Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Solar Roadways
« Reply #220 on: June 14, 2014, 01:20:22 AM »
What rooster said.

The project is going slow.  They built their own version in their own environment.
Next they'll build a parking lot or small road section in public.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 14, 2014, 04:14:21 AM »
When the numbers are only a portion of your argument and you can't get them right, what other misinformation are you spreading?
Seemingly none, given how much you cling to the fact that ballpark numbers are ballpark numbers.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #222 on: June 14, 2014, 05:03:14 AM »
Being orders of magnitude off is hardly in the ballpark.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 14, 2014, 01:35:54 PM »
Being orders of magnitude off is hardly in the ballpark.
I rest my case. You have nothing, other than a claim that the ridiculous numbers should be different ridiculous numbers.

« Reply #224 on: June 14, 2014, 02:12:58 PM »
So I guess accuracy isn't at all important when trying to refute an argument?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: June 14, 2014, 02:36:48 PM »
Can we at least agree that the project is not done yet and requires more testing and final numbers on implementation and longevity?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 14, 2014, 02:50:39 PM »
Welcome to The Flat Earth Society.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 14, 2014, 11:06:13 PM »
That's the very point you're responding to right now, yes.

He isn't helping his case by using faulty numbers.
When the numbers are multiple orders of magnitude outside of anything realistic or practical, accuracy isn't all that necessary.

« Reply #228 on: June 15, 2014, 12:06:48 AM »
This has my full support.
The pictures really do it for me.
I wonder has he tested a Prius on the panels yet.

Interesting.

« Reply #229 on: June 15, 2014, 12:30:42 AM »
Can we at least agree that the project is not done yet and requires more testing and final numbers on implementation and longevity?

I suppose. But its never going to pave USAmericas roads. Ever.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 15, 2014, 02:13:14 AM »

I suppose. But its never going to pave USAmericas roads. Ever.
You're probably right.  Even if the technology was dirt cheap, lasted 100 years, and was proven to produce enough energy for us to sell to Canada AND Mexico it would never pave American roads.

Americans are just too damn stupid.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 15, 2014, 02:45:38 AM »
Even if the technology was dirt cheap, lasted 100 years, and was proven to produce enough energy for us to sell to Canada AND Mexico it would never pave American roads.
Then its just as well that it's none of those things.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

« Reply #232 on: June 15, 2014, 03:11:24 PM »
Americans are just too damn stupid.

Well if it did all of those things then it probably would get picked up. I imagine BP would snap them up in a jiffy. Maybe they still will. There might be some innovation in the company that's worth buying. In the long run, from the perspective of the company, that's probably the best outcome. .... googles.... oh aparently Scott and Julie hold no patents on the technology ... which is cool because free software and all that ... but now BP will fuck them til they look like tubes.

This actually makes me sad. He and his wife seem like a cool people but they just needs to cover their bases and reign in the ideas.

Here's a TED talk Scott did:

I didn't watch the whole thing, but skipping through he starts talking about creating a water filtration system from road surface run off. And covering roads with recycled trash. And recharging electric cars (why no nuclear cars >:( )

He just needs to be reigned in. His wife is probably just as bad as him in terms of untethered dreams.

Think about Segway. Segway was a brilliant, largely finished product, that did a simple thing based on innovative sensors and software. According to the hype Segway was going to revolutionise the world. Roads and cities were going to be rebuilt around this new device. It never happened.

Now imagine if Segway was covered in special paint that made it more streamlined and efficient, and it had special sensors that were linked to a satellite network so you could perform maintenance checks remotely, and it had lasers to detect nearby electrical charging points.

Now imagine all these features were only half developed. Now imagine how even less successful Segway would have been.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 15, 2014, 03:26:05 PM »
I definitely agree about getting his ideas reigned in. They need to focus on the practical real world possibilities. If that works out then they can think about military spy panels and the like.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 15, 2014, 03:49:04 PM »
I definitely agree about getting his ideas reigned in. They need to focus on the practical real world possibilities. If that works out then they can think about military spy panels and the like.
Agreed.

« Reply #235 on: June 16, 2014, 05:19:50 PM »
Military supply panels was a stupid pitch. The government already has those. NASA uses them to survey other planets.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

« Reply #236 on: June 16, 2014, 07:38:53 PM »
I really want to donate to this, but can anyone tell me why they need public funding in the first place?
I was thinking of donating, but then I thought, why wouldn't the state fund this?

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 16, 2014, 07:58:44 PM »
As I recall, they did get some state (or federal) funding.  That's how they paid for the prototypes.

Ghost of V

« Reply #238 on: June 16, 2014, 08:03:10 PM »
I really want to donate to this, but can anyone tell me why they need public funding in the first place?
I was thinking of donating, but then I thought, why wouldn't the state fund this?

They don't fund it because its quite frankly a stupid idea that will not take off. The reasons for this have been explained thoroughly in this thread.

You should spend your money on Nuclear Freakin Roadways instead.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 16, 2014, 08:08:58 PM »

They don't fund it because its quite frankly a stupid idea that will not take off. The reasons for this have been explained thoroughly in this thread.

You should spend your money on Nuclear Freakin Roadways instead.
False. The Federal Highway Administration funded two prototypes.

http://www.solarroadways.com/faq.shtml#faqTesting
We have been working for years with just the two of us and a handful of volunteers. We have now reached the point that we need a team of engineers to help us make some final adjustments in our panels and streamline the production process to bring costs down and allow us to produce them more quickly. That is exactly what we are going to use the funding for. We are proud to start offering jobs, the more funds we get, the more we can offer. We can also start building machinery for assembly of the Solar Road Panels. You wouldn't believe how many solar cells we broke while assembling 108 prototype panels!

We don't know where the misconception has come from that we need to pay for projects. The Federal Highway Administration funded two prototypes for us and now we have a very long list of potential customers waiting for our panels to be ready for purchase.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 08:11:01 PM by rooster »