, 09:54:53 PM »

You could also look in my post history. I did. I copied and pasted the link for you.

https://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=11815.msg179345#msg179345

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2019, 10:04:36 PM »

You could also look in my post history. I did. I copied and pasted the link for you.

https://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=11815.msg179345#msg179345
Load of nonsense about railway lines.  Anything there about satellite broadcasting which we all use?  And the WGS-84 model?

shootingstar

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2019, 11:15:50 PM »
Not interested in videos. Especially 2 hour long videos. Got better things to do.  I just want a couple of real world examples from you that I can see from my own garden which proves to you at least that the Earth is not a globe.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 11:18:14 PM by shootingstar »

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2019, 11:26:23 PM »
Not interested in videos. Especially 2 hour long videos. Got better things to do.  I just want a couple of real world examples from you that I can see from my own garden which proves to you at least that the Earth is not a globe.

If you're not even willing to spend an hour or so reading the discussions here and the REAL evidence that weakens the round earth model then we have nothing else to discuss. I've never been to your garden.

Tom,

I think there is some benefit to outlining the different models. I thought there was benefit to discussing things that the different models do very well explaining and the things the different models struggle with. (like the flat disk model struggles with flight times/paths while the infinite repeating plane model struggles with the position of the stars)

I got a warning for my previous contributions to this thread so this will be my last reply.