Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: New home network hardware
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 03:59:40 AM »
Even the ones you buy run Linux or some form of open source OS.  It boggles my mind that anyone would build a router when they are so cheap. 

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2014, 04:02:01 AM »
It boggles my mind that anyone would build a router when they are so cheap.
But the same could be said about many other DIY endeavours. I once made a desk with my dad, even though we could have easily just bought one cheaper than what we ended up making. It was good fun.

Is fulfilling one's hobby not reason enough?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2014, 05:49:26 AM »
I see your point and raise you 5 euros. 

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2014, 11:53:24 AM »
Even the ones you buy run Linux or some form of open source OS.  It boggles my mind that anyone would build a router when they are so cheap.
Depends on what's available to him.  Pick up a $30,Cisco router and you have a very limited configuration.  Port forwarding, MAC filtering, and some minor firewall rules.  Sometimes its just not enough.  Especially if you plan for a large amount of simultanious connections.  That $30 router isn't going to be able to handle a huge load of say... 100 active connections.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2014, 07:02:53 PM »
Pick up a cheap router and replace the firmware with open source firmware.  That will get rid of any built in limitations.  Also, it is a home network.  He is not going to have dozens or hundreds of devices on the Network, or did you miss that part of the thread title? 

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2014, 07:08:53 PM »
Pick up a cheap router and replace the firmware with open source firmware.  That will get rid of any built in limitations.  Also, it is a home network.  He is not going to have dozens or hundreds of devices on the Network, or did you miss that part of the thread title?
Have you seen his hardware?
He's not building this just so he can stream music to his phone.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2014, 11:10:59 PM »
You really don't need all that shit.

Making a desk is fine if a) its cheaper or b) it's custom made to your own spec.

I mean, congratulations for having a hobby but it doesn't seem to solve a problem you couldn't solve with a few dollars in an electrical store.