Offline Spingo

• View Profile
Map Projections
« on: December 04, 2018, 06:43:56 AM »
There to my mind has always been some confusion over cartography and map projections in the flat earth world . At the last count there are well over 20 taking into account all the variations. The question is why so many? The answer is to do with the difficulty of mapping the surface of a spherical body on to a more convienient flat sheet of paper which induces different kinds of distortion depending upon the projection method used. Possibly the most accurate is the AuthaGraph system. But at the end of the day, world maps only really have pictorial value. If you were to do some serious navigation like trecking in a remote mountain range you would opt for a map such as a 1:25,000 scale, where every 4 cm on the map equals 1 km in the real world.

Somehow flat earth believers have seen all these various projections as some indication that there is some confusion about the shape of the world! This is of course false, so it’s important we put that one to rest right now. As I’ve previously said it’s just the old orange skin problem of how to best represent the curved surface of a sphere on a convienient flat sheet of paper you could stick on a classroom or government wall. For most practical uses these world maps find little use in real world navigation, where large scale maps that show more detail are more appropriate.

One of the things that has really astonished me are when flat earth believers talk about making an alternative world map! Which is of course an impossibility. The work and time required to map even a small area is immense the idea of an individual doing it is beyond even wishful thinking moving well into make believe. César-François Cassini de Thury The famous French cartographer spent his whole life trying to map France. He sadly died before it’s completion, this being eventually done by his son. You would be too late in any case as the world has been pretty well mapped. The shape, dimensions and relative position of all the land masses and main topographical features are known so no need for any alternative!

While I think there are reasons to be sceptical about the moon landings, maps and their validity is an entirely different matter.

Offline Spingo

• View Profile
Re: Map Projections
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 07:50:24 PM »
Can I take it as no one disagrees with my post that the flat earth community agrees with the points I am making in regard to maps and map projections in general?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 08:16:08 PM »
Can I take it as no one disagrees with my post that the flat earth community agrees with the points I am making in regard to maps and map projections in general?

Having no replies to a thread within ~1 day is not indicative of whether people agree or disagree. You can interpret it however you want, but refrain from bumping threads without adding anything to them (especially if you are just fishing for whatever confirmation you hope to receive).

Offline Spingo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 08:33:33 PM »

Having no replies to a thread within ~1 day is not indicative of whether people agree or disagree. You can interpret it however you want, but refrain from bumping threads without adding anything to them (especially if you are just fishing for whatever confirmation you hope to receive).

I was not making a statement I was just asking a straightforward question, which I see no harm in doing. No one was disadvantaged, abused or made to feel bad. Just a harmless question. I’ll make sure in future I’ll not repeat.
But while you are here do you have an opinion?