Saddam Hussein

Re: Gateway Musicians
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2013, 06:23:17 AM »
Without The Clash's London Calling I may never have gotten over my opinion of punk music as nothing more than repetitive and amateurish; I now consider it my favorite genre of music.

London Calling is arguably more post-punk than punk itself.  I'm not entirely sure what that means, but I think it refers to the music being somewhat more complex and varied in its influences than traditional punk.

So, who's arguing that then?

Michael Jackson, of course.

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2013, 12:57:20 PM »
Led Zeppelin.  Physical Graffiti.

Also, The Who.  Quadrophenia.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2013, 09:25:39 PM »
Without The Clash's London Calling I may never have gotten over my opinion of punk music as nothing more than repetitive and amateurish; I now consider it my favorite genre of music.

London Calling is arguably more post-punk than punk itself.  I'm not entirely sure what that means, but I think it refers to the music being somewhat more complex and varied in its influences than traditional punk.

I can understand that, but if that's a thing it must be a relatively new one.  I've always heard it referred to as punk.

Of course you have.  Philistine.

Ghost of V

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2014, 12:37:13 AM »
The Smiths

bump

Eddy Baby

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2014, 09:21:13 AM »
Never really listened to music until I was about 11, when a friend of my mum's gave me a burn of Queen's Greatest Hits and David Bowie's Singles. Those two CDs were all I listened to for about a year. Then when I used to go and stay at my dad's place, he'd give me tapes to listen to, which I did from start to finish pretty much every night I was there. One tape had Metallica's S&M on, another had Pearl Jam's Ten on one side and Counting Crows' August and Everything After on the other. I didn't really 'get' Counting Crows at the time (not sure how, it's just pop basically), so I just listened to Metallica, culminating in me buying my first ever CD, Master of Puppets.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2014, 12:01:33 PM »
I no longer listen to it or anything remotely similar, but it was the first band I really "listened" to.

Same for me, but the band was Pink Floyd. I got into it largely due to an English teacher I had who was really big on them. The first time I ever listened to The Dark Side of the Moon in 2005 changed me forever.

Pink Floyd was not only my first "proper" introduction to music, but paved the way for discovering online communities as well. I joined the Pink Floyd Online forum in late-ish 2005, which ultimately resulted in me meeting the people who introduced me to FES. So really, you have The Dark Side of the Moon to thank for this forum's existence.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2014, 12:15:57 PM »
I no longer listen to it or anything remotely similar, but it was the first band I really "listened" to.

Same for me, but the band was Pink Floyd. I got into it largely due to an English teacher I had who was really big on them. The first time I ever listened to The Dark Side of the Moon in 2005 changed me forever.

Pink Floyd was not only my first "proper" introduction to music, but paved the way for discovering online communities as well. I joined the Pink Floyd Online forum in late-ish 2005, which ultimately resulted in me meeting the people who introduced me to FES. So really, you have The Dark Side of the Moon to thank for this forum's existence.

And then you got banned from that website for haxx0ring it.

Ghost of V

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2014, 04:39:58 PM »
Never really listened to music until I was about 11, when a friend of my mum's gave me a burn of Queen's Greatest Hits and David Bowie's Singles. Those two CDs were all I listened to for about a year. Then when I used to go and stay at my dad's place, he'd give me tapes to listen to, which I did from start to finish pretty much every night I was there. One tape had Metallica's S&M on, another had Pearl Jam's Ten on one side and Counting Crows' August and Everything After on the other. I didn't really 'get' Counting Crows at the time (not sure how, it's just pop basically), so I just listened to Metallica, culminating in me buying my first ever CD, Master of Puppets.

What's your favorite Bowie song? He's one of my favorite musicians.

Eddy Baby

« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2014, 05:35:07 PM »
I'm not a huge fan any more, but I'd have to say either Suffragette City or John, I'm Only Dancing.

(This version, where you can actually hear the vocals):

Ghost of V

« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2014, 05:44:12 PM »
That's a great song. I like his cocaine phase a good bit, Thin White Duke.

I like this song a lot:

Queen Bitch is an awesome song too... But I doubt I'd ever be able to pick a favorite. Station to Station is probably his most engaging album, at least to me.

« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2014, 10:50:35 PM »
Legs And Co.

Rama Set

« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2014, 10:56:46 PM »
Bootsty Collins

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2014, 09:19:41 PM »
I like this song a lot:

Low is an awesome album in general.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.