Thork

Re: Windows 8.1 update
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2014, 11:28:19 PM »
If I could get one of the two for free, I'd definitely go for the Surface Pro. My 200 euro smartphone does everything an iPad does and more, just on a smaller screen. The Surface Pro at least comes with Windows, so I can do Windows things in it.
Honestly, you wouldn't after using them both.

The surface pro is just too small and fiddly to do any real work. Get a laptop for generating content (MS office, visual studio, whatever it is you do on a laptop that can't be done on a tablet) and get a tablet for watching vids on the train or reading your e-mails, or browsing the internet and reading.

If you can think of a single reason to buy a surface, I'd love to know what it is. Its incredibly difficult to do any real work on it unless you connect it to a proper monitor, mouse and keyboard. at which stage you may as well have got a laptop.

Also the price is ridiculous for what it is.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2014, 11:36:07 PM »
The iPad's price is also ridiculous for what it is. I wouldn't actually ever buy either one, but if given a choice between the two, I'm sure I'd get more out of a Surface Pro.

Thork

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2014, 11:37:35 PM »
The iPad's price is also ridiculous for what it is. I wouldn't actually ever buy either one, but if given a choice between the two, I'm sure I'd get more out of a Surface Pro.
Like what? I'm curious. At work we use the surface pro to push down on a noisy fan in a server to stop it buzzing.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2014, 11:47:08 PM »
Uh, like the ability to use Windows programs for instance? Even if it's not a fully fledged laptop, it's still closer to it than a tablet is. Tablets are just oversized smartphones without the actual phone part. If I wanted to just watch videos or browse the internet, it would be more convenient for me to pull out my phone from my pocket than an iPad from my bag. If I need to get actual work done, the Surface Pro is still much better for it than an iPad. But obviously, a laptop would be better than either of the two. Hence why I wouldn't buy either one.

Thork

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2014, 11:51:10 PM »
Uh, like the ability to use Windows programs for instance?
Like what? I'm curious because as I said, its too small for most things. Give an example of something you would use it for.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2014, 11:52:22 PM »
Photoshop? Video games?? Also, despite herp proprietary suftware, Windows is still far more customizable than iOS.

Thork

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2014, 11:59:51 PM »
Photoshop? What kind of shooping are you going to do on a 10 inch screen with a touchpad? Games? Ipad has games. Games made for iPad. The surface isn't going to give you any better graphics etc. Lower resolution screen, not much extra grunt and again a 10 inch screen. You don't need graphical power to run tiny screens like that. It ruins the experience of any proper game.

Wanna play games and use photshop ... get a laptop. Not a surface. That's madness.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2014, 12:02:37 AM »
:th*rk:
The Mastery.

Thork

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2014, 12:06:07 AM »
:th*rk:
Go back to CN until you learn how to construct a sentence.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2014, 12:07:16 AM »
>being this mad
The Mastery.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2014, 12:08:58 AM »
iPad games are shitty smartphone games, Thork. And I'm more concerned about PPI than the actual screen size, and the Surface Pro is decent in that regard since it does display at 1080p. As long as everything is scaled properly, it's essentially the same as using my 1080p monitor but at a shorter viewing distance.

Also, I'm still not actually getting one, jeez!! Why don't you try to explain what I'd get out of an iPad for a change?

Thork

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2014, 12:14:18 AM »
Why don't you try to explain what I'd get out of an iPad for a change?

I did explain. Better cameras, cellular, better screen resolution, lighter, costs less, longer battery life, no crappy keypad mat, better screen dimensions, OS made for touch ...

And I'm more concerned about PPI than the actual screen size,
ipad is 226 PPI, surface pro is 206 PPI.

and the Surface Pro is decent in that regard since it does display at 1080p.
Yet its camera only records in 720dpi. Annoying huh?

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2014, 12:24:11 AM »
Why don't you try to explain what I'd get out of an iPad for a change?

I did explain. Better cameras, cellular, better screen resolution, lighter, costs less, longer battery life, no crappy keypad mat, better screen dimensions, OS made for touch ...

Uhh... the battery life is nice, I'll give you that one. It's still an oversized smartphone without the phone.

And I'm more concerned about PPI than the actual screen size,
ipad is 226 PPI, surface pro is 206 PPI.

Uh, so they're both fine? Or are you suggesting the iPad's pixel density is bad?

and the Surface Pro is decent in that regard since it does display at 1080p.
Yet its camera only records in 720dpi. Annoying huh?

So I'd just use my phone's camera instead, big fucking whoop. The iPad's camera is also awful.

Thork

« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2014, 12:25:28 AM »
I still don't know why you'd pick the inferior machine just because it runs windows? If you want laptop capability, get a laptop. this does not work as a tablet and doesn't compete with laptops anywhere near the price. Its a monstrosity.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2014, 12:29:33 AM »
Because it's still less of a monstrosity than the iPad. That's all there is to is, really.

And I really wish it didn't compete with laptops at that price point. For whatever reason 1080p still isn't a market standard for laptops, and it's retarded.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2014, 12:32:15 AM »
Better cameras

No one uses a tablet as their camcorder. Moot point.

, cellular

Lolwut? What does this even mean? Are you high?

better screen resolution

A shitty screen resolution that no standards actually support. It's just Apple being retarded, like when they decided they weren't going to put HDMI in their laptops anymore.

, lighter

My phone is lighter than your iPad. It must be better.

, costs less

Because it does less.

, longer battery life

Also because it does less.

, no crappy keypad mat

No keyboard at all, you mean.

, better screen dimensions

What does this even mean?

, OS made for touch ...

Yeah, it's called Windows 8. The OS on the iPad is, funny enough, not an OS at all. It's a glorified iPhone interface.

I still don't know why you'd pick the inferior machine just because it runs windows? If you want laptop capability, get a laptop. this does not work as a tablet and doesn't compete with laptops anywhere near the price. Its a monstrosity.

Look at the price of Ultrabooks, Thork. The Surface Pro is a much better deal than any of them. I'm not trying to argue that the Surface Pro is "better" than the iPad because they're not even remotely the same thing. The iPad is just a really big iPhone without the phone. Like Blanko said, there is no reason to have an iPad. Ever.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 12:34:15 AM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2014, 12:43:21 AM »
What are iPads even used for?
The Mastery.

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2014, 01:07:40 AM »
What are iPads even used for?

Looking hip.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2014, 01:08:47 AM »
It's the midlife crisis. See, it's all starting to make sense.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2014, 01:14:15 AM »
I have used an iPad, Surface Pro, and Surface RT.

Know what I've discovered?  If you need access to a spreadsheet or pictures or something while you walk around then any tablet will work for you.  I've also seen AT&T salesmen use tablets to access the webpage for better service.  Though they need a special hand holder to hold the ipad.

But here's what a surface Pro will do that an ipad won't:
Connect to a windows domain.  Access to files, webpages, printers, and any special software you need to monitor your servers.  Plus Powershell.

What makes it better than a laptop is the battery life vs weight.  The hard keyboard is pretty good but if you're on the go and need to type something up, the tablet will last longer than a laptop of similar weight.

That being said, I have both a surface RT and an iPad in my office and both sit in my desk doing nothing.  When I need to do work, I use my desktop.  When I need to look something up out in the field, I pull out my smartphone.  Anything else is pointless for me.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.