Ghost of V

lol linux
« on: December 02, 2014, 06:26:22 PM »
I pulled my netbook out of a dusty closet today, probably going to install Windoze 7 on it because reasons.

Anyways, I booted it up and this is what I got. I haven't used this netbook in about 2 years now. Does Ubuntu 9 have a half-life of 1 year?

Anyone have any idea what kind of error/whatever this is? Won't go any further than this. I could just boot from my external disc drive, but I'd like to know if I can fix this beforehand.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 06:29:48 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: lol linux
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 06:33:54 PM »
If your target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init, that's pretty bad. I can't even imagine what you've done to get the system into that state. If you really haven't done anything, I'd suspect hard drive failure.

You can probably fix it if it's not that, but I don't know why you'd bother with Ubuntu. Much better to just install something else.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Ghost of V

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 06:38:08 PM »
If your target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init, that's pretty bad. I can't even imagine what you've done to get the system into that state. If you really haven't done anything, I'd suspect hard drive failure.

You can probably fix it if it's not that, but I don't know why you'd bother with Ubuntu. Much better to just install something else.

I'm planning on installing Windows 7 on it, but if it's hard drive failure then that's going to be a problem.

And no, I haven't done anything. My 'friend' was borrowing the netbook for a while, as I didn't need it at the time, then when he gave it back I just put it up somewhere and forgot about it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 06:50:08 PM by Vauxhall »

Ghost of V

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 08:01:45 AM »
Ended up installing Windows 7 without a hitch. Posting from it now. I'm not entirely satisfied with it's speed but I've yet to make any tweaks, ubuntu was a running a bit faster.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 10:48:54 AM »
Try Debian with Xfce too.
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 04:38:21 PM »

If I put another OS on this thing it will probably be Chrome OS. But unfortunately you can't install chrome OS via disc last time I checked, and my netbook won't boot from a USB for some reason...

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 04:44:23 PM »
Use Ubuntu.  It just works. 

Ghost of V

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 04:47:19 PM »
Use Ubuntu.  It just works.

Until it decides to develop a mind of its own and delete key system files.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 04:48:30 PM »

If I put another OS on this thing it will probably be Chrome OS. But unfortunately you can't install chrome OS via disc last time I checked, and my netbook won't boot from a USB for some reason...
Check that USB boot is enabled in your BIOS. There's also a program called Plop Bootmanager that you can burn to a disc and boot the computer with, and it should allow you to boot from USB. There's probably superior alternatives, but that's the only one I know of.
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 04:49:36 PM »

Check that USB boot is enabled in your BIOS. There's also a program called Plop Bootmanager that you can burn to a disc and boot the computer with, and it should allow you to boot from USB.

That's good to know. I will look into this.

And yeah, it's enabled in the BIOS. I'm not sure what's wrong with it, but it seems to be a built in restriction. Not sure why.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 04:58:16 PM »
Tell me what the brand and model of your computer is and I should be able to tell you how to boot to USB. 

Ghost of V

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 05:03:28 PM »
Tell me what the brand and model of your computer is and I should be able to tell you how to boot to USB.

Acer Aspire One D270

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 05:05:01 PM »
Press F12 during boot. 

Ghost of V

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 05:07:12 PM »

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 05:11:42 PM »

Ghost of V

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 05:20:59 PM »

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 05:22:51 PM »
Press F12 during boot.

Fuck you.

That is what your mom said.

This is an outrage. I am outraged.

Tell that to your mom.  Also, tell her I left my undies next to the bed, and it would be nice if she washed them for me. 

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2014, 05:28:24 PM »
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2014, 05:30:32 PM »
Press F12 during boot.

Fuck you.

That is what your mom said.

This is an outrage. I am outraged.

Tell that to your mom.  Also, tell her I left my undies next to the bed, and it would be nice if she washed them for me.

My mom is dead lol

:'(