Saddam Hussein

On option of deleting threads but on not deleting threads
« on: June 29, 2015, 08:21:02 PM »
For whatever reason, it looks like Yaakov has been deleting some threads he began in PR&S, thus depriving the community of worthwhile discussions that members put a lot of thought and effort into.  I'd like to suggest that, as was done on old FES, we disable the feature that allows the OP of a thread to delete it, at least in the serious forums, and restore the threads already deleted.  The OP doesn't own the thread, and it's not right to let them erase the contributions of other people.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: On option of deleting threads but on not deleting threads
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 11:19:00 PM »
Assuming this hasn't changed after my resignation, all "deleted" threads are moved to a hidden forum as a countermeasure to this exact issue. Parsifal also has very frequent backups of the database, so even if the threads are actually gone, they can be restored.

That said, I agree that some form of control should be implemented here. Deleting your own post is one thing, deleting dozens of others' replies is another.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 11:30:16 PM »
They are in the Quarantine, so yes, restoring them is very easy. I'd rather respect the right to remove one's own threads as long as it's allowed, however.

I personally agree that being able to remove other people's posts isn't a good thing, but I'll wait and see what people have to say about it before I make any action.

Offline JRowe

• Slowly being driven insane by RE nonsense
    • View Profile
    • Dual Earth Theory
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 11:50:48 PM »
If you remove someone's ability to delete a thread they start, presumably they could still hit edit/modify and erase the text in their posts. Functionally that's deleting.

Deleting posts on a forum is never going to be perfect. As soon as someone quotes you, that post is there to stay. I think everyone here should be aware of that: there could be a consequence for any post. Removing the ability to delete a thread is just going to make that kind of deletion the same as any other: if someone quotes you, your post is there, otherwise there's nothing.
All that's left is the knowledge they once posted something, which would be the case for most other post deletions.

Other discussion can happen in a thread, and it shouldn't be up to the OP for whether or not they could remove that. I don't think the OP owns the posts others make in what they started: look at how often some threads go off topic. The discussion can still be interesting.

My DE model explained here.
Open to questions, but if you're curious start there rather than expecting me to explain it all from scratch every time.

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 04:55:40 AM »
I agree with the OP. Does no one remember when Dann went full retard on the old FES and killed tons of quality content?
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 10:49:00 PM »
It looks like we're the only ones who care.  I guess it's five to zero in favor of disabling that feature?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 11:05:45 PM »
I am also in favor of disabling the ability to delete threads.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 01:34:21 AM »
I am in favor as well. 

Rama Set

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 02:50:51 AM »
It would be nice if you could delete posts less than 1 minute old in case one gets a case of rage and then immediately regrets hitting post.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 03:00:13 AM »
It would be nice if you could delete posts less than 1 minute old in case one gets a case of rage and then immediately regrets hitting post.

You could just edit the content of the post to '.', or whatever.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 03:36:00 AM »
We're not talking about deleting posts, just deleting threads.  If someone is ruining discussions by mass-deleting posts, we can just prohibit that one person from deleting their posts.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 03:48:19 AM »
We're not talking about deleting posts, just deleting threads.  If someone is ruining discussions by mass-deleting posts, we can just prohibit that one person from deleting their posts.

I don't agree with that solution. Something tells me that the sort of person who mass deletes their posts isn't contributing anything very substantial to any discussion, anyway.

Thork

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 08:49:39 AM »
Or it could be they are posting something that could be deemed illegal in their country, such as 'hate speech', copyright breach or libel and wish to clean up behind themselves afterwards.

My feelings are no one but a moderator should be able to delete my posts and even they need a damned good reason.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 02:59:42 PM »
I'd be in favour of a less radical solution - restore the threads, slap Yaakov on the wrist, and make it a rule that abusing the thread deletion feature will get that feature taken away from you (n.b. not from everyone).

However, I'd also strongly prefer the more radical solution to the current inactivity surrounding this subject.

Thork

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 07:22:51 PM »
I was looking for a thread about the Confederate flag. I posted some pictures of the Dukes of Hazzard car, asking what will be done with the flag on that.

I searched the forum for 'Hazzard' as its an unusual word, and no returns. Am I to assume Yaakov has deleted MY posts and opinions on this?

And I was right. This idiot is about to devalue the crap out of his car
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33393860

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 07:41:20 PM »
I was looking for a thread about the Confederate flag. I posted some pictures of the Dukes of Hazzard car, asking what will be done with the flag on that.

I searched the forum for 'Hazzard' as its an unusual word, and no returns. Am I to assume Yaakov has deleted MY posts and opinions on this?

Yes, deleting a thread causes everything in that thread to be deleted. Don't try to restart the discussion in S&C of all places. You can make a new thread about the Confederate flag if you'd like, and we can merge the threads if we choose to restore the original thread.

Rama Set

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2015, 11:28:20 AM »

Oh sorry.  Yeah I am in favor of people not being able to delete threads but having the option available of having a moderator do it for them.

Offline Misero

• Evidence, Evidence, Evidence, and more Evidence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2015, 12:42:22 PM »
That's how I see a lot of forums work.
Nobody should ever follow my standard.  I am the worst moderator ever.
Yes, I'll still keep that in mind on this forum too.

Thork

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2015, 01:54:30 PM »

Yes, deleting a thread causes everything in that thread to be deleted. Don't try to restart the discussion in S&C of all places. You can make a new thread about the Confederate flag if you'd like, and we can merge the threads if we choose to restore the original thread.
I would have tried to continue the discussion in the appropriate thread, had it still existed. I even went to the trouble of searching for it.

Anyway, this shouldn't be up for debate. Another user shouldn't be able to delete my posts. Blank out his own OP if he must, but not delete MY content. That's just stupid.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2015, 01:59:01 PM »
I would have tried to continue the discussion in the appropriate thread, had it still existed. I even went to the trouble of searching for it.
Thork, please, for a change everyone shares your opinion. Stop being a Thork for a moment.