Expedition
« on: April 30, 2017, 02:34:52 AM »
Why haven't the LFat earth supporters put together an antarctic expedition to prove the theory of an ice wall?

Re: Expedition
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 05:17:05 PM »
Anyone, anyone at all.... Hello......

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 02:48:55 AM »
What good would it be to prove that there is a 150 foot wall of ice at the Antarctic coast when the Round Earth Theory also postulates that there is a wall of ice at its coast?

Rama Set

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 10:24:04 AM »
What good would it be to prove that there is a 150 foot wall of ice at the Antarctic coast when the Round Earth Theory also postulates that there is a wall of ice at its coast?

It doesn't predict the same thing and that difference would be indisputable proof that the Earth, not a Globe.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 03:01:00 PM »

It doesn't predict the same thing and that difference would be indisputable proof that the Earth, not a Globe.

Round Earth Theory also says that there is a 150 foot wall at the coast of Antarctica known as Ice Shelves and Ice Walls. The only difference is the length of Antarctica's coast, which appears as a rim continent in the monopole model.

If we were to risk our lives and travel along the harsh and freezing waters of the Antarctic coast and find it to be a continent, what benefit would it really get us? We would just say that the Flat Earth models where Antarctica is a continent is the most correct.

Once there, if we were to find that Antarctica actually was a rim continent, we may very well find ourselves unprepared and ill-supplied for the length of journey, harsh conditions, and the navigational challenges of getting back home, and perish in the process. So, there is no significant benefit of doing this, really.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 03:13:28 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 04:50:11 PM »

Round Earth Theory also says that there is a 150 foot wall at the coast of Antarctica known as Ice Shelves and Ice Walls. The only difference is the length of Antarctica's coast, which appears as a rim continent in the monopole model.

If we were to risk our lives and travel along the harsh and freezing waters of the Antarctic coast and find it to be a continent, what benefit would it really get us? We would just say that the Flat Earth models where Antarctica is a continent is the most correct.

Once there, if we were to find that Antarctica actually was a rim continent, we may very well find ourselves unprepared and ill-supplied for the length of journey, harsh conditions, and the navigational challenges of getting back home, and perish in the process. So, there is no significant benefit of doing this, really.

I agree. Why risk our lives with all this exploration nonsense? Much better to study our universe from our basements.

Toss Zeteticism out our windows. (You may need to leave the basement for this.)

Youtube, the best invention since potato chips!

“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Rama Set

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 06:39:52 PM »

A substantial difference.

That doesn't seem worthwhile? Ok. I guess you aren't that concerned with the truth.

The journey has been undertaken hundreds, if not thousands, of times. If you were unprepared, then it is because you didn't, well, prepare.

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 08:56:43 PM »

Surely you would go prepared for it to be size that is shown in various flat earth maps which many here believe are correct.

One question - how would you know where you are?  What would you use to navigate?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 02:02:57 AM »
Yes, let's stay in our basement and let other people circumnavigate Antarctica......and quite often in fact:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vend%C3%A9e_Globe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Sanders
http://yachtpals.com/boating/antarctica-boats
http://spi-ace-expedition.ch/
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-22/sailor-attempts-world-record-to-circumnavigate-antarctica/8201750
http://www.acronautic.com/antartica-cup-ocean-race/

Or we could let someone else do a polar circumnavigation for us:
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/first-circumnavigation-via-both-poles-surface

How can we ensure that they actually performed a complete circumnavigation of Antarctica and did not simply travel along its coast for the requisite distance it is supposed to be under the Round Earth model and then head Northwards back towards warmer waters? I suspect that those people aren't doing too much verification and exploration of the Antarctic coast to ensure a complete circumnavigation was made, considering quotes like these, which we found in videos of a yacht race which supposedly went around Antarctica in 2006/07:

"There are very few people who have finished this race who started it."

"You're fighting to stay alive. You know that if you make a bad decision that you'll never come back again."

"To do this is suicide."

"The conditions are extremely brutal and extremely dangerous."

"Lifespan in the water is measured in minutes."

It does not appear as if there is too much initiative to make sure your boat went around the entire circumference of Antarctica to me.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 02:19:50 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 02:32:24 AM »
Surely you would go prepared for it to be size that is shown in various flat earth maps which many here believe are correct.

One would need to assume that there are not any ocean pathways that lead outside of our local area when following the coast. You are kind of assuming that this is a big uniform circle. You might be sending us to a death sentence.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 02:34:07 AM by Tom Bishop »

Rama Set

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 07:04:46 AM »
It's too bad you are so talented at finding reasons not to do this.  If it were the other way around, you could settle the question once and for all.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 03:08:17 PM »
It's too bad you are so talented at finding reasons not to do this.  If it were the other way around, you could settle the question once and for all.

Are you really demanding that I put my life at risk for a few curious people on the internet? I am not interested in going on a trek what may or may not lead to my death. I see that you are here posting comments on The Flat Earth Society. If you are interested in the subject of the Antarctic coastline, have at it.

I don't even support the Antarctic rim model, so I don't see how the burden falls on me anymore than you.

Rama Set

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 03:45:00 PM »
Are you really demanding that I put my life at risk for a few curious people on the internet? I am not interested in going on a trek what may or may not lead to my death. I see that you are here posting comments on The Flat Earth Society. If you are interested in the subject of the Antarctic coastline, have at it.

I don't even support the Antarctic rim model, so I don't see how the burden falls on me anymore than you.

Stop being a drama queen, I never demanded anything.  Just for all your talk about the importance of experiment and observation, you don't actually do very much.  I mean, you wouldn't even hold a measuring stick in front of your eyes! To quote your Commander-in-Chief, "SAD!"

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 05:12:20 PM »

Stop being a drama queen, I never demanded anything.  Just for all your talk about the importance of experiment and observation, you don't actually do very much.  I mean, you wouldn't even hold a measuring stick in front of your eyes! To quote your Commander-in-Chief, "SAD!"

It's not like that at all. I believe that Antarctica is a continent. And if you read through that thread you are referencing you will find I did agree that it was possible to connect the moon and the sun with the string and had no issue with the video which someone posted that demonstrated that the moon could be connected to the sun -- my argument was with what it implied. Why would I perform experiments on subjects which I had no contention or disagreement with?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 08:12:25 PM by Tom Bishop »

Rama Set

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2017, 05:15:18 PM »

It's not like that at all. I believe that Antarctica is a continent. And if you read through that thread you are referencing you will find I did agree that it was possible to connect the moon and with the string and had no issue with the video which someone posted that demonstrated that the moon could be connected to the sun -- my argument was with what it implied. Why would I perform experiments on subjects which I had no contention or disagreement with?

I can see you are so mired in your desire not to do experimentation that this conversation is pointless.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2017, 08:17:13 PM »

It's not like that at all. I believe that Antarctica is a continent. And if you read through that thread you are referencing you will find I did agree that it was possible to connect the moon and with the string and had no issue with the video which someone posted that demonstrated that the moon could be connected to the sun -- my argument was with what it implied. Why would I perform experiments on subjects which I had no contention or disagreement with?

I can see you are so mired in your desire not to do experimentation that this conversation is pointless.

I have to do experiments on subjects I have no disagreement with now? Do I need to prove the existence of gnomes because someone posted in one of the forums that he believes that gnomes exist?

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 12:27:34 AM »
I don't get it Tom Bishop. You say you believe that Antarctica is a continent and yet in this thread you argue against the veracity of all of the evidence of people circumnavigating that continent, which should be quite possible on a bipolar flat earth. Furthermore, in other threads, you have posted links to info in the Wiki based on the unipolar model when it seems you believe in the bipolar model of the flat earth. Do you even know what you believe?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 08:18:51 PM »
I don't get it Tom Bishop. You say you believe that Antarctica is a continent and yet in this thread you argue against the veracity of all of the evidence of people circumnavigating that continent, which should be quite possible on a bipolar flat earth. Furthermore, in other threads, you have posted links to info in the Wiki based on the unipolar model when it seems you believe in the bipolar model of the flat earth. Do you even know what you believe?

I believe Antarctica to be a continent, but I would not blindly follow the Antarctic coast, in the case it were not one.

The people who claimed to have circumnavigated it may not me the most reliable sources. I believe that when we last looked at this subject those circumnavigations are done out in the open ocean in high latitudes far away from Antarctica. Those racers don't see any landmass at all.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 08:20:51 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2017, 12:05:02 AM »

I believe Antarctica to be a continent, but I would not blindly follow the Antarctic coast, in the case it were not one.

The people who claimed to have circumnavigated it may not me the most reliable sources. I believe that when we last looked at this subject those circumnavigations are done out in the open ocean in high latitudes far away from Antarctica. Those racers don't see any landmass at all.

You seem to live in a world filled with unreliable sources. But if they are actually reporting their route and the distance traveled which is quite easy to do in this day and age of gps, then the distance they traveled would make the ice ring impossible, and also would prove that the continent is smaller than the average diameter of the route they traveled. So actually viewing the coastline they circled would not be necessary to set an upper limit on how big Antarctica could be. Also, any ocean race like this has checkpoints along the route that every yacht must pass in the correct sequence in order to prevent the kind of shortcuts and cheating you suggest might have occurred.

As for a more reputable source, there is the one that involved teams of scientists from all over the world, also with several stops and ports along the way that they visited in sequence, including stops on the actual continent: http://spi-ace-expedition.ch/

And here is a group that is trying to prove the flat earth with high altitude balloons instead of a circumnavigation: https://www.facebook.com/copernicusproject1/
Of course they are doomed to fail if the flat earth is bipolar.

PS: The most recent winner of the Vendee Globe race covered 24,500 nautical miles from start to finish. Not enough for a circumnavigation at that latitude on the unipolar flat earth map (and that total includes the travel to and from France in the Northern Hemisphere). http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/ranking-and-race-data
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 12:20:42 AM by Nirmala »